KK560

Different K301 Crankshaft Needed

My k301 crank from a 1250 is worn out and can't be turned anymore. If you have one you would sell or know a place I could get mine built up, I might be interested.

One of the longest life kohler rebuilds I've done was the 123 that tilled the potatoe patch this spring. The worn .010 under crank was polished by hand to .014 under and the old rod resized to fit.

Pake's in Janesville Wi. welds up Kohler cranks and will do insert rod bearings.

You can't weld Kohler cranks.  Crank pin is hollow and they will break after being welded.  Be leery of anyone who says they can do it. 

Get on ebay.  Usually several cranks on there.

On 6/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, J-Mech said:

You can't weld Kohler cranks.  Crank pin is hollow and they will break after being welded.  Be leery of anyone who says they can do it. 

Get on ebay.  Usually several cranks on there.

There is a guy just west of me that welds Kohler cranks up all the time and grinds them .  Been doing it for years.   Some are restroked for tractor pullers. You just have to know what you are doing.  Problem is cost to have one done right.  That cheap of a crank it is cheaper to buy a new one that weld it and grind it.   If done right welding does not change the parent material properties.  Most people that think they can weld should not be welding 

4 hours ago, RKO said:

There is a guy just west of me that welds Kohler cranks up all the time and grinds them .  Been doing it for years.   Some are restroked for tractor pullers. You just have to know what you are doing.  Problem is cost to have one done right.  That cheap of a crank it is cheaper to buy a new one that weld it and grind it.   If done right welding does not change the parent material properties.  Most people that think they can weld should not be welding 

I use a regrind er in Effingham.  He also does work for Vogul.  He won't grind them.  There are solid journal cranks out there that can be welded, but I still hold you can't grind hollow rod journals.  This grinder has a submerged arc crankshaft welder, and he bought the business from his dad, who bought it from the people who started it 75 years ago.  Pretty sure this guy know his stuff.  I rebuild Kohlers and sell them on exchanges I've been through a fair share.  I wouldn't even consider welding a hollow journal crank, but on your engine you can do whatever you want.  Like you said, costs less to buy a crank than weld one up anyway. 

15 hours ago, J-Mech said:

I use a regrind er in Effingham.  He also does work for Vogul.  He won't grind them.  There are solid journal cranks out there that can be welded, but I still hold you can't grind hollow rod journals.  This grinder has a submerged arc crankshaft welder, and he bought the business from his dad, who bought it from the people who started it 75 years ago.  Pretty sure this guy know his stuff.  I rebuild Kohlers and sell them on exchanges I've been through a fair share.  I wouldn't even consider welding a hollow journal crank, but on your engine you can do whatever you want.  Like you said, costs less to buy a crank than weld one up anyway. 

Just because one rebuilder does not do it does not mean it can not be done.  There is shops doing it and not having a problem. It's not cost effective to do it in most applications. So most shops will not do it. If the shop is good. Why work on a kohler single cylinder for a few dollars?  When you can work on high dollar stuff??  It's cheaper any more to just buy a new motor than to rebuild in a lot of cases 

1 hour ago, RKO said:

Just because one rebuilder does not do it does not mean it can not be done.  There is shops doing it and not having a problem. It's not cost effective to do it in most applications. So most shops will not do it. If the shop is good. Why work on a kohler single cylinder for a few dollars?  When you can work on high dollar stuff??  It's cheaper any more to just buy a new motor than to rebuild in a lot of cases 

I'm not talking about a "rebuilder".  I use a cam/crank grind shop.  That's all he does.  He will grind anything (that can be) that I want as long as I'm paying.....  he will for anyone.   I make it worth his while for set up though, bringing him 5 or so at once.  Cost me less that way too. 

Just because one shop does it and hasn't gotten bit yet doesn't mean it is a good idea.  Plus there is always someone willing to take your money and give you anything you want.  I kind of think you are talking out your butt more than anything.  Doesn't sound like you are doing more than repeating what you heard.  You build Kohlers?  Lots of them?  Kohler engines are very profitable for some extra money.  I can rebuild one in a few hours, have little input and double my money in time and parts.  Know why?  Because so many people will pay for a new engine they can just drop in. No idea how to fix one anyway.  Then, those who try can't read or bother to read, a service manual and only get 4 hours run time after their "overhaul".  Oh, and you can't buy a new K series engines anymore.  New crankshafts cost more than I usually have in parts on an overhaul.  I buy used and grind them.  Always grind them.... and I'd weld them if it could be done consistently without failure. 

