Mx 200 trans fault

The trans fault came up on the display on my mx200 Friday while planting. Seems to work ok yet, but shifts seemed a little more harsh than before. Was off Saturday for a while but came back soon after start up, the gear symbol is blinking as well, dont remember if it was on Friday. Is there a way for me to check the fault or does it need to be done by a dealer. It's got 4200 hrs now, 3400 when I got it and always has had a slow shift to odd gears when cold. After warmed up it shifts ok, but still not as tight as going into the even gears, thanks Robert 

6 hours ago, 1958560 said:

The trans fault came up on the display on my mx200 Friday while planting. Seems to work ok yet, but shifts seemed a little more harsh than before. Was off Saturday for a while but came back soon after start up, the gear symbol is blinking as well, dont remember if it was on Friday. Is there a way for me to check the fault or does it need to be done by a dealer. It's got 4200 hrs now, 3400 when I got it and always has had a slow shift to odd gears when cold. After warmed up it shifts ok, but still not as tight as going into the even gears, thanks Robert 

Turn the key on
Press and hold DIAG until the menu appears.
Use the up/down arrows to scroll through the controllers.
Select desired controller, press Prog to enter that controller in this case TRANS.
Up to 10 codes can be stored here, most recent will be # 1.
Use arrows to scroll through additional fault codes.

7 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Thanks, I'll look tomorrow. Will a fault code be external sensors, solenoids, etc,? Or could it be internal problems?

Faults are based on electronic feed back so all faults will be electronic in general. The sensor readings point to possibilities of internal problems.  Ie, low pressure readings only in certain gears can point to a leak in one of the three clutches that are engaged at that time.

Got a minute to check tonight, 05021 was the only code, what does that mean? Thanks

On 6/10/2019 at 5:25 AM, Maynard said:

Faults are based on electronic feed back so all faults will be electronic in general. The sensor readings point to possibilities of internal problems.  Ie, low pressure readings only in certain gears can point to a leak in one of the three clutches that are engaged at that time.

12 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Got a minute to check tonight, 05021 was the only code, what does that mean? Thanks

5021 is Low pressure in Odd/Even manifold.
Either there is a leak or the pressure transducer is failing.

Does this happen only in odd gears? Just the way you are describing makes me wonder if the odd clutch has too much leakage and once the oil heats up the pressure drops too low to set the fault code. 

3 hours ago, SDman said:

Does this happen only in odd gears? Just the way you are describing makes me wonder if the odd clutch has too much leakage and once the oil heats up the pressure drops too low to set the fault code. 

Had a tg210 this spring that customers said it would default to a certain gear the even or odd solinoid was bad 

9 hours ago, SDman said:

Yes, shift is a little delayed going into odd gears especially when cold. Usually gets better when warmed up. I've used it on planter for last 6 years and has been this way. PO said the same thing. Where can I check pressure? Transducer is sender for trans pressure, where is it located?

On a Gen I MX Magnum there are no less than 3 pressure sensors/transducers that read transmission pressure...1 on each shift valve manifold that contains the solenoids for the transmission clutch packs. The transmission computer uses those sensors to watch transmission pressure as well as monitor shifting times for shift quality. There are no accumulators on a Gen I MX Magnum and the solenoids used are just on/off in operation. Gen II MX Magnums used PWM solenoids and an accumulator for better shift quality. 

As far as the location of the odd/even manifold on this tractor, look at the location of the cab filter at the top step....the manifold is behind that filter and fan...about right underneath the cab where your feet normally are on the floor sitting in the cab. But, let’s not worry about that right away. 

First off, if there were an electrical problem with the solenoid or it’s wiring, it should trigger a fault code. But, the solenoid valve could have a mechanical problem without any fault codes...and the solenoids used on Gen I MX Magnums had more than their fair share of trouble, causing a lot of transmission failures because of this. The problem you are describing may fall into this area. 

As far as watching transmission pressure, it’s been awhile since I’ve done this without a laptop, but you should be able to read the pressure sensors on the instrumentation. IIRC, you need to get into the “Trans View” part of the diagnostics to read the pressure sensors. Also, IIRC, the readout is in kilo pascals, so you will need to do some math conversion to psi(kpa reading should be 1800-2000 IIRC). . All 3 sensors should be pretty close to each other in value with the transmission in neutral. I’m curious how much difference there is when the transmission is in gear.

To get to the menu, start up the tractor, and within 10 seconds push the Program key on the A post for a couple seconds. The A post should show “Inst Set Menu” in the area of the hourmeter. Use your up/down arrow keys to get to “Trans Set Menu” and then push the Prog key again. You should be able to scroll up/down with arrow keys to get to Trans View, then push Program again. Can’t remember exactly what all is available there, but you will probably be able see clutch pedal %, system voltage, engine rpm, transmission temperature in Celsius, by scrolling through everything and you should be able to look at the transmission pressure sensor readings as well. IIRC, the 3 sensors are listed as O/E(odd/even manifold), S for speed manifold(that’s the manifold behind the LH fuel tank in the area where you add/check Hy-Tran level), and R for the range manifold(located at the top of the transmission about right under your seat). See if the O/E pressure sensor changes much in certain gears with warm oil and compare its value to the other 2 sensors at the same time. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, SDman said:

On a Gen I MX Magnum there are no less than 3 pressure sensors/transducers that read transmission pressure...1 on each shift valve manifold that contains the solenoids for the transmission clutch packs. The transmission computer uses those sensors to watch transmission pressure as well as monitor shifting times for shift quality. There are no accumulators on a Gen I MX Magnum and the solenoids used are just on/off in operation. Gen II MX Magnums used PWM solenoids and an accumulator for better shift quality. 

