Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We got a new truck in work. Based on a Mercedes Benz 519 sprinter.

Jeez I hate new technology. Too many switches and buttons 😡😡🤬

Stuck at 30mph discovered I'd accidentally switched the speed limiter on 😡

Can't adjust the air without taking eyes off the road and fiddling buttons through menus. Why?

Has a little feature that vibrates steering wheel everyso often. It seemed to nudge the steering wheel one way, I pushed against it amd nearly hedged the truck.

What wrong with these companies why do we need all this crap?

 

Bring back the starting handle I say!

And worst of all every time you open the drivers door the engine shuts down. What A PITA! 😡😡😡😡😡

 

Any idea how to disable this feature? I gather it a safety feature due to it being a keyless vehicle?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of dumbing down of society and the people designing stuff not actually using it for work. 

I'm guessing the steering wheel vibrate thing is a lane departure or blind spot warning.   

I hate most of the new garbage as well. I have a 4x4 truck that will shut the power down and bring you to a dead stop in mud unless you go through a disable sequence.....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..well Pid........come on down to New Zealand.......in a few months   I think the oxen  yoke  and harness ....old and dusty as it is........will have to be pulled down of the shed wall and tidied up for the future.......the "water melons"  in the coalition    Govt.     are taking us back ...or trying to.... to pre "fossil "  fuel days....... 

Progress    won't be the issue.......I believe   " Regress "  will    be a topical theme....

Mike 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run into this all the time with rental cars. I'll pick one up at night, the dash lights, especially the big screen if it has one, will be too bright. Every manufacturer has a different idea as to where to place the dimmer! Got to stop and find it or be blinded and have no night vision. Old cars you pulled the light switch on and twisted it for dash lights. New cars may be on the stalk or hidden on the dash.  Same way with the radio.  How about an on/off/volume knob and a station selector? Some cars don't have a tuning knob! You have to push a seek button.

First time I had a car with a lane departure warning I thought the steering was failing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 495man said:

Part of dumbing down of society and the people designing stuff not actually using it for work. 

I'm guessing the steering wheel vibrate thing is a lane departure or blind spot warning.  

I agree it is certainly part of the dumbing down of society.

All these safety features that take decisions away from the driver operator only lead to frustration and annoyance.

And why do we have to scroll through a menu to adjust the heating controls and such on these vehicles?

What is wrong with big push buttons , turny knobs and switches?

I'm  sure  all these features are only put on these new vehicles for no other reason than because they can.

And they wonder why there are som many accidents. To find these infinitesimally small switches then to see what they do on the screen yoy have to drive around not looking at the road.

It won't be long before I  will need a tooth pick and a microscope to work out what I'm doing!

 

Oh and yes the steering wheel vibrate is a lane assist thingy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

I agree it is certainly part of the dumbing down of society.

All these safety features that take decisions away from the driver operator only lead to frustration and annoyance.

And why do we have to scroll through a menu to adjust the heating controls and such on these vehicles?

What is wrong with big push buttons , turny knobs and switches?

I'm  sure  all these features are only put on these new vehicles for no other reason than because they can.

And they wonder why there are som many accidents. To find these infinitesimally small switches then to see what they do on the screen yoy have to drive around not looking at the road.

It won't be long before I  will need a tooth pick and a microscope to work out what I'm doing!

 

Oh and yes the steering wheel vibrate is a lane assist thingy.

 

How is it dumbing us down? The kids know how to operate this stuff and we don't so who's the dumb one?

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Ram trucks with the knob shifter will put it in park if you open the door to look back while in reverse. On the good side, it will not put transmission in park if your going 65 on the freeway and try to turn ac off but grab shifter knob by mistake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Those Ram trucks with the knob shifter will put it in park if you open the door to look back while in reverse. On the good side, it will not put transmission in park if your going 65 on the freeway and try to turn ac off but grab shifter knob by mistake.

 

Or turn down the bro country....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road trip in my daughter's BMW X5 35d. Thought I should check engine oil one morning, no one else does.... where the heck is the dip stick?? Read manual, operate control knob next to shift handle, screen pops up with oil level. Really? What happens when that goes to ****? Like my old Chevy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel you, my 95 3500 is stone simple by 95 standards even, I was just talking about how much I love it. 5 knobs 3 belong to the heater, 1 to the radio and 1 to the headlights. 

