13 hours ago, B.B. said:

I'd come mow a few rounds with that! Nice tractor!    28 years old and still a solid reliable machine!  

Come on up!   It would be a nice road trip for you too! 

13 hours ago, bitty said:

No maxxum will match the reliability of the boxcar Magnums

I agree with you 100% there! 

But the maxxums are the next best thing to a magnum!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

Is a 3688 with factory Elwood front axle in my neighborhood for sale. I believe the axle could be bought off of it . And they do turn pretty tight. By the time Elwood got to be an option  on new tractors like the 3688 they had things pretty well sorted out. most have  28" wheels and  the center housing of the axle was narrowed up enough to go down 30" rows.

ed

PS,  Box car Magnum is still one of the  best  tractors ever built, and has about the lowest cost per hours of use that money can buy.  But Most guys in my neighborhood that have a magnum and a 2+2  in the same shed;  would tell you that when traction is a problem and the magnum quits going they Park the Magnum and go get the 2+2 out. because they will keep going.

Ed you think the Elwood do turn sharp enough?  Dale, you say your new tractor doesn’t or just doesn’t compares to the Magnum?

Seen a 5088 for salvage listed in a farm paper recently - that’s what got me thinking about switching front ends.

I like the 2+2’s for sure, but can’t justify spending money on one to sit around and only put 20-30 hours on each season for the wet times.  

The  units with Elwood’s on, what’s different in terms of the pivot casting or where the drive line goes into the transmission?  Or was everything completely different set up?

6 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

The  units with Elwood’s on, what’s different in terms of the pivot casting or where the drive line goes into the transmission?  Or was everything completely different set up?

3X88 Elwood mounts right in the stock saddle in place of the 2WD front. Transfer case bolts right to the side of the tractor. No modification necessary, nothing different.

This is one mounted on a 1466:

image.png.a6c0413eb22d20c23214768313980499.png

First off its difficult to find Elwoods to begin with much less one that someone is willing to part with that is still working.

The other thing im not sure on is you can swap a 50 series FWA axle on the front of a 30 series tractor. The Transmissions are different animals. Your 3688 is like a 986 Transmission and when you ran a front wheel assist axle on them you had to run a transfer case off of the counter shaft to drive it. Now i know on the 5288 and 5488 the FWA axle was driven right off the mainshaft eliminating that transfer case off of the counter shaft. Now ive never seen a 5088 with FWA but would they drive the same way as the bigger 2. I don't know.

All i can say is that your 3688 is a different animal transmission wise than a 5088 so that axle drive may or may not work on your tractor. Again i don't know for certain.

Can i ask a million dollar question here? Is your 3688 running duals on it or is it singled up? That might make a difference in upon itself.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

The other thing im not sure on is you can swap a 50 series FWA axle on the front of a 30 series

Can i ask a million dollar question here? Is your 3688 running duals on it or is it singled up? That might make a difference in upon itself.

30 series and 50 Series will definitely not be interchangeable parts the engine is about the only thing that's interchangeable unless parts of the cab are and I'm not sure on the cab. 

duels will make a huge difference along with having the right size tire the taller the tire the longer the footprint the more the traction so what are you got 1838 or 1842 s makes a huge difference and then when you go wider with taller it adds some help also in the traction Department. Radials with lower air pressure help also

28 minutes ago, bitty said:

30 series and 50 Series will definitely not be interchangeable parts the engine is about the only thing that's interchangeable unless parts of the cab are and I'm not sure on the cab. 

I was kinda thinking that too. 

50 series would have a Synchro Tri Six Transmission. The 3688 would have pretty much a 86 series transmission with a electric TA and Transmission brake. Gear sets are different, gears are different. You wouldn't be able to mesh your drive without the proper gear sets and ratios. You would have a glorified 2wd.

Well it seems the 5x88 4wd assembly would be out of the question then! 

Duals yes, tire size - 18.4x38 Firestone 23’. New a couple years ago - tread is still basically brand new!

The biggest issue I’m running into is not being able to work untiled land or do some plowing or hauling wagons in fall when conditions are not the greatest - times when I have no choice to do the job.  So end up having to get father to do it with his 4wd Maxxum. Ran into it twice this year - about 30 acres needed to be opened up with cultivator to get air to it so could start to dry (to get rid of that crust on top from winter).  He did that and next day I could work it with discs and 3688 no problem. But as you all know this spring sucked and you didn’t have much chances to let the ground dry out another day or so to work.  Every time we turned around, we were rushing to get it done before rain came again, much worse than other years. Just crap luck we were able to finish up the last 75 acres this past weekend because we had four days of nice weather, first time this year that happened in a row!  Will next year be better - we can all hope it will that’s for sure. Gut feeling, this fall is going to suck, just like it did a few years ago - so it’s gonna be snotty moving wagons out of corn fields I bet! 

