Kycowboy

1086 ac blower and radio out

The ac blower and radio quit the other day while rolling hay. I've already changed out the cab solenoid and the ac blower switch it had some of the terminals melted from loose connections. Still no luck I've checked the fuses under the steering column and the in line fuse in the roof of the cab

It has the old style of gauges not the digital and a few of them aren't working mainly the alternator/charging one, fuel hasn't worked in a few years. Any idea where to go now

Are you getting power through your new cab relay ?   You have to follow the flow of the electric power.  It goes from relay to  a multi connector in corner of cab.  Check for power coming in to and out of the fuses and connectors.  Test light is easiest way.  

36 minutes ago, pete23 said:

Are you getting power through your new cab relay ?   You have to follow the flow of the electric power.  It goes from relay to  a multi connector in corner of cab.  Check for power coming in to and out of the fuses and connectors.  Test light is easiest way.  

I have power on one of the bigger wires and to the smaller wire on the solenoid. But not the other bigger one. I tested with key on and off. Could it be a bad replacement solenoid 

You may have a bad solenoid. Power from key to energize solenoid is the small wire.  So if you have power there it may be bad.  Use a heavy jumper wire across large studs on solenoid and with key on you should get radio and fan to run. You can also check the power on both sides of your fuses while the jumper is on to make sure you’re getting power through all of those.  

you have a bad cab solenoid.  I have the original prestolites here.  Do not buy one from parts store.  they are not 100% duty cycle.  the caseih ones are made in china and dont last either.  dealers are use solenoids out of mx tractors but they are little more to hook up

Mike

48 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

you have a bad cab solenoid.  I have the original prestolites here.  Do not buy one from parts store.  they are not 100% duty cycle.  the caseih ones are made in china and dont last either.  dealers are use solenoids out of mx tractors but they are little more to hook up

Mike

Should he check the plug connection in the bottom right-hand corner of the cab for corrosion, do you have flashers and turn signals?

6 hours ago, Kycowboy said:

I have power on one of the bigger wires and to the smaller wire on the solenoid. But not the other bigger one. I tested with key on and off. Could it be a bad replacement solenoid 

Just now, pete23 said:

Are you sure the new relay is grounded good.   If it is not grounded it will not click when you turn on the switch because you said you do get power to the small wire when turning the switch on .  If it does click and you have no power coming through it ,  then you have a bad relay.   A jumper wire across the two large terminals will show you if it is the new relay  that is not working.  Key does not need to be on when jumping the two terminals. I you do jump the terminals and still have no blower or radio, you still have more problems farther down the line. 

Thanks for the help the new solenoid was bad. Got a new one from autozone yo get me by for a while. I tried putting a pioneer CD player I took out of my truck when it was scrapped couldnt figure out the wiring.old cassette player worked but to many wires coming out of the cd player for me to figure out. I put the old 1 back in for now.

Thanks again for the help

6 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Should he check the plug connection in the bottom right-hand corner of the cab for corrosion, do you have flashers and turn signals?

Matt that would nt have anything to do with it.  that plug would be after the solenoid.  He has power on little terminal and one big to its getting trip power but solenoid is not tripping

45 minutes ago, Kycowboy said:

Thanks for the help the new solenoid was bad. Got a new one from autozone yo get me by for a while. I tried putting a pioneer CD player I took out of my truck when it was scrapped couldnt figure out the wiring.old cassette player worked but to many wires coming out of the cd player for me to figure out. I put the old 1 back in for now.

Thanks again for the help

Just be aware with the parts store solenoid.  they will over heat and cause damage.  Give me a call Monday and I can get ya the right one

Mike

9 hours ago, Kycowboy said:

The ac blower and radio quit the other day while rolling hay. I've already changed out the cab solenoid and the ac blower switch it had some of the terminals melted from loose connections. Still no luck I've checked the fuses under the steering column and the in line fuse in the roof of the cab

It has the old style of gauges not the digital and a few of them aren't working mainly the alternator/charging one, fuel hasn't worked in a few years. Any idea where to go now

bad cab relay or circuit breaker 

Was the solenoid bad or did  it need a separate wire to ground it. I've run into that a lot with replacement solenoids

5 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Was the solenoid bad or did  it need a separate wire to ground it. I've run into that a lot with replacement solenoids

It was bad

Well it did it again this solenoid lasted 15 mins.  Is there something that could be causing this? I know the one from auto parts stores aren't the best but I thought it would last longer than 15 min.  Just want to make sure I cover all the bases before dropping $50+ on one. Could the ignition have something to do with it. I say this bc when it was working I turned the key off and cab kept power. I'm pretty sure the alternator is bad batteries wont stay up and are new. But it could be draining bc of ignition. 

Sorry for the long post TIA

The solenoid burn together and wont shutoff.  If u have bad batteries the alt will overcharge trying to charge it.  Ut will burn alt up to.  Theparts store will not last they are not 100% duty cycle.  The china ones from caseih are junk to

Mike

A cab relay and a starter relay look exactly alike but are totally different animals. Your counter guy needs to check specs on his screen and give you the one with continuos rating. I bought them at napa. Work fine

IH had the part numbers reversed in combine parts book and we had to sort it out . Starter relays would fail in a few minutes when used for running accessories and the accessory one would not handle high current draw for starter solenoid.  Look identical. Fight parts men.

X2. Been there done that. I had a brand new one for a Ford starter solenoid in my shop, my cab solenoid went out baling hay. I thought it would get me by also for the day. Nope. Bout 15 minutes. It was so hot I was worried it was gonna burn. Bad idea. Wont work. Listen to the guys here. Auto parts ones continuous duty work but prestolite will last. 

Try a truck pro for continuous duty ones if you need to. I've had them power 76 lights on the cab of my truck for 20 years. They aren't as good as they once was but will work for a while. Napa brand is probably better if you can find one though. 

I think he should test the alternator and the batteries, replace what test bad, then just hook those (2 large) solenoid wires together for a few days and see if it all works. Just remember to shut the fan off when exiting the tractor, and maybe unhook the batt. ground at night for safety.  Right now we are all just speculating the solenoid was the problem, twice. 

15 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I think he should test the alternator and the batteries, replace what test bad, then just hook those (2 large) solenoid wires together for a few days and see if it all works. Just remember to shut the fan off when exiting the tractor, and maybe unhook the batt. ground at night for safety.  Right now we are all just speculating the solenoid was the problem, twice. 

The alternator was smoking the other day. Not for sure why. I've been unhooking batteries when I'm done. Going to pull it off tomorrow and have it gone thru. The battery is less then a week old. Might try hooking the 2 large wires together and see how it goes.