Any ever put/or is it possible to put the 4wd off a 5X88 on a 3688??

While attempting to finish planting this 2019 Spring from **** that never seems to dry up - thinking a 4wd would certainly make things much easier!!!

Don’t really want to part with the 3688 if possible - but running into too many situations where 2wd just won’t cut it. Getting tired of waiting on my father to come along to do the job with his 4wd Maxxium. 

Thoughts?

OR

If I do have to part with the 3688, what tractor model would be comparable in size/HP/weight/etc?  Would only buy an IH or Case/IH - so you blue and green guys can just keep your thoughts to self - you won’t convert me!!!

26 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Any ever put/or is it possible to put the 4wd off a 5X88 on a 3688??

While attempting to finish planting this 2019 Spring from **** that never seems to dry up - thinking a 4wd would certainly make things much easier!!!

Don’t really want to part with the 3688 if possible - but running into too many situations where 2wd just won’t cut it. Getting tired of waiting on my father to come along to do the job with his 4wd Maxxium. 

Thoughts?

OR

If I do have to part with the 3688, what tractor model would be comparable in size/HP/weight/etc?  Would only buy an IH or Case/IH - so you blue and green guys can just keep your thoughts to self - you won’t convert me!!!

I don't believe you can put the 50 series axle under the 30 series.  You could the older axles off a 66 or 86 as long as it's not a 15. 

Boxcar Magnum and forget about it. Little bigger and more HP, but a much nicer tractor too.  

• Like 1

You could always use a aftermarket setup like an Elwood but they say they don't like to turn. I'm pretty sure a 3688 is like a 5x88 you can't convert a two wheel drive to a factory four wheel setup. As for buying another tractor it all depends on your budget 

Yeah I definitely don’t want to have a tractor that needs 10 acres to turn around. 

How much bigger dimension wise is a Magnum?  Someone once told me to stay away from a 7110 model, can’t remember the reason. It was a mechanical issue that just wasn’t nice.  Old age sucks when it comes to remembering important info!

budget - cheap as possible!  Certainly don’t have $75,000 to spend on a tractor- and the older the better to a certain extent. I don’t like the idea of plastic when it comes to a farm tractor. Roads and fields are rough, my luck plastic would blow up on me first cool day it gets used!

13 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Yeah I definitely don’t want to have a tractor that needs 10 acres to turn around. 

How much bigger dimension wise is a Magnum?  Someone once told me to stay away from a 7110 model, can’t remember the reason. It was a mechanical issue that just wasn’t nice.  Old age sucks when it comes to remembering important info!

budget - cheap as possible!  Certainly don’t have $75,000 to spend on a tractor- and the older the better to a certain extent. I don’t like the idea of plastic when it comes to a farm tractor. Roads and fields are rough, my luck plastic would blow up on me first cool day it gets used!

Not the best pictures but here's my 7130 next too my 1586. 1586 is same size as your 3688.  Wheel base is a little longer than the 15, and it weighs a little more, but very comparable in size.  

7110 or any 10 model as I understand it has bushings in the rear diff instead of bearings, and if used to turn on end rows a bunch the diff can fail.   

I got my magnum for what I felt was reasonable, and it sure wasn't 75K :)

1586 and 7130.jpg

986, 1586, 7130.jpg

143351.jpeg

143353.jpeg

143357.jpeg

• Like 2

Magnums have 540 on them as well as 1000?

anything you do not like about Magnums?

1 minute ago, Mountain Heritage said:

7110 did, I think it was an option on 7120 as well.   I just put dual setup on my 7130 with a kit from Abilene.   

I haven't had mine very long, so it's a new tractor to me.  Compared to an 86 series it's night and day better.  Cab and steps are 10X better.  The powershift transmission will absolutely spoil you.  The side exhaust is pretty nice too.  Putting fuel in it is much improved as well. 

Other than the Case Eagle in the center of the steering wheel isn't much not to like! :)

The boxcar Magnums and the 7000 series JD both have excellent reputations.  Pretty hard to go wrong with either if you find a solid machine.  The 7000 JD might be a bit smaller/nimbler.  I'm an IH guy, but the JD 7410 I found too cheap to pass up has been just A-1 for me.    (still miss my 806 for some stuff though!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

The boxcar Magnums and the 7000 series JD both have excellent reputations.  Pretty hard to go wrong with either if you find a solid machine.  The 7000 JD might be a bit smaller/nimbler.  I'm an IH guy, but the JD 7410 I found too cheap to pass up has been just A-1 for me.    (still miss my 806 for some stuff though!)

