farmall666

966 VS 4020

HOW DO THEY COMPARE...

Man verses girl

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

966 all day long. I'm not biased or anything Haha.  I don't think even 2 4020s compare to 1 966  😆

• Haha 1

I should have said Bruce verses Catlyn 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Read the Nebraska tests. Other than that both were good reliable tractors.

Rick

• Like 1

Are we talking chore tractor/field use? Or just general all around? 

6 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Are we talking chore tractor/field use? Or just general all around? 

Heck when both were produced they were prime movers. Today? Both are a little old/small for either in our area. We got guys running 150+HP tractors to run augers, feed bales and blow snow. Starting to see guys with wheel loaders feeding out of bunker silos.

Rick

If I had to put a loader on one it be the 4020 other than that I'd take a 966 over the 4020 or any other brand in that year/size for that matter

Truth be told, both were well before my time. Guys up here are doing the same thing, running 150 HP just to move a couple bales around, I can't quite understand it but to each their own I suppose. I do all my chores with a 766  and I would have to say a 4020 would probably be handier with the way my corrals are setup. However for fieldwork or if it could only be one tractor then I would probably take the 966

How 'bout some pictures of your seven?

Let’s see clunky transmission versus poweshift transmission, open center hydraulics versus closed center hydraulics.

I would gladly take the 4020 for most applications.

In heavy tillage the 966 had better pull more, but it is cruder shifting with slower hydraulic response  than the 4020.

All of that being said, I would gladly take either one of them.  They both are decent, reliable tractors HALF OF A CENTURY LATER!!

• Like 2

966 all day long. Cheaper parts,easier to work on,better fuel economy for it's size, isn't going to go all tea kettle and grab a sleeve doing stationary work. You can do 4020 work with a 966 you sure ain't doing 966 work with a 4020(for long). Ideal scenario is have one of each.

• Like 1

Its funny that everyone on here mentions the JD powershift of that era on the 20 series deeres. The thing is i have never seen one in person and there are quite a few of them around here. The thing is they're all syncro Transmissions. Deere powershifts were next to unheard of around here until they came up with the 15 speed in the 50 series. The only 2 8 speed Deeres around here are a 4840 which only came with a powershift or ironically our backhoe which is a 3020 engine and Transmission with a shuttle shift for forward and reverse.shoved in a backhoe. The 30 and 40 series were mostly quad ranges with a smattering of syncros in there. Been in a 4630 with a Syncro in fact.  Their poweshifts didn't sell until the 15 speed around here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Its funny that everyone on here mentions the JD powershift of that era on the 20 series deeres. The thing is i have never seen one in person and there are quite a few of them around here. The thing is they're all syncro Transmissions. Deere powershifts were next to unheard of around here until they came up with the 15 speed in the 50 series. The only 2 8 speed Deeres around here are a 4840 which only came with a powershift or ironically our backhoe which is a 3020 engine and Transmission with a shuttle shift for forward and reverse.shoved in a backhoe. The 30 and 40 series were mostly quad ranges with a smattering of syncros in there. Been in a 4630 with a Syncro in fact.  Their poweshifts didn't sell until the 15 speed around here.

There was enough PS's around me when I was coming up to say "ah sh!t" when you climbed on and saw the syncrosmash. I like the old eight speeds(except 8th) simple and reliable with a little maintenance. Just change the brakes on time and come to a complete STOP before putting in park. Hired help tore park out three times in one year.After that the boss sentenced me exclusively to 4020 operator.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

How 'bout some pictures of your seven?

She's not too pretty, I'll try to get some pictures up this afternoon

A lot had to do with the Dealer I believe........Deere dealer here local to me ordered syncros and quads for the lot and the power shifts I know they sold were ordered.  Dealer the next county over ordered everything, and I mean everything including 4000's with power shifts for the lot,  and the quads and syncros sold were ordered per customer.  

Wish I had a barn full of 4020’s  

They still bring great money in these parts . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

A lot had to do with the Dealer I believe........Deere dealer here local to me ordered syncros and quads for the lot and the power shifts I know they sold were ordered.  Dealer the next county over ordered everything, and I mean everything including 4000's with power shifts for the lot,  and the quads and syncros sold were ordered per customer.  

So that's where all the powershift 4000's came from.(head scratching)

299192314_766fert.thumb.jpg.7d5c27890b39e355619cf6cea7daeba9.jpg2126202805_766loader.thumb.jpg.313bfffb696e11b666e8e3087ba3ada7.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, exSW said:

So that's where all the powershift 4000's came from.(head scratching)

There are 5 here locally that I know of and have seen,  the dealers boys might have one or two more that I haven't seen in person.  The odd part is they all have 2 remotes as well?  Not sure what went on there.  I stopped in the field one time while they were baling straw and a guy I know but who didn't know them seen my truck and stopped to talk to me, this was back a number of years ago after one sold for big money at a sale and this guy I know thought they were 4020's as them stickers were worn off and he told those guys they wouldn't have to bale straw if they were 4000's.......you should have seen his face when he found out the 3 tractors in the field were power shift 4000's........then the neighbors hired man drove by on their 4000 power shift with loader, and I told him, there goes another one.  He almost crapped his pants!

Kind of an apple to oranges comparison since both tractors were on the market together do only a year or two.  I always tend to think of the 66 series vs the 30 series instead of the 20 series.  Although tech wise the 66s lined up more with the 20s.  In the powershifts, our 4020 was a powershift.  It was probaby easier on my 80+ year old great grandpa’s knees.  I have seen other 4020 powershifts but the syncro was more popular.  One thing you don’t see at all hardly is a 30-40 series powershift around here.  I’ve only seen one my entire life.

Big Bud Guy.......why is that?  Needed the field speeds the quad offered?     I will be the odd person out, but I think the quad was the stupidest transmission ever put in a Deere, other than maybe the road map shift gate in the single stick 2 cylinders.  The speed changes vs the ranges aren't spaced well IMO, and the stopping to shift ranges is a pain.  I often marvel how acouple minor changes made and I love the IH STS, but loathe the quad......when the basic concept of the 2 are identical.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Big Bud Guy.......why is that?  Needed the field speeds the quad offered?     

That and probably cost.  Quad range never bothered anybody out here because you stayed in one gear all day long.  I know you don’t like the quad but you would love it after running a Versatile 12 speed crash box in your line of farming.   I lied too.  I should have said not counting 4840s in my earlier post.