7120 stopped moving

Son was using 7120 and it just stopped moving, lost tach reading and all hyd functions. I know I've read that there are splines/coupler that let's go, but not sure of the details. Where do I need to split and how involved is the repair? What else needs to be addressed while its apart? The head gasket started leaking this spring as well. We were hoping to get by for haying then get in shop, but looks like other way around, lol, thanks, Robert 

We replaced the flex plate, short shaft and coupler on our 7140 when we had it apart last fall @ around 16,500 hours. Inspect for slop in the splines

It would catch when I started it but as soon as you put a load on it, the tach and all power disappears. I split it under the cab to get at mfd clutches once before, an engine split should be much easier. Have a 10k winch that pulled it on trailer using a snatch block. Trailer didnt really want any more

20190618_204800.jpg

Splits the same place as last time, right at the front of the cab 

Pull starter and take a peep in clutch housing at flex plate (use mirror or camera). If that hasn't failed it is possible that the spline on rear of speed trans input shaft twisted off. This spline drives the pto and hydraulic pump drive. 

13 hours ago, 1958560 said:

It would catch when I started it but as soon as you put a load on it, the tach and all power disappears. I split it under the cab to get at mfd clutches once before, an engine split should be much easier. Have a 10k winch that pulled it on trailer using a snatch block. Trailer didnt really want any more

20190618_204800.jpg

I still can't believe what some of you guys feel comfortable at pulling behind a pickup! WOW!

11 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Pull starter and take a peep in clutch housing at flex plate (use mirror or camera). If that hasn't failed it is possible that the spline on rear of speed trans input shaft twisted off. This spline drives the pto and hydraulic pump drive. 

X2

A number of years ago, one fall I had 2 7140's break the splined end off of the speed input shaft. The first one had 9378 hours on it and the second one had 5788 hours on the clock.  Both were early SN tractors so it was not possible to put the later, updated speed input shaft in them.

2 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Only had to go 6 miles, lol. That same rig brought home our H50c Hough payloader from 60 miles away too. Till it breaks, go for broke, right?

Farmers are farmers,your not loaded untill your overloaded.It looks like you got flat ground that helps a lot. In the  Appalachia mountains it gets kinda touchey when you got a bit much behind you because it could end up infront of you. 

Got it split this afternoon. Drive plate demolished. Head is about ready to come off for gasket replacement. Is there any tricks to getting exhaust manifold bolts out intact? Or just twist them off and weld/drill out later? Anyone know what thread injectors are? I made a slide hammer adapter for my 5288 with a 5/8" fine thread nut, but these are smaller.

20190619_182700.jpg

20190619_200143.jpg

20190619_215009.jpg

If it has many hours I would definitely send the head to be freshened up . 

Injector thread is 12mm, lucky for you it was the torsinal damper. 

Manifold bolts have long been a source of trouble to remove, I have found that soaking with a good snake oil and then tapping in on bolt helps break up rust along with another round of snake oil. Then just start working them........install and torque to 32 ft lbs starting at #3 port and circling out. #3 has 10mm bolt holes in manifold (to locate it) while remaining holes are 11mm to let manifold expand & contract under bolts. 

Archived