Jeep is the same way, no ABS, no dingers, it’s great. If it’s alarming at me, it’s because it’s out of gas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkG said:

Those Ram trucks with the knob shifter will put it in park if you open the door to look back while in reverse. On the good side, it will not put transmission in park if your going 65 on the freeway and try to turn ac off but grab shifter knob by mistake.

 

If you want to see what's behind you while backing up,  you look into those things on the outside of the doors with the shiny glass in them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get aggravated at the idiots at Chrysler with a 12 year old pickup that thought it was a good idea to make the horn blow if the indicator didn't know it was in park and you opened the door. Im learning some patience after breaking the gear selector off and showing it was in park with a lot of force. After several adjustments it only works right for a day or so then it's back to letting everyone know when I get somewhere. I leave the seat belt plugged in across the seat now just so I don't have an audience when I arrive somewhere now

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

And why do we have to scroll through a menu to adjust the heating controls and such on these vehicles?

That's legal and texting isn't?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldtanker said:

How is it dumbing us down? The kids know how to operate this stuff and we don't so who's the dumb one?

 

Rick

It's one of those tech dependency things, one might argue if all cars have the same features great, but say you drive a car with all the new stuff, then drive one without it, you might get in an accident because "it didn't tell me there was a car in my blind spot so I just changed lanes without looking" 

You used to have to know how to keep a vehicle in the lane.

Now it tells you you aren't

You used to have to know how to reverse a vehicle.

Now you have cameras and warning systems and even self parking features.

You used to be able to spin the tires when necessary.

Now the computer shuts it off no matter what. 

 

Just us old guys not liking change. I can start a carbed truck with a manual choke, arguably not a needed skill for any of today's new drivers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oldtanker said:

How is it dumbing us down? The kids know how to operate this stuff and we don't so who's the dumb one?

 

Rick

Because many of these features take decisions away from the driver. And not even important decisions.

Why does the engine have to shut off if the door is opened?

Am i more likely to walk pff with the vwhiclw in gear on this new keyless vehicle than on the older vehicle?

This vehicle is able to and has is exempt from being legaly required to be crap off when unattended. But this door overrides the runlock. So stop open door, restart engine, exit vehicle.

Why?

Why do the saloon light in the back come on every time someone opens a door but there is no switch by thw door only at the front corner of the saloon.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Beale said:

That's legal and texting isn't?

I've wondered this about many modern vehicles

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made me remember when neighbor loaned his grandson his 1977 f150 while kids ford ranger was in the shop. grandson brought truck back and told his granddad the dimmer switch was broke. grandson didn't know it was on floorboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 495man said:

It's one of those tech dependency things, one might argue if all cars have the same features great, but say you drive a car with all the new stuff, then drive one without it, you might get in an accident because "it didn't tell me there was a car in my blind spot so I just changed lanes without looking" 

You used to have to know how to keep a vehicle in the lane.

Now it tells you you aren't

You used to have to know how to reverse a vehicle.

Now you have cameras and warning systems and even self parking features.

You used to be able to spin the tires when necessary.

Now the computer shuts it off no matter what. 

 

Just us old guys not liking change. I can start a carbed truck with a manual choke, arguably not a needed skill for any of today's new drivers.

 

Actually my comment was designed to tease you guys........

4 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Because many of these features take decisions away from the driver. And not even important decisions.

Why does the engine have to shut off if the door is opened?

Am i more likely to walk pff with the vwhiclw in gear on this new keyless vehicle than on the older vehicle?

This vehicle is able to and has is exempt from being legaly required to be crap off when unattended. But this door overrides the runlock. So stop open door, restart engine, exit vehicle.

Why?

Why do the saloon light in the back come on every time someone opens a door but there is no switch by thw door only at the front corner of the saloon.

 

 

It worked!

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Actually my comment was designed to tease you guys........

It worked!

 

Rick

Yes you got me there!

I took the bait! 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Yes you got me there!

I took the bait! 🤣

LOL I let you off the hook. I thought about making a statement along the lines of training......I mean after all, NASA taught a chip to fly a rocket with a couple of lemon drops.......🤣😈!!!

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my 2017 Malibu has so many stupid warnings and dings, it sounds like a ringtone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cvphoto26052.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...