Sign in to follow this  
Reichow7120

850 New Holland Round baler parts

I know that this was covered back in the winter but i can't find the post at the moment.

Im looking for tine bars for the pickup on this round baler cheap. It's mine if i want to fix it up. New ones are over 130 bucks a pop. 

Im wanting to know if there is any bone yards specializing in New Holland balers that might have a pickup laying around that's in tact. 

Im also wondering if anyone has ever built one of these tine bars in the picture. If someone has can you tell me what you used? If i can i probably can build them on the cheap for what acres this baler might see. After this past weekends hay making debacle Im seriously thinking about dragging this baler out of the barn and get it going as a backup in case the 311 has issues or if i want to get some more hay done quickly then we can do by baling small squares. We will always do small squares but the round baler could supplement it for some of our cow hay, especially in 1st cutting.

Thanks in advance 

We have made a few new tine  bars over the years. Either used angle iron with a different brand teeth to fit or heavier round pipe. Mark and drill teeth holes best you can and cut off bearing holder and  dog ends from old ones. Takes some time to do but works good

This is what it looks like.

s-l400-1.jpg

s-l400.jpg

10 hours ago, dale560 said:

We have made a few new tine  bars over the years. Either used angle iron with a different brand teeth to fit or heavier round pipe. Mark and drill teeth holes best you can and cut off bearing holder and  dog ends from old ones. Takes some time to do but works good

What did you use for pipe?

25 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

What did you use for pipe?

Some heavier wall tubing we had from metal shop.around same outside diameter. It took about a day and half to remake all the tubes on one if I remember 

I just had a bunch of tine bars made for my BR NH balers last fall.  Made the tubes of the best quality Sch 80 3/4” pipe I could find.  Had a local job shop do all the drilling with a CNC mill.

11 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

New ones are over 130 bucks a pop. 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

It took about a day and half to remake all the tubes on one if I remember 

I don't mean to hijack the original post here but this talk about "make your own" sometimes gets to me. I'm not sure how many bars there are on a NH baler but lets assume there are 5. (5*$130=$650) and you're done. All the holes are in the exact right spot and the ends are welded on at the proper angle. Pick them up from the dealer and install them. The time spent fabricating your own bars which may or may not be correct or have the same structural integrity as factory could be used to do something that would add profitability to your farm. This isn't even accounting for the cost of materials. I'd be curious to know how many hours and how much money in materials (including cutting, welding, and drilling supplies) are invested into each bar when it's all said and done.

17 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

I don't mean to hijack the original post here but this talk about "make your own" sometimes gets to me. I'm not sure how many bars there are on a NH baler but lets assume there are 5. (5*$130=$650) and you're done. All the holes are in the exact right spot and the ends are welded on at the proper angle. Pick them up from the dealer and install them. The time spent fabricating your own bars which may or may not be correct or have the same structural integrity as factory could be used to do something that would add profitability to your farm. This isn't even accounting for the cost of materials. I'd be curious to know how many hours and how much money in materials (including cutting, welding, and drilling supplies) are invested into each bar when it's all said and done.

We were making them for an off brand Vicon baler and a McKee baler we had years ago. We made them angle iron for vicon so we could use heavier other brand teeth. As far as holes it was easy measure mark and drill. Welding stubs on was easy also

29 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

Evidentally you have never operated on a tight budget. That's great I'm happy for you but not everyone's situation is like yours. I have made A LOT of parts as opposed to buying them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Evidentally you have never operated on a tight budget. That's great I'm happy for you but not everyone's situation is like yours. I have made A LOT of parts as opposed to buying them.

I'm not sure making broad based assumptions about someone you've never met is the best way to go about things.

The point I was trying to make is that sometimes people are so stuck in the "make my own" routine that they fail to realize it would have been more cost effective and better for your budget to buy the items from the dealer when you factor in cost of materials and time spent. 

I have also made a lot of parts when the cost of new was too high to justify paying, but I always try and figure out how much it's going to cost me in time and materials before I start fabricating away.

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

I'm not sure making broad based assumptions about someone you've never met is the best way to go about things.

The point I was trying to make is that sometimes people are so stuck in the "make my own" routine that they fail to realize it would have been more cost effective and better for your budget to buy the items from the dealer when you factor in cost of materials and time spent. 

I have also made a lot of parts when the cost of new was too high to justify paying, but I always try and figure out how much it's going to cost me in time and materials before I start fabricating away.

You're right I shouldn't have made the assumption and I'm sorry about that. You probably aren't the type but I know many people that have the "just buy a new one" mentality because they inherited their place and a pile of money along with it. I'm glad some people are able to do that and I wish I was in the same boat but I'm not. It just bothers me when they assume everyone should do the same thing they do.

2 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

There's 4 on this baler. 

I see what you're saying but how much money do you dump into a 40 some year old baler that at most would be worth $1500 on a lot. The baler is free or otherwise it would sit in that barn until it went for scrap. A nice fancy round baler is out of the question right now. Dad has other fish to fry and the money isn't there for me at the moment to buy something like that. 

