Jump to content
bitty

I need to start trapping around the shop .....

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know people who have had them as pets.  Bottom line is this....

1) they are wild animals and regardless of how they are raised, they will always be wild animals

2) they are known to carry diseases transmittable to humans and real pets

3) it’s illegal to possess them as pets (at least in most places)

Trust me I'm not going to get close to any of them unless I can't help it. My sister was bitten by a rabid Fox and she strangled it to death 20 some years ago. Happened 150 yards from my house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bitty said:

IMG_20190618_103030430.thumb.jpg.66e55e2ca28dabe31ff7965bfd71b767.jpgWe just saw these from the shop door ......

I debated getting the shotgun out but passed on that idea

That Chevy looks like it means business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vtfireman85 said:

That Chevy looks like it means business. 

My service truck. We call it the covered wagon. Welder generator, air compressor, air greaser and some tools, usually not quite enough but some tools. It had 201k miles and a rusted out utility bed when I got it. I really should have gotten a dually as it is a little too narrow a bed to fit the welder and air compressor back to back. I have some things I want to add yet but it's not on the front burner currently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my rock river arms ar 15 set up with a red light and a 9 power scope , at night I go outside turn on the light and can see the skunks like night vision through the scope, I shoot em right in the head behind the eyes and they dont even spray

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing that if we're seeing more skunks, they're probably looking for higher ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

That Chevy looks like it means business. 

Gypsy caravan!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bitty said:

Trust me I'm not going to get close to any of them unless I can't help it. My sister was bitten by a rabid Fox and she strangled it to death 20 some years ago. Happened 150 yards from my house

Remind me not to mess with your sister sounds like one tuff woman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bitty said:

What is your address, if it fits it ships may be able to fit the little ones I saw today? 

;)

 

Does usps ship skunk 👀👍🏿

Does your package contain anything hazardous

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Does usps ship skunk 👀👍🏿

Does your package contain anything hazardous

Sure, nothing a little tomato juice won’t fix....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7657C3C7-E529-4244-B126-B58301385500.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NY1468 said:

Sure, nothing a little tomato juice won’t fix....

Fix when ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dogs have a friend that's a skunk. I saw him run across the yard this morning and they just watch him go by. He's been around for over a year now and probably going on 2. As long as he don't spray he can stay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

We have a problem with Skunks at work and they hire a professional trapper to get rid of them. He just covers the trap with a blanket and puts it in his truck. Says they don't spray when covered. The times I've seen him do it they didn't. Not sure I really believe that 100% of the time, but it may have something to do with the spray being concentrated in a closed place. Some small dogs have died as a result of a direct hit in the face.

Yes, it is true, all you do is use a large black table cloth and go easy over him slowly until he is covered. Then ease him into your trap. Wa La, you have him. If you are having trouble with the odor, then THINK Strong Coffee, you will be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bushwacker1 said:

Yes, it is true, all you do is use a large black table cloth and go easy over him slowly until he is covered. Then ease him into your trap. Wa La, you have him. If you are having trouble with the odor, then THINK Strong Coffee, you will be ok.

While you got him all wrapped up in a blanket, throw a couple of stamps on him and send him up to Seth! Bitty will thank you for your help 😎

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, Sledgehammer said:

I know people who have had them as pets.  Bottom line is this....

1) they are wild animals and regardless of how they are raised, they will always be wild animals

2) they are known to carry diseases transmittable to humans and real pets

3) it’s illegal to possess them as pets (at least in most places)

So that's what happen to the catalog stores.🤣 Cause way back they sold pets to, and skunks with scentglandss remove were part of the offering. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

While you got him all wrapped up in a blanket, throw a couple of stamps on him and send him up to Seth! Bitty will thank you for your help 😎

That reminds me of something that I learned in college.

Apparently the discharge apparatus of the skunk requires all four feet to be on the ground so that they can push front legs against the back legs to generate sufficient pressure to project a good stream.

So if a young man were to HYPOTHETICALLY pick up a skunk by the hind legs, carry quickly across The Quad, and hurl said skunk underhand down the hallway, with a polished tiled floor, of the Women’s dormitory......

 

Notes:

 I was not responsible for said actions.

Nor did said skunk appear to suffer any ill consequences.

There was only ONE (1) skunk involved in this incident.  Not half of a dozen skunks as was reported to the authorities.

An unexpected result was that many residents of the Women’s dormitory needed alternate lodging for a few days until the hallways were cleaned.

 I did however leave a cloth toy skunk with a friend of mine that lived in that dormitory afterwards.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

That reminds me of something that I learned in college.

Apparently the discharge apparatus of the skunk requires all four feet to be on the ground so that they can push front legs against the back legs to generate sufficient pressure to project a good stream.

So if a young man were to HYPOTHETICALLY pick up a skunk by the hind legs, carry quickly across The Quad, and hurl said skunk underhand down the hallway, with a polished tiled floor, of the Women’s dormitory......

 

Notes:

 I was not responsible for said actions.

Nor did said skunk appear to suffer any ill consequences.

There was only ONE (1) skunk involved in this incident.  Not half of a dozen skunks as was reported to the authorities.

An unexpected result was that many residents of the Women’s dormitory needed alternate lodging for a few days until the hallways were cleaned.

 I did however leave a cloth toy skunk with a friend of mine that lived in that dormitory afterwards.

Essex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Essex?

L.M.S.

Skippy was some agitated about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

L.M.S.

Skippy was some agitated about that.

Was co-Ed in my day, I think lakeside might have been an estrogen dorm, I know Essex was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Was co-Ed in my day, I think lakeside might have been an estrogen dorm, I know Essex was

I may have mixed up L.M.S. & Lakeside.....

Hey, they both start with “L” and are over in the same direction!

Currier is the one that I would like to forget about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I may have mixed up L.M.S. & Lakeside.....

Hey, they both start with “L” and are over in the same direction!

Currier is the one that I would like to forget about.

Wouldn’t we all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a skunk that has taken up residence behind some duals in the corner of our machine shed.  Does not bother us and we leave it alone.  Has not shown any interest in the box trap we have set. What do you guys use for bait to lure them in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We have a skunk that has taken up residence behind some duals in the corner of our machine shed.  Does not bother us and we leave it alone.  Has not shown any interest in the box trap we have set. What do you guys use for bait to lure them in?

I believe that cat food or dog food is one thing that is commonly used. I have seen them before but lately it's been getting too often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We have a skunk that has taken up residence behind some duals in the corner of our machine shed.  Does not bother us and we leave it alone.  Has not shown any interest in the box trap we have set. What do you guys use for bait to lure them in?

A black cat with white paint always worked for Pepe 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...