Was really hoping to figure out a way to make life easier, and if can keep 3688 that would be even better. But again may be a pipe dream!  Maybe I can hire a team of horses to hook to front end to give me more traction and oomph!

Do you have radial 18/38 or bias-ply? 

If their radial find a set of scales and weigh the tractor with the duals on and there is a chart to be able to figure out how little air pressure you can run . It makes a huge difference on what you can do with those tires

Radials. Tire guy I bought them off and had mount them aired them up to spec for that tie size doing road running and field work both   Keeping mind I didn’t want the tread to wear off them in the firs month. Traction has never been an issue, for the most part until I get in wet situations and don’t have that extra to pull me through

38 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Radials. Tire guy I bought them off and had mount them aired them up to spec for that tie size doing road running and field work both   Keeping mind I didn’t want the tread to wear off them in the firs month. Traction has never been an issue, for the most part until I get in wet situations and don’t have that extra to pull me through

On our Magnum owners manual it has the load rating for each tire size available for the tractor these will be good for tractor speeds . As an example our 18.4r46 when used as duals on our tractors with what they weight we can run 6 lb of air in them for plowing. We need 14 for hauling manaur so for that application we run 16 .  If we run 24 (like the one local tire shop tries to tell me I should) you don't even get half the traction from them and the ride quality is worse. We have not worn tires out any faster by running lower air pressures in maximum (keep in mind we are running above the minimum required air pressure) to the contrary on our skid loaders we have found it going from 55 lb down to 45 lb we have increased the tire life.

Another option you may consider---look at a 9110-9230 4x4.  They can often be purchased more cheaply that a comparable hp MFD, and are far more comfortable for primary tillage.  Also, they turn shorter than a MFD, so don't assume that they are "only for the big guys".   I had a pretty new MFD (suspension, the whole shebang) and didn't like it.  Turning radius sucked...it wouldn't even turn into my 28' FC passes without making a big arc.  Sold it and bought a really nice 9230 for <$30K, 4000 hours, 12 speed PS.  No PTO, which would add $10K to price.   For the few acres I run it will probably last me thru retirement.   And you just don't get stuck.

7 hours ago, bitty said:

On our Magnum owners manual it has the load rating for each tire size available for the tractor these will be good for tractor speeds . As an example our 18.4r46 when used as duals on our tractors with what they weight we can run 6 lb of air in them for plowing. We need 14 for hauling manaur so for that application we run 16 .  If we run 24 (like the one local tire shop tries to tell me I should) you don't even get half the traction from them and the ride quality is worse. We have not worn tires out any faster by running lower air pressures in maximum (keep in mind we are running above the minimum required air pressure) to the contrary on our skid loaders we have found it going from 55 lb down to 45 lb we have increased the tire life.

A good easy starting point I always used for setting tire inflation was to have three lugs making good contact with the ground, then I adjusted from there. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

6 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Another option you may consider---look at a 9110-9230 4x4. 

Yeah, that's probably not going to happen. If he's thinking a small Magnum is too big. A baby wheeler is way outside his comfort zone. Not that you're wrong but im willing to bet it won't happen in a million years.

3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

A good easy starting point I always used for setting tire inflation was to have three lugs making good contact with the ground, then I adjusted from there. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

Not going to be correct on many different sizes and different tires will have a different footprint. Both Firestone radial all traction in an 18.4r42 and 18.4r46 dualed up on our Magnums the 42 had 3 treads on the ground but the 46 had 4 on the ground. The tractor with the 46" handled the loads pulled much better but the biggest difference was tire life. 2100 hours on the 42" and 4500 on the 46" is a huge difference in my opinion

18 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I like the 2+2’s for sure, but can’t justify spending money on one to sit around and only put 20-30 hours on each season for the wet times. 

If you get a 2+2 you could use it for more then just the wet times, they work when it's dry too. Lol 

Years ago my dad wanted to get a 2+2 to spread with in the winter, thought that was alot of tractor just to use for spreading in the winter and to have it sit the rest of the year. To my surprise the Only time it sits is between when we get done with fall tillage and when the snow flies, and some years it never sits

22 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Dale, you say your new tractor doesn’t or just doesn’t compares to the Magnum?

