This is a question for the hay buyers and sellers in Ohio and surrounding states. What is the going rate this year. Im trying to figure out how to price mine. I'm not seeing much advertised, but the hay that is out there has prices all over the place. Thanks

Well the best answer is figure what it cost to put it up, then your profit  and price accordingly.       Then you have to figure if anyone will pay that for it.     Sorry couldn’t resist 😉

• Haha 1

We are getting $25 for 4 x 5 rolls of grass hay in TN, picked up at the farm.  Square bales are $4.50, delivered, and I am probably too cheap on those.  Probably too cheap on both, come to think of it.

One year I kept up with fertilizer and rolls made had 27 a roll in fertilizer not counting anything else if I could buy for 40 I think I would be money ahead but some years you can’t find any around here.

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

We are getting $25 for 4 x 5 rolls of grass hay in TN, picked up at the farm.  Square bales are $4.50, delivered, and I am probably too cheap on those.  Probably too cheap on both, come to think of it.

That’s an understatement.  We charged more then that just to custom cut and bale hay.  Owner still has to move the bales.  And we are probaby a little on the low side.  Too bad you aren’t my neighbor.

Might ask  the hay talk forum ,deal in that all the time . Just another thought ,might be buyers. 

The other I use to see it advertised in the news paper called farm and dairy . They are in Salem Ohio 

Really to many variables.  Lebanon county PA auction prices for good grass or mixed hay (3x3x7) have been at or close to $200 ton the last few weeks. Usually round bales sell at a discount. Small squares $4 to $8 depending on quality.  

Set your price based off what you need.  

last week for '18 they were asking $8 sm b

we had a tough time getting $5 for good,best customers are traveling in 30 miles (from where it should be $3)

horse cidiots will pay$7-8 for garbage and never say a word but want 200% refund if 1/100 has a bad spot.on top of wanting FREE delivery 50 + miles then stack on 3rd floor

not going lower than $4 off the wagon.

and would like to charge for time on alfalfa/clover  (12-15 hours) for 200b, mow, 3 tedding,2 rake,bale,pick up(thrower issues AGAIN)

first time this year we had 90 hours without rain and it was still damp at 85h

expect to discount to $5.25 off wagon as 2% stalky weeds which naturally show.

already 3 weeks behind and expect 3 more for first  cutting,(2nd will be pushing 7-10d past then),with the shortage unless pre ordered may bump 2nd to $5 >+ if in barn

then 80% of the calls want you to be on call 24/7 when it is convenient for them to get 1-6b drop what you are doing and be at barn 8pm.

wholesale straw is $9 now, had a call monday...only.paying $2.50 for 12....UMM maybe try wally world they let you make up a price

Where I am in NY. Depending on or hay quality  About $25 for first cut dry 4x4 rounds $30-35 for second or third cut 4x4 roughly about 800lb dry.   $30-40 4x4 wrapped baleage around 12-1400lb depending on moisture content.   About $3.50 for first cut square around 40-50lb bales  $4.50 for second third cut square 

1 hour ago, krich said:

Where I am in NY. Depending on or hay quality  About $25 for first cut dry 4x4 rounds $30-35 for second or third cut 4x4 roughly about 800lb dry.   $30-40 4x4 wrapped baleage around 12-1400lb depending on moisture content.   About $3.50 for first cut square around 40-50lb bales  $4.50 for second third cut square 

Are those prices a result of the downturn in the dairy industry because I don't see how you can even go to the field for those prices.  Its one thing when you have to put up hay for your own cows so they won't starve but to put up hay and try to just break even at those prices is something else.  Heck my neighbor got $3.50 for small square straw bales last fall. 

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Are those prices a result of the downturn in the dairy industry because I don't see how you can even go to the field for those prices.  Its one thing when you have to put up hay for your own cows so they won't starve but to put up hay and try to just break even at those prices is something else.  Heck my neighbor got $3.50 for small square straw bales last fall. 

Ours isn't good quality dairy feed anymore. It's mainly just horse feed and beef cow feed.  No alfalfa it's all grass with some stalks weeds and clover popping up through now. That's about the normal prices around my state.  Everyone is local for customers. The big percentage of the squares get sold right out of the field. Load wagons and they come take it

Acouple got $458+ ton for small squares plus delivery here..............I am buying the rest of their big squares this week from last year yet just to be safe.  With this weather it is hard to say where prices will go.  I would like to put my own up, but my kids are too young yet, available ground is not close enough to get to with an atv, and like my wife always says, I have enough other things to do.