As far as the location of the odd/even manifold on this tractor, look at the location of the cab filter at the top step....the manifold is behind that filter and fan...about right underneath the cab where your feet normally are on the floor sitting in the cab. But, let’s not worry about that right away. 

First off, if there were an electrical problem with the solenoid or it’s wiring, it should trigger a fault code. But, the solenoid valve could have a mechanical problem without any fault codes...and the solenoids used on Gen I MX Magnums had more than their fair share of trouble, causing a lot of transmission failures because of this. The problem you are describing may fall into this area. 

As far as watching transmission pressure, it’s been awhile since I’ve done this without a laptop, but you should be able to read the pressure sensors on the instrumentation. IIRC, you need to get into the “Trans View” part of the diagnostics to read the pressure sensors. Also, IIRC, the readout is in kilo pascals, so you will need to do some math conversion to psi(kpa reading should be 1800-2000 IIRC). . All 3 sensors should be pretty close to each other in value with the transmission in neutral. I’m curious how much difference there is when the transmission is in gear.

To get to the menu, start up the tractor, and within 10 seconds push the Program key on the A post for a couple seconds. The A post should show “Inst Set Menu” in the area of the hourmeter. Use your up/down arrow keys to get to “Trans Set Menu” and then push the Prog key again. You should be able to scroll up/down with arrow keys to get to Trans View, then push Program again. Can’t remember exactly what all is available there, but you will probably be able see clutch pedal %, system voltage, engine rpm, transmission temperature in Celsius, by scrolling through everything and you should be able to look at the transmission pressure sensor readings as well. IIRC, the 3 sensors are listed as O/E(odd/even manifold), S for speed manifold(that’s the manifold behind the LH fuel tank in the area where you add/check Hy-Tran level), and R for the range manifold(located at the top of the transmission about right under your seat). See if the O/E pressure sensor changes much in certain gears with warm oil and compare its value to the other 2 sensors at the same time. 

Planted a few beans for a neighbor today, so I did some checking. In the trans view the S and R pressures were near identical at about 1745 kpa, but O pressure was bouncing from 1600 to 2200ish until I put in gear then O stayed at 2542 while S and R stayed around that 1745. Odd or even gears the pressures stayed at above values. Would that erratic O reading followed by a high reading in gear indicate a faulty transducer or other problems? Thanks, Robert 

More than likely the pressure transducer is the problem. Interesting that it jumps up in pressure in gear.

Just out of curiosity,  you should see what it shows with the key on, engine off. They should all show nearly 0  Wonder what that one shows?

Also, 1745kpa comes out to about 253 psi. You might want to check/adjust your regulated pressure up to 295-305 psi or so. Makes a difference in shift quality as well. Pretty common for those to need adjustment at the hours your machine has.

6 hours ago, SDman said:

More than likely the pressure transducer is the problem. Interesting that it jumps up in pressure in gear.

Just out of curiosity,  you should see what it shows with the key on, engine off. They should all show nearly 0  Wonder what that one shows?

Also, 1745kpa comes out to about 253 psi. You might want to check/adjust your regulated pressure up to 295-305 psi or so. Makes a difference in shift quality as well. Pretty common for those to need adjustment at the hours your machine has.

How do I adjust regulated pressure? And where do I plumb a gauge to do so?

On 6/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, 1958560 said:

How do I adjust regulated pressure? And where do I plumb a gauge to do so?

Read the pressure in Trans View in the A-Post. Spec is between 2000 - 2100 Kpa or 290-310 psi.  

The regulator can be accessed between the right rear tire and the fuel tank. Regulated takes a 1 1/4" on the jam nut and the hex is 12 mm, 7/16" will suffice.
Adjust at 1500 engine rpm.
Cover the cooler and get the hydraulic oil good and hot, try to end up closer to the high side than the low side. 

Jim N.

8 hours ago, Maynard said:

Read the pressure in Trans View in the A-Post. Spec is between 2000 - 2100 Kpa or 290-310 psi.  

The regulator can be accessed between the right rear tire and the fuel tank. Regulated takes a 1 1/4" on the jam nut and the hex is 12 mm, 7/16" will suffice.
Adjust at 1500 engine rpm.
Cover the cooler and get the hydraulic oil good and hot, try to end up closer to the high side than the low side. 

Jim N.

Thanks, I'll get to it soon, luckily done planting with the tractor and wont need it till fall. Just had my 7120 stop moving and lost tach, some kind of coupler problem? 

2 hours ago, 1958560 said:

Thanks, I'll get to it soon, luckily done planting with the tractor and wont need it till fall. Just had my 7120 stop moving and lost tach, some kind of coupler problem? 

If it's the torque limiter we have lost two or three ( total) in the six boxcar Magnums we have averaging over 12k hours

Archived