My best friend's dad has a 7130 JD that I have used a few times.  His is the 4cyl version so it's a little lacking on power for the size tractor it is, but it's a really nice tractor.   Cab is super quiet on it and it makes a good loader tractor.   Reverser transmission and power quad works well too.  

But he said no green stuff! 

So what is the difference between 7110 & 7210 models?  According to Tractor data they are same hp?

did they maybe do the rear end upgrade in the 72xx series?

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

My best friend's dad has a 7130 JD that I have used a few times.  His is the 4cyl version so it's a little lacking on power for the size tractor it is, but it's a really nice tractor.   Cab is super quiet on it and it makes a good loader tractor.   Reverser transmission and power quad works well too.  

But he said no green stuff! 

AH!  You are right, I missed that!  My bad.  Guess I was remembering I was looking for a boxcar magnum or a 5000 series CIH just like the poster.  Couldn't find either one I could afford--or they were trashed.  Finally had the JD 7410 pop up locally, went up and looked at it, drove it around a bit, and just bought it.   Kinda kicked myself afterwards for not waiting to find a CIH, but after 5 years, I'm happy with it.   

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

7110 did, I think it was an option on 7120 as well.   I just put dual setup on my 7130 with a kit from Abilene.   

I haven't had mine very long, so it's a new tractor to me.  Compared to an 86 series it's night and day better.  Cab and steps are 10X better.  The powershift transmission will absolutely spoil you.  The side exhaust is pretty nice too.  Putting fuel in it is much improved as well. 

Other than the Case Eagle in the center of the steering wheel isn't much not to like! :)

You can change that emblem.  We had a customer at the dealership when the magnums were new that insisted on changing the emblem in the steering wheel, adding an IH to the grille and International on the back window.  Part of dealer prep when he purchased a tractor.  We added big IH emblems to his 2188 and 2388 combines too.

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

So what is the difference between 7110 & 7210 models?  According to Tractor data they are same hp?

did they maybe do the rear end upgrade in the 72xx series?

Some updates, nothing really major except 72 had muffler and stack as one unit instead of muffler under hood.  Late 72 series had push button pto engagement for example. 89 series even more updates and the start of emissions tier 1 I think?  89 series also had stamped steel wheels instead of cast centers. 

Early 71 series only had 2 reverse speeds, but that is easily updated with just a shifter plate.  

49 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

You can change that emblem.  We had a customer at the dealership when the magnums were new that insisted on changing the emblem in the steering wheel, adding an IH to the grille and International on the back window.  Part of dealer prep when he purchased a tractor.  We added big IH emblems to his 2188 and 2388 combines too.

I've thought about doing just that at some point.  Probably when I refurb the inside of my cab. 

5 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

The issue with the 10 models on the boxcar Magnums was that the differential had bushings on the spider gear shafts instead of bearings like the 20 and up models. If you spent all day, every day doing pinpoint turning at the end of the row using the brakes to assist that turn it eventually ate those bushings and the shafts and your rear end wasn't long for this world at that point. I think I've heard that the actual rear end parts for the 10 series Magnums are NLA. Ive heard though that people have managed to put the better rear end from the bigger series Magnums in a 10 by converting them somehow. Of course if i remember correctly this was how the 50 series worked too. 5088 was a bushed differential while the 5288 and 5488 were bearings. Same story there 

I remember when you bought the 3688 a few years ago. When you were looking i remember saying something to you about a Magnum but you thought it was out of your price range. You also thought they were too big for your operation 

The 7210 was the 7110s successor when they changed from the 7100 series to the 7200 series. Some upgrades and a little bump in power but in honesty the same tractor.

Im going to throw something out there for the price conscious that might work and be in your price range. How about a 2+2? 4wd capability in a maneuverable package that floats in muddy conditions better than a FWA tractor and would work with your smaller Implements. You could pick one up cheaper. The only things are to get one that hasn't been rode hard and cared for. The other thing is something else i remember from previous talks with you is you don't like the 86 series cab layout which is what the 33, 35, and 3788 use. The 63,65, and 6788 cab layout would be like your 3688 but they were a rare bird to begin with much less find one in your neck of the woods in Canada.

Good luck on your decision.

6 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

The smaller Magnums had the dual PTO setup standard ( 10 and 20 series) and was optional for the 30 series. The 40 and 50 series were single 1000 rpm shaft but with time and money you can convert them to the dual PTO setup. A neighbor of ours did that to their 7140.

