MinnesotaFarmall

186 hydro accumulator?

As near as I can tell, it's an accumulator. One line in that I can see, and caseih calls it that. My question is, why is it there? For the hydro trans or is it for the overall work load like a capacitor for the entire system? Also, I can't tell where it is leaking.. line is dry, but it is wet all along the bottom where it sits on it's "shelf". I'll try to add a picture. 

Oily pipe headed under the tractor right behind the 3 point arm lift.

KIMG1076.JPG

Its a Attenuator. Not accumulator. It is used to take put the shock load and vibrations of the late style hydraulic pump. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Its a Attenuator. Not accumulator. It is used to take put the shock load and vibrations of the late style hydraulic pump. 

X2. They tend to leak around the seams. They can be welded but keep in mind that it is a hydraulic component subjected to thousands of psi and it isn't really in the best spot so it is probably best to replace it. I think you also need to order the hydraulic line that goes to it also, it's no longer welded on.

• Like 1

Those are for the later tractors  with the  pfc hitch pumps I had to replace mine they seem to crack easily 

7 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

What exactly do think an attenuator is that an accumulator isn't?  Different name for the same component.

24 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

What exactly do think an attenuator is that an accumulator isn't?  Different name for the same component.

Totally different.  Accumulator has a bladder and charge of gas, usually nitrogen.  Attenuator is heavy metal tank that fills with hydraulic fluid to help absorb spikes in pressure. More to it but this should suffice.

• Like 1

Just now, pete23 said:

Totally different.  Accumulator has a bladder and charge of gas, usually nitrogen.  Attenuator is heavy metal tank that fills with hydraulic fluid to help absorb spikes in pressure. More to it but this should suffice.

I know that.  But the function of each is the same.  They both reduce pressure spikes and surges.  Just one with a bladder and a nitrogen charge, one without.  Not enough of a difference in function to justify a correction. 

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

I know that.  But the function of each is the same.  They both reduce pressure spikes and surges.  Just one with a bladder and a nitrogen charge, one without.  Not enough of a difference in function to justify a correction. 

2 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Sure the heck are different.  Bladder cushions and softens operation of a different component like seat or hydraulic clutch pack.  It will not reduce sharp pressure spikes.

2 minutes ago, pete23 said:

Sure the heck are different.  Bladder cushions and softens operation of a different component like seat or hydraulic clutch pack.  It will not reduce sharp pressure spikes.

Blah, blah, blah.... both do the same thing.  He had the idea right.  For the purpose of the question it doesn't warrant a correction.... or an explanation.

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Blah, blah, blah.... both do the same thing.  He had the idea right.  For the purpose of the question it doesn't warrant a correction.... or an explanation.

Too much incorrect Information passed along on here.

Ahhh... Thanks guys. I understand the difference. Thanks for the correction also. 

8 minutes ago, pete23 said:

Too much incorrect Information passed along on here.

You are right, so go correct some of the really bad info on here.  Don't waste your time correcting me, I know the difference.  It's like arguing the difference in a condenser and a capacitor.  An accumulator and an attenuator both do the same thing, with internal differences.  One is just a "heavy duty" version of the other.

2 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

You are right, so go correct some of the really bad info on here.  Don't waste your time correcting me, I know the difference.  It's like arguing the difference in a condenser and a capacitor.  An accumulator and an attenuator both do the same thing, with internal differences.  One is just a "heavy duty" version of the other.

Just admit they are .totally different.

1 hour ago, pete23 said:

You beat me to it.

3 hours ago, pete23 said:

Correct they are different things used for different results. Our Class self propelled chopper has an attenuator right near the hydraulic pump and it also has numerous accumulators on it mainly near valves or cylinders. If they did the same thing I would think they would only use one or the other not both 

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

Correct they are different things used for different results. Our Class self propelled chopper has an attenuator right near the hydraulic pump and it also has numerous accumulators on it mainly near valves or cylinders. If they did the same thing I would think they would only use one or the other not both 

Exactly👍

J-Stud. Youre the one spreading wrong information all the time. Admit it.

Would you put an attenuator on youre hydraulic seat???

Would you put attenuator on youre feederhouse lift cylinders???

They might be similar. But yet totally different.

14 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

J-Stud. Youre the one spreading wrong information all the time. Admit it

You sure are right on with that statement........

14 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Oily pipe headed under the tractor right behind the 3 point arm lift.

KIMG1076.JPG

fuel tank will have to come off the replace it it's a pain in the you know what the tube screws onto the motor valve under the fuel tank

J-Mech, is it possible for you to respond to a person's question without being and ass and a know it all. I mean seriously you don't impress anybody and you hijack every thread with your useless arguments that steer away from the topic and in which you are typically in the wrong but are too proud and full off your endless wisdom to admit it. You aren't the only person on this forum and get this, SOMEBODY MAY BE MORE KNOWEDGEABLE THAN YOU.

• Like 2

So I got curious what the difference is between an attenuator and an accumulator.  It would appear that an attenuator is a “pass through” device like the muffler on an engine where as an accumulator is a storage device.  Seems safe to say that an accumulator can behave as an attenuator but not the other way around.

Google the two and you can get all the info you want. An attenuator may or may not be pass through. It is intended to soften the hydraulic pulses. An accumulator is intended to be a device that stores hydraulic pressure by using a diaphragm or a piston with pressurized nitrogen behind it. Used to provide a quick charge, such as transmission shifts. On combines and windrowers, accumulators are used mainly for header floatation. 

2 minutes ago, striker782 said:

An accumulator is intended to be a device that stores hydraulic pressure by using a diaphragm or a piston with pressurized nitrogen behind it. 

Or soften a load, like a shock absorber. 

Soften.... like an attenuator does to high pressure pulses.  Different designs, same function. Anyone not being hard headed would agree they are similar in function.  Not worth arguing about.