FARMALL FIXER

2013 Can Am Maverick 1000 parts

My workaholic Son decided to use some of his vacation time from his job and go to the Black Hills for some ATVing and camping fun last weekend with some of his buddies. Well ...... he got about 2 hrs of enjoyment when the tranny drain plug thought it needed to fall out and leave him stranded in the backwoods of the trail locking up the drive train , they managed to get it towed back to camp and loaded back into the trailer .

We got the tranny taken out and took a looksy inside , it is FRIED AND PETRIFIED and in my opinion not worth rebuilding .

Checked on a price from Can AM a new tranny is $2500 + , no rebuilts are available but could order all the parts separately .

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket company that offers rebuilt ATV transmissions ?

It is a nice low milage rig and would hate to let it go for salvage .

Just now, FARMALL FIXER said:

My workaholic Son decided to use some of his vacation time from his job and go to the Black Hills for some ATVing and camping fun last weekend with some of his buddies. Well ...... he got about 2 hrs of enjoyment when the tranny drain plug thought it needed to fall out and leave him stranded in the backwoods of the trail locking up the drive train , they managed to get it towed back to camp and loaded back into the trailer .

We got the tranny taken out and took a looksy inside , it is FRIED AND PETRIFIED and in my opinion not worth rebuilding .

Checked on a price from Can AM a new tranny is $2500 + , no rebuilts are available but could order all the parts separately .

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket company that offers rebuilt ATV transmissions ?

Find a wreck. There's got to be atv salvage yards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exSW said:

Find a wreck. There's got to be atv salvage yards.

I was kind of thinking along that line also , maybe a good used one .

I find a lot of used parts listed on eBay. 

Try  Ranschau RE:Cycles, Sioux Center IA. 712-722-1925. He salvages cycles and ATV’s, may be able to help you. 

4 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Try  Ranschau RE:Cycles, Sioux Center IA. 712-722-1925. He salvages cycles and ATV’s, may be able to help you. 

Thanks for the help , I will give them a call . Sioux Center isnt all that far away from me , 3 1/2 hours if i remember right . Was just there last Friday for a wedding .

Just now, FARMALL FIXER said:

Thanks for the help , I will give them a call . Sioux Center isnt all that far away from me , 3 1/2 hours if i remember right . Was just there last Friday for a wedding .

You were pretty close then. I’m 15 minutes SW of Sioux Center. FarmerFixEmUp is 15 minutes north. 

You may have heard of the Schuiteman name , one of thier daughters married a good friend of mine from this area . 

Schuiteman is a well known name in the area. 

Just now, ihrondiesel said:

Schuiteman is a well known name in the 

It appeared they are fairly big in livestock . 

Which family?  Joel?

20 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Which family?  Joel?

I think Joel was the brides Fathers name .

Yes, Joel is big into livestock. He custom feeds (guessing a little here) 5-6,000 head of beef cattle and farms a couple thousand acres. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

Aren't Can Ams high end machines ? I'd think an otherwise nice, low use machine would be worth the $2500 repair if no other option could be found rather than salvage

Nobody selling whole aftermarket transmissions that I know of. Best bet is to google search "ATV salvage" and start digging. It appears that there may be a start of a nationwide online parts search like the automotive industry has, but I doubt it's as encompassing as something like carpart.com.

Is the trans trully toasted? It's a simple gear drive unit, I would think the gears and shafts would be mostly salvageable with some new bearings and such. As long as the cases weren't damaged by a spun bearing or heat, you should be able to fix it up cheaper than buying new.

Google mud n wheels. Jarret Burly I believe is his name(don’t quote me though). He may be able to help you. He’s here in camada though. He does a lot of rebuilds on can am diffs and I think he does some gear boxes as well. Good local guy that does good work. 

• Thanks 1