As i said this would be a backup/supplement baler. Do you spend big money on something that may be used a handful of times a year at most or do you try what im doing. Most the good stuff will get done with the small square baler. As i said the 311 took a crap on us on a Saturday afternoon with rain this entire week pretty much. It would have been nice to just grab the backup baler and roll it quick and be done in that situation. Plus the way this year is going good hay weather is at a premium. We can only lay down so much at once when things are going right because you can only bale so many square bales from when the hay is dry until the dew comes back on. That's with a bale thrower and 4 wagons and 3 guys. 1 bailing, 2 unloading wagons and moving them. We've only had 2 strings of days long enough to get hay dry enough to bale and one of those strings we were still planting beans. My thoughts were if we ever get enough days together, between the 2 balers we could get 1st cutting done quicker. If we don't 1st cutting going to take forever or we are going to end up chopping it and we aren't low on silage. 

Heck, i don't have to make them. It's just a option. If someone has these bars in good shape laying around or knows someone/someplace that has them laying around and is willing to part with them. I would be willing to talk price with them.

37 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

There's 4 on this baler. 

I see what you're saying but how much money do you dump into a 40 some year old baler that at most would be worth $1500 on a lot.

Without knowing your situation my gut instinct would be to say "as little as possible". 

All I was trying to say is figure out if you are going to end up spending more money fabricating something rather than buying a new one when you factor in all the material costs and time spent. If you are going to be able to find a way to do something cheaper than buying from the dealer and have the time to do it, then by all means go for it.

I apologize again for taking your topic off on a serious digression from you original question.

The first place I check for used parts on equipment is here https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/ 

They have a location about 30 minutes away so it's an easy location for me. They have many locations and possibly have something for you.

6 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

It’s not difficult at all to make a better bar than NH did. That’s one of the reasons I made my own. The other is that on my balers there are over a $1000 worth of bars in each baler. I had 3 balers that needed all new bars. I want to say I had about $1000 invested in materials and machining, I cut the bars to length and welded the tab on myself. In the end I have a way stronger bar for less cost. 

• Like 1

You could easily build a fixture to drill the holes accurately on a simple drill press as long as your first hole was laid out accurately.  If I was you I would just grab a piece of pipe and get to it, DOM tubing would be awesome, but not sure about size.  Once the holes are drilled, another simple fixture using the holes to locate the end piece, weld, paint and be done.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I know that this was covered back in the winter but i can't find the post at the moment.

Im looking for tine bars for the pickup on this round baler cheap. It's mine if i want to fix it up. New ones are over 130 bucks a pop. 

Im wanting to know if there is any bone yards specializing in New Holland balers that might have a pickup laying around that's in tact. 

Im also wondering if anyone has ever built one of these tine bars in the picture. If someone has can you tell me what you used? If i can i probably can build them on the cheap for what acres this baler might see. After this past weekends hay making debacle Im seriously thinking about dragging this baler out of the barn and get it going as a backup in case the 311 has issues or if i want to get some more hay done quickly then we can do by baling small squares. We will always do small squares but the round baler could supplement it for some of our cow hay, especially in 1st cutting.

Thanks in advance 

Why do you need new bars? We ran 3 NH 851, 852s and broke a few bars, but to get by just welded it back together. Usually broke by the strap that the follower mounted to. Wasn't perfect by any means, but worked until had more time to fix it right. Even had a br7090 that broke 2 bars in one day, I stripped out an old bar chunk out of the 852 bone pile and cut and welded in a 8" piece at follower end, still working 2 years later when I sold it

8 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

Why do you need new bars? We ran 3 NH 851, 852s and broke a few bars, but to get by just welded it back together. Usually broke by the strap that the follower mounted to. Wasn't perfect by any means, but worked until had more time to fix it right. Even had a br7090 that broke 2 bars in one day, I stripped out an old bar chunk out of the 852 bone pile and cut and welded in a 8" piece at follower end, still working 2 years later when I sold it

Because it's been already done and it doesn't hold anymore. Plus these broke in the middle. 

If they break around a bolt hole, u could just leave one tooth out and weld shut. What does the rest of the baler look like? One time I hit a small stump under a window in a road ditch and bent some bands and one bar bad. I straightened hands and cut off bent bar near middle bearing support and just left it out, but this was on a 688 with six bars. We put all new bars and bearings in the next winter. New bars had so much paint on I had to wire wheel them down to bare metal to get bearings to slide on. They were a good baler in their day and should work good for a backup. Dad bought the 688 in 04, and I could bale with that what 2 851s could in same time

now BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED QUESTION....

the tine bar # for an 850 baler is 136554. same number for the bar on a 900W chopper pickup head. so there are 2 possibilities.

try Fry's Equipment in Pa. 570-546-3968. they part out a boatload of NH equipment.