6 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I don’t like the idea of plastic when it comes to a farm tractor. Roads and fields are rough, my luck plastic would blow up on me first cool day it gets used!

The hood work, cab roof and fenders are fiberglass on the Magnums too. And spoken from recent experience they are very durable. Both of ours were out in the field during a major hailstorm a little over a week ago. Hail dented the h--- out of 3 vehicles, knocked holes in Fiberglass skylights in my pole barn. $5000 dollar range to fix Dad's truck and the Girlfriend's 2 month old vehicle. They want to total mine. The fiberglass on those tractors came out unscathed. The only casualty was a work light lense on Dad's 7120. Golf ball plus size hail.

7 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I don't have more than I do currently.

A 2+2 would be great for you to do anything that 3688 can do in poorer ground conditions with ease and it will turn sharper than any MFD tractor made in that horsepower range 

Not so long ago you were looking at tractors and couldn't make up your mind everybody advised you to go with something big enough that you could grow into. You acted like a 5088 or a 7120 was a 620 quad track.

A 3688 with factory mfd would be an Elwood. Dad has one on his 806 and I could turn a 20’ field cultivator with just two end rows. It’s the Coleman that doesn’t turn worth a darn. That said, a 2+2 will turn shorter yet, and pull harder while doing it. And you could probably trade your 36 straight up for a nice 35. A 63/65 would probably cost closer to 20k, but that’s probably comparable to a 3688 mfd.

19 hours ago, 88power said:

You could always use a aftermarket setup like an Elwood but they say they don't like to turn. I'm pretty sure a 3688 is like a 5x88 you can't convert a two wheel drive to a factory four wheel setup. As for buying another tractor it all depends on your budget 

The Elwood was the factory setup for a 3x88.

Good luck finding a decent one. They generally don't come off the tractor unless there's something fatally wrong. Not to say that it's impossible, but it's not like you can go to the dealer and order one for overnight delivery anymore.

The other alternative here is to tough out the unusually wet spring, which you're going to have to do anyway. More than likely your 3688 will be perfectly adequate next spring when it isn't so wet. Then you'll be patting yourself on the back for not taking on the burden of making payments on a Magnum.

Mike Mike Mike… You need to come to my place and take my 7120 for a drive or even better do some work in the field with it! And then I will give you my 3088 which has an Elwood 4 wheel-drive on it, you sure won’t want 4-wheel-drive on the front of your 3688 after that! 

Bring your wife so she can drive the tractor too and that way it will be so much easier to talk her into why you need (not want) a magnum!  Maybe Diane will be the one talking you into a magnum! LOL 

Our 7120 was built in 1990 and was bought and new in 1991 and been on the farm ever since, it’s been a great tractor that hasn’t cost us too much money and only has 7000 or so hours on it.

Everyone above is giving you great advice on a magnum, they are a top-of-the-line tractor and very reliable and there is still a few out there that are in great shape with low hours, it’s just a matter of finding them! 

You could also consider a maximum like a 5250 or an MX 135 which will be the same horsepower as your 3688. I know where you could buy a very clean 5250 with relatively low hours on it, I also know where you can pick up a very nice MX 135 with very low hours too, either of those MFD tractors will out pull your 3688! 

Here’s a picture of my 7120 so you can dream about coming out and taking it for a drive! LOL 

74076032-3E67-4364-972B-14AF662D6792.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Here’s a picture of my 7120 so you can dream about coming out and taking it for a drive! LOL 

74076032-3E67-4364-972B-14AF662D6792.jpeg

I'd come mow a few rounds with that! Nice tractor!    28 years old and still a solid reliable machine!  

No maxxum will match the reliability of the boxcar Magnums

Is a 3688 with factory Elwood front axle in my neighborhood for sale. I believe the axle could be bought off of it . And they do turn pretty tight. By the time Elwood got to be an option  on new tractors like the 3688 they had things pretty well sorted out. most have  28" wheels and  the center housing of the axle was narrowed up enough to go down 30" rows.

ed

PS,  Box car Magnum is still one of the  best  tractors ever built, and has about the lowest cost per hours of use that money can buy.  But Most guys in my neighborhood that have a magnum and a 2+2  in the same shed;  would tell you that when traction is a problem and the magnum quits going they Park the Magnum and go get the 2+2 out. because they will keep going.

• Like 1