pt756

price of hay ?

feed guy was out today, local sale yard that has hay sale every week, owner told him that with all this winterkill that hay will hit 500 dollars a ton! feed guy said if you bought everything to feed that cow at these prices you will have 13 dollars a day in feed cost alone. if this happens doesn't leave much money left for anything else this year. oh joy!

I don't see any way hay can go that high. I would gladly get mine trucked over there for half of that. 

$10 a b  not likely

maybe the BTO as they had straw wholesale $9b  but people wanted to pay me $2,  sent them to the store for $9

which pays us $5.50 for no hassle ongoing deal

only have 50 b of 1st cut left

told everyone in march speak up as it will ONLY be made on order + $ will be increased. for silence

have 70 acres 3 weeks past prime now

60% could be absorbed into our haylage.but.plenty of sudan bonus expected there....if rain lets up.could do 1/2 dry and sell with snow balls in feb

2nd is a month delayed so expect that to be short and $$ also maybe push $6

I can see 300s/.  Its 265 delivered here now.  Maj of 1st inland got rained on.  Bad color for export poor test for dairy.  200 at stack for 140 rfv hay.  Hear pockets of good test...175 to 200 rfv are asking 250 at stack but only rumors i hope.  This forage issues us bad.  I have been following blogs and vlogs about it.  Flat scary...

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I can see 300s/.  Its 265 delivered here now.  Maj of 1st inland got rained on.  Bad color for export poor test for dairy.  200 at stack for 140 rfv hay.  Hear pockets of good test...175 to 200 rfv are asking 250 at stack but only rumors i hope.  This forage issues us bad.  I have been following blogs and vlogs about it.  Flat scary...

I would be happy with $1/pt. I would really like to get a big square baler bought so it's easier to get wheels under my hay. Overwidth really kills the distance trucking.

• Confused 1

Close to $500 here for small squares right now...........I have been hauling smalls out of the guy I buy from, I take all the ones they toss that were on the bottom of the stack, or at the end and bleeched from the exposure to the sun on the south end of the pole shed, and the pile I am working on now, he sold all the good ones for $485 a ton at the hay sale recently.  I have been taking all last years big squares, and small squares that don't make the grade for the hay sale because with the weather pattern we are in, things might get ugly again.

Recent hay auction by Larue Ohio was a small lot of small square grass. Was a small group of people who went bananas bidding on them. $65.00 per bale and that's not a mistype. I heard that same story from 2 different guys 40 miles away from each other that are not acquainted with each other.

12 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Close to $500 here for small squares right now...........I have been hauling smalls out of the guy I buy from, I take all the ones they toss that were on the bottom of the stack, or at the end and bleeched from the exposure to the sun on the south end of the pole shed, and the pile I am working on now, he sold all the good ones for $485 a ton at the hay sale recently.  I have been taking all last years big squares, and small squares that don't make the grade for the hay sale because with the weather pattern we are in, things might get ugly again.

Yup,  Same thing here in Mid-Michigan, Good quality Alfalfa will bring a "Premium Price",   Several Big Dairies near us had hay on the ground for 10 days before they could put a chopper in the field,  Those soggy windrows might have been chopped back onto the ground in a normal year,  but that stuff is in the "Bunker now!!"

That down hay picks up "Grit" from the rain drops hitting the soil,  Those custom choppers were sharpening chopper knives, every 3 hours,  Dull knives take horsepower to chop, and long stem alfalfa in the bunker doesn't pack as well,  pockets of air can be trapped and mold can start over night,  Equal's pour quality cow feed.

Jim Droscha 

• Like 1

there will just be less cows on some farms it wont work at those prices , neighbors wife works at the sale barn said a whole bubch more herds got booked in for sale, have to wait and see if it is true.

Heard hay auctions here at end of winter crap small squares went for 6 a bale and better stuff up to 12 a bale. Large rounds were i believe 150 to 180 in some places i was told as well. 

I remember the days when you could find plenty of it for sale here and there that friends and neighbors had extra . What ever the going rate was and we went to pick it up ourselves . 

Those days are over, at least for now. 

Nobody wants to let anything go and what is for sale here is gold. 

I would rather have a barn full of alfalfa then a bin full of soybeans these days .

• Like 1

Tenant Sold some first cutting that had been down two weeks with rain on it every other day for 190 a ton in big rounds.  It was not even fit for bedding  There is nothing for sale around here. Its name your price and they will pay it. Between the winter weather. Spring flooding and constant rain there is no hay to be had and what is out there is crap

12 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Recent hay auction by Larue Ohio was a small lot of small square grass. Was a small group of people who went bananas bidding on them. $65.00 per bale and that's not a mistype. I heard that same story from 2 different guys 40 miles away from each other that are not acquainted with each other.

All I have to say is WAT-DA 

Astounding 

So taking these numbers further out

regarding beef, since they won’t have feed more cows will be sent to slaughter, the price will remain constant for a short period of time at the store while the farmers get less.  I would guess anyway. Then the price will use at the store as there is less beef?  Or they will just panic and raise the price at the store to fleece the customer while paying the farmer less 

regarding dairy, prices might start to rise?  And maybe the remaining dairy farms will see some money?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Well thanks for posting that cuz I called my friend a liar when he told me that in a grocery store in Lorain county.

I heard it from guys from Darke and Logan counties. That's a wild example of panic and convenience.