........few pictures of an open station D9 rescue.......roading to a National Park, and the D9 "fell"  into what we call a "greasy back".......which is a gully that has had mud and logs build up over the years and eventually grows grass and bits of scrub.......which ..to the uninitiated looks like firm ground, which of course it is....until some unsuspecting operator   starts through it on a heavy machine.......the pictures show the result. The  owner, one Fred Willets, was a typical old NZ'er.....totally one eyed when it came to machinery......if it had tracks....Caterpillar.......if it had wheels........Mack.......No deviating from that, so after we hooked him out with our IHC   wheel tractor and back hoe, and our   BTD8    82 series.......we gave him plenty of "excrement " over IH rescuing    the big Cat.....:)

Another picture of a friends tractor.........No canopy.....Rimu log  around  92 feet long......and very undulating  slope gradient........and instead of killing the operator...(fortunately ).....the log snaked down , caught up with the AD7 Fiat , smashed into the sprocket.....broke the track chain and bent the sprocket......Also pictures of  the Rimu tree and the Stihl  76....and the tree falling........It took a small oxy/acetylene set ..(carried in to the bush.....a selection of tools and a wide variation of swear words to get the Fiat .."back on track".......this the next  day, and of course it was raining by then.....)

picture of our old EX200, roading around a miserable ,steep face....with rocks of all sizes   in the spoil...and waiting to come down  on top of the machine.......Can be a bit scary at times......

Mike

post-157-1157014834   d9td8.jpg

post-157-1157014788  d9td8...2.jpg

post-157-1157014567  d9td8...3.jpg

post-157-1175673002  dwkramner.jpg

post-157-1235126471.jpg

post-157-1235126532.jpg

post-157-129179724664.jpg

• Like 3

Great pictures. Always the best ones are of trouble (as long as only feelings get hurt). I wish I had pictures of some of my troubles. I have no pictures, but the first job with a TD-9 Drott that was barged to the far side of a lake and because of pure stupidity ended up going in  the lake while trying to unload it on to a dock. It went in the lake and had to shut it down as it was getting water in the engine. Pulled the thing out with a TD-6 and lots of cable and block and tackle. Got the 9 running and finished the project and waited for the lake to freeze  and walked the 6 and 9 across the lake about 3 miles. Have vivid memories  but no pics.

DWF

Mike when I saw that first pic I thought that it had been double exposed! Quite a comparison, bigger is not always better! One of my uncles managed a highway construction bisness, he said that there was always a "Catipillar" only thing going on! His input was: if in rock, put in the "Cats" if in soil or soil/rock put in the "IH's", they would run circles around the Cats!

I see about your Hitachi, ground doesn't look to be the most stable. At least the operator is on the oposent  side from the rocks coming down...…. down hill side...… front row seat when it starts sliding!!!!!! Looks like maybe you were heading for the base of the second outcropping! I take it that you made it!

Great pic's, Love em!!! 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:31 AM, Grumpy Gaby said:

I see about your Hitachi, ground doesn't look to be the most stable. At least the operator is on the oposent  side from the rocks coming down...…. down hill side...… front row seat when it starts sliding!!!!!! Looks like maybe you were heading for the base of the second outcropping! I take it that you made it!

Great pic's, Love em!!! 

.......here is  the answer, Grumpy Gaby !!!....getting around ...and through the rock can be quite daunting......you can see the slope gradient..it is quite steep... and the relief  of getting through a miserable piece like that.....and onto easy going...for awhile......is  a good feeling !!...although sometimes  the big compressor has to be brought up......that is me ...about 10 years ago...hanging on to the rock drill......great exercise for a pensioner :(               two pictures of another tricky job......The excavator is the usual EX200/5......which I brought  twenty years ago.......(not the one in the first pictures...that old girl came with the property ...looked like someone had heaved it out of a C130   (Hercules )..ex forestry machine ...)......the job entailed several switchbacks  down an   800 foot , steep hill...eventually ending up at sea level....problem with working under switch backs...on steep country.....as the fill dries out, all the rocks come whistling   down on top of you...or even through the side windows.....(have to be covered with thick plywood  ......or else !!).......the old sphincter  is busy producing endless  "washers"  out of the seat material:wacko:.............in those situations.....

