Nothing real special but priceless to cross the Niobrara to get to my south pastures. No real road on either side just pasture trails. Quit a few in the area, not sure when they were put in. First time I crossed it with the 5ton 6x6 carrying 1600 gallons of water to get to a grass fire, it was pucker factor x10. But the old girl held up without so much as a grown. Built with good old American steel😀

IMG_20190612_132814762_HDR.thumb.jpg.941a3b46216482f2f47abcb95a0983f0.jpg

IMG_20190612_132831966_HDR.thumb.jpg.f2581ae0c673c853bd8b89ac8f342e77.jpg

Getting materials and equipment across the soft Sandhills and down to the river and getting it built is (to me) a pretty impressive undertaking

• Like 9
24 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

could they have floated the materials there?

Pretty narrow and fast flowing with sandbars and bends. Possible I guess but I think unlikely. Depends on when they were built as to what they could have used to haul with. Good question for some of the older neighbors. 

• Like 1

There are a few that style around here but not many.  This one is rated at 3 tons.  I had a board break once crossing it under my 3/4 ton truck.  I hit the gas and got off of there fast.  It’s about 200’ long and 30’ over the Little Wabash River.  

We actually had some wedding pics taken on this bridge.  It was a pretty spring day with more sunshine than this picture.  Don’t have them on my phone though...

TaitsBridge007Small.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

There are a few that style around here but not many.  This one is rated at 3 tons.  I had a board break once crossing it under my 3/4 ton truck.  I hit the gas and got off of there fast.  It’s about 200’ long and 30’ over the Little Wabash River.  

We actually had some wedding pics taken on this bridge.  It was a pretty spring day with more sunshine than this picture.  Don’t have them on my phone though...

TaitsBridge007Small.jpg

Very nice job on the 5! I’ve got my dads 71 AMC CJ5 pre-redesign here that got trashed in hurricane Irene and i bought a 69 last year, both have Dauntless V6. 

Also dads 47’ 2A

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

We actually had some wedding pics taken on this bridge

Many a "Class of" picture has been taken on these old bridges. The just attract people for a photo op. Very cool and classy. Perfect for wedding photos. Whenever I cross it, I always stop just to watch the water run for a bit, it's relaxing. 

Anyone else have some pics of bridges around them, throw 'em up on here, love to see them. I know there are some really cool ones out there. 

I am sure a lot of you watched Chevy Chase and Funny Farm. Those 2 mover guys were in quite a predicament to say the least 

• Like 1

Several of those bridges going to Branson, MO that i like to see. It brings back good memories of my dad, brother and me, when we were out hunting for Groundhogs, we had to cross several of those bridges, here in TN.  But they have been replaced and it's not the same joy anymore. Even the old Rail Road bridges are not kept up with paint. They are replacing with new and different bridges. 

• Like 1

In the picture we built the current bridge that you can barely see to the right.  After traffic was routed to the new structure we then restored the old camelback.

https://www.mottville.org/mottville-bridge/

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=concrete/us12/

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Very nice job on the 5! I’ve got my dads 71 AMC CJ5 pre-redesign here that got trashed in hurricane Irene and i bought a 69 last year, both have Dauntless V6. 

Also dads 47’ 2A

Thanks. I don’t own that one any more. It was a 63’ with a 225 added that was warmed over feeding into a Ford T18 4spd and the Dana 18 t-case. I painted it CAT yellow with black grille and half cab. 5.38 gears and lockers front/rear. It was slow but fun. 12-30-06002.jpg

12-30-06001.jpg

• Like 4

........The old  suspension   bridge , near where  I lived for most of my adult life........The bridge......and the Motueka River  that flows   beneath it.....

Mike

post-157-1166772508   pen b.jpg

post-157-1166772583  mot R.jpg

• Like 3

Few old bridges around here similar to that only they're much longer crossing the Saskatchewan river. Some still in use while others have been condemned.

This is one of my favorite ones that I try to cross at least once a year. Train crosses above and one lane vehicle traffic below. Me and my friend didn't get to far walking out on the railway tracks the day we snowmobile over to it lol.  6-8 inch gap between ties and a long ways down didn't make for comfortable walking conditions lol.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Ihcubguy said:

Got this covered bridge on one of the roads in the township I work for

keeferstation.jpg

Wondered when the first covered bridge would show up!!! Those things are so cool. To protect the wood structure and provide a place for travelers caught in a storm? Or, that is what I have been told anyway. 

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Wondered when the first covered bridge would show up!!! Those things are so cool. To protect the wood structure and provide a place for travelers caught in a storm? Or, that is what I have been told anyway. 

More to keep the horses from shying at the crossing.

• Like 1

....something for Sandhiller  !!!!.......the old swing bridge to our little farm  was knackered......so we rebuilt it as one of the first jobs ........second  picture ...that's RP member   Chris Tomac , from Michigan.......about to do battle  with some of the jobs we had at that time...other fellow on the right is a good mate  , who loves helping with any scungy  job;)       

........and a picture of a Michigan covered bridge......something special aren't  they ?........(Whilst staying at  Chris's place   in the rather pretty State of Michigan )

Mike

post-157-1248342422   sw bridge.jpg

DSC02166.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, mike_newman said:

the old swing bridge to our little farm  was knackered

Mike, I didn't think you guys used bridges over there, every pic I've seen you post is of you bailing off into deep swiftly flowing rivers with tractors, pickups and fording them accordingly😋😂🤣

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Mike, I didn't think you guys used bridges over there, every pic I've seen you post is of you bailing off into deep swiftly flowing rivers with tractors, pickups and fording them accordingly😋😂🤣

...like this.....you mean ??:(.......sigh...our old 886 in some strife

The swing bridge  we rebuilt  is now wide enough  for a Quad bike /calf   feeder trailer  /little wood trailer etc etc...yeah.... we use bridges  :)

Mike

Tractor Rescue 002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I believe that there is a covered bridge tour possibly the day before RPRU starts next week......