11 hours ago, ny bill o said:

now BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED QUESTION....

the tine bar # for an 850 baler is 136554. same number for the bar on a 900W chopper pickup head. so there are 2 possibilities.

try Fry's Equipment in Pa. 570-546-3968. they part out a boatload of NH equipment.

Anything from Junior would most likely not be anything better than he has, and they have gotten to greedy for the junk they have.  

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2019 at 6:13 PM, Reichow7120 said:

Because it's been already done and it doesn't hold anymore. Plus these broke in the middle. 

I've fixed the bars on our Hesston round balers that broke in the middle. I never did price out new ones, but I'm sure they arent cheap either. All I did to fix them was find a piece of shaft the right size to fit inside the pickup bar. I made it long enough so the tooth bolt would hold on each side of the break. Once I had the holes lined up it was a simple fix. A bit of welding and grinding, and drilling a couple holes and it's back to new. Probably made 6000 bales since I fixed the first one, so I'd say it works lol. 

Maybe they're rotten and not worth fixing, but I'd try that first. If not like other have said, it's not very hard to make a new bar, especially if you have a drill press, and a bit of time. There used to be a pile of those balers around here, and I'm sure there is lots sitting in the bush wrecked too, but I think it's a little too far away to help you there. We got a 851 we quit using 15 years ago and parked it along the bush. Ended up dragging it out last fall when the snow hit and just greased up a few spots and oiled the chains up and away it went lol. So it is hard to kill them, and I'm sure it will work good for you. They just dont get used much here anymore. Cant hardly give them away. Heck you can pick up good 5x6 belt balers for under 1000 bucks

Update, 

In some of my internet searches and looking at things i stumbled across a place that had 3 of those bars off of a salvage baler for sale. Called up to see if they were still available and they were. Asked for price of shipping and when that was reasonable i said "Send them " Got the pieces Monday and spent Yesterday and part of today working on it after i pulled it out of my Uncle's barn. Had to do a few other minor things to it. But it ran fine empty. Now we just have to get some hay dry enough to use it. 

The other nice thing was once we got to ripping into the pickup it turned out that only 3 of the pipes had been broken, the 4th was fine so i had the right amount of pipes for this job.

We still plan on doing a large amount square bailing so that is why this project was undertaken. Good enough for a backup or if we are in a "Oh $--- " situation with rain coming we could fire it up to pick hay up quick. 

Here's a picture of it. Definitely ugly but it should do what we want it to.

20190626_160744.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Update, 

In some of my internet searches and looking at things i stumbled across a place that had 3 of those bars off of a salvage baler for sale. Called up to see if they were still available and they were. Asked for price of shipping and when that was reasonable i said "Send them " Got the pieces Monday and spent Yesterday and part of today working on it after i pulled it out of my Uncle's barn. Had to do a few other minor things to it. But it ran fine empty. Now we just have to get some hay dry enough to use it. 

The other nice thing was once we got to ripping into the pickup it turned out that only 3 of the pipes had been broken, the 4th was fine so i had the right amount of pipes for this job.

We still plan on doing a large amount square bailing so that is why this project was undertaken. Good enough for a backup or if we are in a "Oh $--- " situation with rain coming we could fire it up to pick hay up quick. 

Here's a picture of it. Definitely ugly but it should do what we want it to.

20190626_160744.jpg

Those nh are tough balers

One more update on this project.

It worked like a charm. Turns out tackling this project paid dividends. I cut Tuesday and Wednesday last week shooting for some getting ready for both Thursday and Friday. Well those plans got thrown into disarray Thursday morning with the surprise thunderstorm that dumped a half inch of rain on us. That obviously screwed up hay for that day.

Friday came around and the way each cut chunk was they both made it at the same time that afternoon. No way we were getting that all square baled. Dad and I were trying to square bale but were having some adjustment issues on our rebuilt knotter on the 311 square baler. ( first time rebuilding one ourselves). My brother took off to try to round bale the other field. Dad and I got the knotter adjusted right finally and baled 400 square bales that afternoon. Dad remarked to me at one point "haven't heard from your brother. Don't know if that's a good thing or not ". We were just about done with our chunk when he called wondering if he needed to bring the round baler over to the other field to bale that. The 850 never skipped a beat. Not bad for a 45 year old baler that i got for free and put roughly 300 dollars in parts total into it. Looks like we have a backup baler now

Took a few pictures of the bales my brother did. I didn't think he did to bad considering he had never ran a round baler before and no one took the time to show him that day. Yeah they aren't as tight as the new balers but again i didn't think they were to bad for a New Holland chain round baler.

20190705_080233.jpg

20190705_080240.jpg

20190705_080303.jpg

20190629_113447.jpg

• Like 2

pretty nice shaped bales for the first time out. I have an 848 round baler. I have to force myself to wait and get enough turns of twine on a bale. also, if your baler has air bags like mine, make sure they are aired up correctly. i run mine at 38 psi, makes a tighter bale that way.