MD Oil Gauge Line Size?

lbg57

On a MD, what is the size of the oil line running up the block to the gauge?

It does not specify in the parts manual.

On line you see tubing kits that are either 1/8" or 1/4" line. 

What is the correct size? Thanks.

Not my 450D or gas or LP.  They're all 1/8 tube.  My LP seems to still have the original steel line, the others have copper.  I had trouble finding the male compression to screw into the block fitting and gauge adapter.  The female nut is readily available.  I get copper line by the foot from the hardware store.

6 minutes ago, pete23 said:

1/4th inch is correct for all the old letter series Farmalls.   

Hey Pete,

Do you recall having issues with Oil Pressure gauges getting "pulsed" to death on MD's?  My oil pressure gauge needle is always vibrating and it messed the calibration up on my new Rochester gauge in a few hours.  The needle is constantly vibrating about the width of the "L".  My mechanic tells me it is caused with by how the top side of the motor is lubed which causes pulsing.  The coolant temp gauge needle is rock steady.

I'm thinking of adding a snubber.

Thanks,

Dan

An orfice in line would be a a good idea.  A lot of oil gauges do have a small orfice right at the gauge itself.  The oil pump is driven by camshaft and if it has excessive end play in camshaft that can happen.  Also, the key in camshaft and gear.  

35 minutes ago, pete23 said:

An orfice in line would be a a good idea.  A lot of oil gauges do have a small orfice right at the gauge itself.  The oil pump is driven by camshaft and if it has excessive end play in camshaft that can happen.  Also, the key in camshaft and gear.  

pete23 the  front journal of the camshaft  is grooved to meter oil to something do you recollect where that oil goes the groove is maybe I/4 wide by  1 1/2 long . 

24 minutes ago, R190 said:

pete23 the  front journal of the camshaft  is grooved to meter oil to something do you recollect where that oil goes the groove is maybe I/4 wide by  1 1/2 long . 

This is what my mechanic was talking about.

My tractor has a new cam and gear plus had the oil pump gone through.  It did it with the old hardware also.  When I asked my mechanic about it, he told me about that metering causing a small pulse which could make my gauge dance.

5 hours ago, MCC said:

This is what my mechanic was talking about.

My tractor has a new cam and gear plus had the oil pump gone through.  It did it with the old hardware also.  When I asked my mechanic about it, he told me about that metering causing a small pulse which could make my gauge dance.

I know it lubes the timing gears through a orfice plug and assume it supplies oil to the rocker arm assembly up through block and head.   How do I know about the orfice plug.  Well, first one I did a complete overhaul, had all oil gallery plugs out and when I started the engine, had oil squirting out one of the oil gallery plugs. Yep, it was supposed to go in under the front cover and I never noticed it had a small hole in the plug. 

Archived