Last pic is Red Power Forum  member, Chris Tomac........from Michigan........levelling out my new shed site, with the old D6.   Chris on his way home from  a stint on the Ice..(South pole )..this about  six years ago..

Mike

post-157-129179721027.jpg

post-157-0-89210600-1296895671.jpg

post-157-0-89136600-1296897594.jpg

post-157-1202930776.jpg

post-157-1202930838.jpg

post-157-1266134304.jpg

• Like 1

Mike,

Awesome pictures of your work and your country side! Looks like you just get up in the morning and decide to take on a mountain or two before lunch! And the road goes to sea level for a reason? There isn't any thing around for miles!:)

Regards,

Chris

16 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Mike,

Awesome pictures of your work and your country side! Looks like you just get up in the morning and decide to take on a mountain or two before lunch! And the road goes to sea level for a reason? There isn't any thing around for miles!:)

Regards,

Chris

...good  question, Chris :)........the bloke that owned that large property   was never short of a dollar........nor was he ever short of a  pretty girl friend.......That road went down into a very secluded    , very small  bay...with a nice sandy beach etc....I don't really know what he did with the girls down  there.....built sand castles maybe :mellow:.....but whatever happened...it was  totally private.......

The raod down from the top cost plenty....even with a "mates rate" discount   it came to over 12K........the idea was to take his Toyota Land Cruiser  down, but  that only happen ed a few times.  The road  was "flawed " ...by virtue of the fact that a major  "switchback "  on that slope gradient  has to be built on the point of a leading ridge........The leading ridge happened to be the boundary between him  and, of course his neighbour........As the road was illegal.   .I.E.    without any of the plethora   of paper work  to gain permission to road that steeper   country...down to sea level etc etc........he didn't want me to go near that leading ridge, for fear of getting into the proverbial  with aforesaid neighbour.......At that point the job should have been put in the "To hard Basket "...but , no ...I was told to do my best.......so the switchback  ended up going off an "In bend "...(an absolute no  no ).......for many reasons, storm water control/batter cut height /  amount of cut into hill  etc etc........so the road didn't fail. completely...but only quad bike access   was achievable as the slump issues   ...which I warned him about.......took out a lot of the carriage way....He was happy though !!

It was a big property....I spent seven months doing , among other jobs    36 kilometres of road and tracks........but that switch  back   and about 100 yards futher down the hill was the most scary job I have ever done...big rocks...steep  .....the leading track out over the grade cut........some times some jobs are just so good..its great to be there...this one wasn;t, I would sooner been anywhere but on that slope

Mike

Wow, that road must have been a real bee in his bonnet then! 

Round here we have a phrase for places that steep:  A baboon can only get there with a walking stick.   (But of course in the South African way: A baboon can only get there with a knobkierie)  
knobkierie  is the local indegenious word for a rough wooden stick with quite a knob on one end.

.......posted first picture on previous   "picture or two".......found the 'follow'   up picture of two red TD's    about to rescue the BTD8  series 81, from the swamp .....

Mike

post-157-1263547970.jpg

post-157-1197706672    3xtd's.jpg

Kinda like exSW said: I'll never complain about my hill again. But I will.

Cool photos Mike! I gotta look again!

Mike's pictures are always a treat to see-------those are some steeeeep slopes; but always great scenic countryside.👍

Now--------about the picture of you dancing with the rock drill 10 years ago.   It would have made for a better story if you had said the picture was made day before yesterday!!!!!!

My 76 year old bones are creaking and aching from just feeling the vibrations from the picture!!!!!!😳😮🤣

Keep on rolling.

DD