31 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I'm not talking about a "rebuilder".  I use a cam/crank grind shop.  That's all he does.  He will grind anything (that can be) that I want as long as I'm paying.....  he will for anyone.   I make it worth his while for set up though, bringing him 5 or so at once.  Cost me less that way too. 

Just because one shop does it and hasn't gotten bit yet doesn't mean it is a good idea.  Plus there is always someone willing to take your money and give you anything you want.  I kind of think you are talking out your butt more than anything.  Doesn't sound like you are doing more than repeating what you heard.  You build Kohlers?  Lots of them?  Kohler engines are very profitable for some extra money.  I can rebuild one in a few hours, have little input and double my money in time and parts.  Know why?  Because so many people will pay for a new engine they can just drop in. No idea how to fix one anyway.  Then, those who try can't read or bother to read, a service manual and only get 4 hours run time after their "overhaul".  Oh, and you can't buy a new K series engines anymore.  New crankshafts cost more than I usually have in parts on an overhaul.  I buy used and grind them.  Always grind them.... and I'd weld them if it could be done consistently without failure. 

These shops are not working penny dollar kohler motors. They are working on/ Building high dollar pulling/,racing engine along with a special engines. so they know a little more than someone working on single cylinder kohlers.  Only reason these shops don't want to do them any more is not enough profit in it. Machines cost to much.  

9 hours ago, RKO said:

These shops are not working penny dollar kohler motors. They are working on/ Building high dollar pulling/,racing engine along with a special engines. so they know a little more than someone working on single cylinder kohlers.  Only reason these shops don't want to do them any more is not enough profit in it. Machines cost to much.  

Then they aren't welding up hollow journal stock cranks.  Maybe solid ones. More than likely billet cranks. 

I like the way you know what everyone else is doing or can't do.   Just because one shop (which you claim) does not want to do it.  That does not mean other shop can not do it.   I will bet the real reason your shop does not want to do it. Is its not worth their time. Or deal with it 

I use to hate it when people say something can't be done.  Now I love it.   Its made the company and myself a lot of money because we figure out how to do it.   Most anything can be done with right people tools knowledge and money.  You can keep thinking it can't be done in your mine.  thats your choice 

I like how you think you know what you are arguing.  Just another guy who thinks anything can be done just because someone else got lucky once or twice.  On a mass scale, the cranks will break after welding.  Not a good choice to weld them up. 

I've known the guy that does my crank work for at least 15 years, and know him well.  If he just didn't want to do it, he would just tell me that. 

J-Mech- Aren't Kohler K-series crankshafts cast iron?  If so, another great reason NOT to weld them.

Welding brings SO many problems with it.  Every place I've ever worked used Metal Plasma spray to rework or salvage parts. Typically same shop did the part preparation, metal spray, and finish grinding. Normally they would rough grind to a uniform undersize OD, clean and spray, then finish grind to final size.  Even the machine tool company recommended metal spray for salvaging parts that had a cutter break or other problem.

Another rework or salvage method for crankshafts is hard chroming. But it's hard and brittle, and sometimes likes to flake off. Ever had a chisel or socket or screwdriver have the chrome start peeling? And it's expensive Too! You put more than 3-4 thousandths of an inch on, .003"-.004", plating starts growing Chrome Trees.  It has to go on s-l-o-w-l-y to prevent that. Sometimes have to grind down due to pitting underneath the trees. Cost is all about time in the tank. It's not good for parts that have bending stresses on them, but swept plain bearing surfaces are good till the chrome starts peeling.

Yes, the crankshafts are iron.  The early hollow pin ones are cast.  Later ones with the solid pin were forged.

If you could find someone to plasma spray them, I wouldn't see why that wouldn't work. But, like you said..... spray, grind, spray grind, polish and done.... be cheaper to get a good used crankshaft.  They are all over ebay for less than $100. Don't pay more unless it has a fresh grind. Then, they are worth $120-$150.

I save tractors  sells .020 under sized rods so  you turn the crank one more tme.

21 hours ago, Big Steve said:

I save tractors  sells .020 under sized rods so  you turn the crank one more tme.

Only for some engines. 

He didn't say where the crank was at, just that it couldn't be turned anymore.