Thanks for all the input guys. Ive seen it advertised as high as $8 a bale around here, but i didnt know if anyone was actually paying that much for it. I sold first cutting saturday and was worried that i sold it too cheap. But i have a reliable buyer that buys all i have, and he comes and picks the wagons up right out of the field. I think being able to sell it all, without ever having to unload it, with one phone call, is worth a decent discount. It sounds like my $4 a bale is at the low end of the reasonable range. All things considered im satisfied with that.

If he comes when you call, takes the loaded wagons, brings them back empty and in one piece, and pays $4 for grass hay small square bales, I think you are doing okay. 

After we load trailers, whatever I can't get sold before we cut again I have to unload in the barn.  I would take the discount to not deliver, and not stack in my barn.

Yeah small squares are 200-350/ton in Lancaster County. Big squares stay at the 150-280 range. Round bales......lol they’re a joke.  Like anything quality is extremely variable and makes or breaks it in the cash hay market.  If you can’t be timely and make quality forage don’t even bother 

Geauga County, Ohio 4x4 rounds last summer were $45, very nice hay.  Right now it has been to wet no one is cutting or baling.  I did a little brush hogging Sunday and the hay is going to be tough this year although if it does dry up there will be a lot of it.  Fields are really grown up.

First of all there your ag extension office should have a commodity  average price chart, I know Missouri’s does. Here’s the main issue with hay prices. Too many variables. Me for example, I pay $6/ton for lime 2 ton/acre plus trucking every so often. Next I put down 31-11-11 at $475/ton at a rate of 250lbs/acre. My brome I planted last year Was $1000 for seed. Then add some spray to get rid of weeds $300. Now add some red clover in the mix $300. So I’m selling good clean brome hay for $5-$8. The people that know better will gladly pay that knowing what they are getting and a copy of the hay sample sheets as well if asked. For the rest they will drive down the road and buy joe shmoes fescue/brooms edge/weeds/ “mixed grass hay” that hasn’t been fertilized (ever) and give them $3 and think they got a steal while the guy making the hay is a crook IMO. You probably knew all this already I’m guessing. SO to accurately answer your question would be difficult however your average market is easy enough to find out as you already stated your price range. It’s now up to you to decide where you fall into the category and price your product accordingly. I usually sell myself on the short end which is my own fault. Personally I try to keep myself out of the “horse” market. No offense to anyone with horse but that’s the people I’ve had trouble with whether it was no pay or return hay or whatever.  

buddy of mine bought 4x5 rounds at $70/bale CDN, nothing special bout it either he was just stuck. 

most seem to be priced around that mark, after the last three years where a lot of hay was fed versus put up, there isn't a lot of hay left in barns.

In NY, I'd be pretty happy with $4/bale picked up in the field. That would be great, but it's never ever going to happen because we make it faster than anybody could pick it up.  Right on my road, three of us put up 25-35k bales a year.  I've not taken less than $4 in a long time, that being said, it's hard to get 5, unless is like a small buyer and they only want 500 or 1000 bales, and I deliver it, and stack it on the third floor up of their $200k horse barn.... as mentioned eatlier. (I thought that was funny. So true) 

On 6/10/2019 at 6:06 AM, gearheadmb said:

But i have a reliable buyer that buys all i have,

He is happy with quality and price

On 6/10/2019 at 6:06 AM, gearheadmb said:

All things considered im satisfied with that.

Sounds to me like you have a good business situation. A long term business relationship wins out over "I sold mine for more than you got for yours" race at the coffee shop. Take care of your buyer and if he is a good one, he will take care of you. 

Good buyers are hard to come by.  I usually just haul everything to the auction unless someone wants 5-10 bales.     Load up 250, go to the auction, pay 5% commission, and you and the buyer both know you got a fair price. Most important I have a check in my hand 10 minutes later from the auction company that I know won’t bounce. You get burned 2-3 times on a load of hay and that 5% seems like a better deal every minute