Ian Beale

Long Range Ford Problem Diagnosis

We have an Australian Ford Territory which is giving intermittent warning lights on ABS, stability control and also losing cruise control.  I'm punting that it will have generic Ford technology and won't be a special homebrew for OZ. 

Intermittently it will light up the ABS warning and stability control lights.  Once it brought a faint glow to the brake warning, and has now progressed to cruise control being non-functional including activation light.  Brakes function fine, brake fluid level is ok.

All intermittent and the nearest code reader is 150 km away.

Any ideas?

My best guess is a wheel sensor is/ has going/ gone bad.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

We have an Australian Ford Territory which is giving intermittent warning lights on ABS, stability control and also losing cruise control.  I'm punting that it will have generic Ford technology and won't be a special homebrew for OZ. 

Intermittently it will light up the ABS warning and stability control lights.  Once it brought a faint glow to the brake warning, and has now progressed to cruise control being non-functional including activation light.  Brakes function fine, brake fluid level is ok.

All intermittent and the nearest code reader is 150 km away.

Any ideas?

Tow it 150 KM????🤣😈 Sorry couldn't resist.

Rick

4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Tow it 150 KM????🤣😈 Sorry couldn't resist.

Rick

NFL - having nothing to do with football

• Haha 1

Your wheel sensor could be dirty too or it could be the wheel bearing causing issues throwing the sensors off. 

Maybe a bad ground on the circuits 

45 minutes ago, krich said:

Your wheel sensor could be dirty too or it could be the wheel bearing causing issues throwing the sensors off. 

^^^This.  Had wheel bearings go out twice on our Nissan Armada and both times all the ABS/Traction control stuff went haywire because the failing bearing seals allows grease to get in the wheel speed sensor tone ring.

Your chance to help educate me on modern cars.

When this thing throws a warning light wobbly does it retain any codes that might be activated?

If it does that should mean we can drive to the scanner when it combines with  other reasons. 

Rick's tow idea still won't fly though.

Pressure switch on master cylinder? That controls the cruise and some other electronic brake related signals on Fords in the USA.  They have been problematic since the mid 90s, with Ford issuing multiple recalls and repair campaigns, to prevent problems including spontaneous vehicle fires.

Karl f

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Your chance to help educate me on modern cars.

When this thing throws a warning light wobbly does it retain any codes that might be activated?

If it does that should mean we can drive to the scanner when it combines with  other reasons. 

Rick's tow idea still won't fly though.

my mazda BT50 had 1 rear wheel sensor go,            cruise control and some other bits also stopped

its got more ford motor co stamped on it, than bits stamped mazda

Ya may just have too many gadgets.