Jump to content
FARMALL FIXER

2013 Can Am Maverick 1000 parts

Recommended Posts

My workaholic Son decided to use some of his vacation time from his job and go to the Black Hills for some ATVing and camping fun last weekend with some of his buddies. Well ...... he got about 2 hrs of enjoyment when the tranny drain plug thought it needed to fall out and leave him stranded in the backwoods of the trail locking up the drive train , they managed to get it towed back to camp and loaded back into the trailer .

We got the tranny taken out and took a looksy inside , it is FRIED AND PETRIFIED and in my opinion not worth rebuilding .

Checked on a price from Can AM a new tranny is $2500 + , no rebuilts are available but could order all the parts separately .

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket company that offers rebuilt ATV transmissions ?

It is a nice low milage rig and would hate to let it go for salvage .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FARMALL FIXER said:

My workaholic Son decided to use some of his vacation time from his job and go to the Black Hills for some ATVing and camping fun last weekend with some of his buddies. Well ...... he got about 2 hrs of enjoyment when the tranny drain plug thought it needed to fall out and leave him stranded in the backwoods of the trail locking up the drive train , they managed to get it towed back to camp and loaded back into the trailer .

We got the tranny taken out and took a looksy inside , it is FRIED AND PETRIFIED and in my opinion not worth rebuilding .

Checked on a price from Can AM a new tranny is $2500 + , no rebuilts are available but could order all the parts separately .

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket company that offers rebuilt ATV transmissions ?

It is a nice low milage rig and would hate to let it go for salvage .

Find a wreck. There's got to be atv salvage yards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, exSW said:

Find a wreck. There's got to be atv salvage yards.

I was kind of thinking along that line also , maybe a good used one .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find a lot of used parts listed on eBay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try  Ranschau RE:Cycles, Sioux Center IA. 712-722-1925. He salvages cycles and ATV’s, may be able to help you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Try  Ranschau RE:Cycles, Sioux Center IA. 712-722-1925. He salvages cycles and ATV’s, may be able to help you. 

Thanks for the help , I will give them a call . Sioux Center isnt all that far away from me , 3 1/2 hours if i remember right . Was just there last Friday for a wedding .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FARMALL FIXER said:

Thanks for the help , I will give them a call . Sioux Center isnt all that far away from me , 3 1/2 hours if i remember right . Was just there last Friday for a wedding .

You were pretty close then. I’m 15 minutes SW of Sioux Center. FarmerFixEmUp is 15 minutes north. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have heard of the Schuiteman name , one of thier daughters married a good friend of mine from this area . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schuiteman is a well known name in the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ihrondiesel said:

Schuiteman is a well known name in the 

It appeared they are fairly big in livestock . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which family?  Joel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Which family?  Joel?

I think Joel was the brides Fathers name .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Joel is big into livestock. He custom feeds (guessing a little here) 5-6,000 head of beef cattle and farms a couple thousand acres. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

My workaholic Son decided to use some of his vacation time from his job and go to the Black Hills for some ATVing and camping fun last weekend with some of his buddies. Well ...... he got about 2 hrs of enjoyment when the tranny drain plug thought it needed to fall out and leave him stranded in the backwoods of the trail locking up the drive train , they managed to get it towed back to camp and loaded back into the trailer .

We got the tranny taken out and took a looksy inside , it is FRIED AND PETRIFIED and in my opinion not worth rebuilding .

Checked on a price from Can AM a new tranny is $2500 + , no rebuilts are available but could order all the parts separately .

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket company that offers rebuilt ATV transmissions ?

It is a nice low milage rig and would hate to let it go for salvage .

Aren't Can Ams high end machines ? I'd think an otherwise nice, low use machine would be worth the $2500 repair if no other option could be found rather than salvage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody selling whole aftermarket transmissions that I know of. Best bet is to google search "ATV salvage" and start digging. It appears that there may be a start of a nationwide online parts search like the automotive industry has, but I doubt it's as encompassing as something like carpart.com.

Is the trans trully toasted? It's a simple gear drive unit, I would think the gears and shafts would be mostly salvageable with some new bearings and such. As long as the cases weren't damaged by a spun bearing or heat, you should be able to fix it up cheaper than buying new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google mud n wheels. Jarret Burly I believe is his name(don’t quote me though). He may be able to help you. He’s here in camada though. He does a lot of rebuilds on can am diffs and I think he does some gear boxes as well. Good local guy that does good work. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...