I haven’t had much time to play with my 3088 four-wheel-drive yet,  but what I’ve done with it so far I was not impressed on the turning radius! 

I was thinking at one time of transferring the four-wheel-drive onto my 3688 just for the cool factor! But I think I would prefer my 3688 as a 2 wheel drive!

Anytime you want to come and look at the 3088 and a 3688 side-by-side you’re more than welcome to.  Or maybe I can sell you the four-wheel-drive off the 3088… I’m not sure how much it is worth but chances are the four-wheel-drive is worth more than what I paid for the whole tractor! 

Or maybe I can rent you the 3088 when you need a four-wheel-drive tractor, it has a turbo on the engine so I’m sure it would have as much or more power than the 3688... I also have a line on a 3588 2+2 that I want to buy, if I get that tractor I could rent it to you! 

8 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

That is exactly what I do! When my tractors get new tires they all get Michelin Agri bibs, they seem to work best in my soil conditions and my dealer sells them to me at a very reasonable price!  Most of the sizes that I buy are either 18.4 R 38 or 20.8 R 38 

I adjust my air pressures according to the weight that they are carrying, for example if we were hauling the liquid manure spreader‘s the pressures will get increased or I will reduce the air pressure for the summer for a smoother ride on the hayfields!

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Not going to be correct on many different sizes and different tires will have a different footprint. Both Firestone radial all traction in an 18.4r42 and 18.4r46 dualed up on our Magnums the 42 had 3 treads on the ground but the 46 had 4 on the ground. The tractor with the 46" handled the loads pulled much better but the biggest difference was tire life. 2100 hours on the 42" and 4500 on the 46" is a huge difference in my opinion

That’s for sure! When I bought my MX 220 I ordered it with 520/85 R 46  tires on the rear and 480/70 R 34s on the front, compared to the 7120 that had 38‘s on the rear the MX 220 would pull the manure spreader’s and forage harvester and waggon through the mud like nothing where the 7120 would be stuck! 

Unfortunately all the extra rubber on the rear in the world does you no good when the front won't stay on top!

Sometimes, though, all the MFWA does is allow you to dig a bigger hole!

• Like 1

The 72xx Magnum book didn't have as much detail for the air pressure . The 89xx book had the charts listing used as duals or singles. Middle picture shows what our 8950 weights with duals and front weights , 9000 on the front axle , 23,750 total weight. You need to know weight with the drawbar weight included for what you are doing. We will change air pressure to plow otherwise it's like having a different tractor

IMG_20190613_105425928.jpg

IMG_20190613_105403173.jpg

IMG_20190613_105204021.jpg

15 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

I haven’t had much time to play with my 3088 four-wheel-drive yet,  but what I’ve done with it so far I was not impressed on the turning radius! 

I was thinking at one time of transferring the four-wheel-drive onto my 3688 just for the cool factor! But I think I would prefer my 3688 as a 2 wheel drive!

Anytime you want to come and look at the 3088 and a 3688 side-by-side you’re more than welcome to.  Or maybe I can sell you the four-wheel-drive off the 3088… I’m not sure how much it is worth but chances are the four-wheel-drive is worth more than what I paid for the whole tractor! 

Or maybe I can rent you the 3088 when you need a four-wheel-drive tractor, it has a turbo on the engine so I’m sure it would have as much or more power than the 3688... I also have a line on a 3588 2+2 that I want to buy, if I get that tractor I could rent it to you! 

That is exactly what I do! When my tractors get new tires they all get Michelin Agri bibs, they seem to work best in my soil conditions and my dealer sells them to me at a very reasonable price!  Most of the sizes that I buy are either 18.4 R 38 or 20.8 R 38 

I adjust my air pressures according to the weight that they are carrying, for example if we were hauling the liquid manure spreader‘s the pressures will get increased or I will reduce the air pressure for the summer for a smoother ride on the hayfields!

That’s for sure! When I bought my MX 220 I ordered it with 520/85 R 46  tires on the rear and 480/70 R 34s on the front, compared to the 7120 that had 38‘s on the rear the MX 220 would pull the manure spreader’s and forage harvester and waggon through the mud like nothing where the 7120 would be stuck! 

21 hours ago, bitty said:

Most of the tires I adjusted often were michelin, continental or mitas radials, they all had the same tread pattern. I can see how tire diameter or if the lugs were closer together it would throw my system off. Thanks for the feedback.