Sign in to follow this  
SaskM

Tachometer

I've got a 1969 Ford 250 Camper Special.  Today I take it for a spin and the tach is showing much higher than normal.  At first I thought it maybe hadn't shifted into third, but it had.  Normally at 60mph the tach is showing 2400, but today it was showing 3600 and the motor was certainly not spinning that fast.  It is an old Ohden brand tach mounted on the column.  Can a tach fail?  or do I have some sort of electrical gremlin to try and find.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check if it has a Cylinder selection switch (on the back usually) and make sure it’s on the correct setting.

• Like 1

In the Mid 70's I had a Ohden  Tach in a 65' Dodge coronet 500,  I think the body of the tach cover is held on with a single screw in the middle of the back of the cover, slide that cover off,  the wire's to the tach are through a small whole in the cover,  The plastic that covers the copper wire gets brittle,  And those same wires run to the terminal of the coil and ground screws, Rodents can chew on wires going through the fire wall,  Heat from the engine can damage small frail wires,    696IH might be correct,   that little switch may have moisture or corrosion,  that switch may have a indicator decal,  4-6-8 cylinders, slide that switch to make good contact again,  also the wire hooked to the coil may have a small resistor "in line" to act as a electric shock absorber,  that may have failed,   but usually the "Tach" stops functioning. Does the internal "Night Light" still work?

The Ohden Electronics company Tachometers were in the Heavy Equipment & Marine industry,  They did offer several Automotive style Tach's with a smaller Face to fit in with the automotive styling. 

Jim Droscha

Thanks Jim for the good info.  I didn't have a chance to check it yesterday, but now I have a good place to start.

Marty