Steve C.

Now leaving Illinois

4 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

In a word.......No.

Ok. I’ll take your word for it. High school history was 27 years ago. Was there some instance in USA history where this was the case?

14 hours ago, jass1660 said:

In paying rent on the house I live in I am indirectly paying property taxes so I should have  the right to vote as I don’t want taxes going any higher. 

Problem is a big share of people renting THINK they are not paying property taxes.  So they want property taxes to pay for everything.  We are dealing with that in our school district. Two of the towns are run down and have cheap rent so low income people move there.  They are getting state aid and have a bunch of kids and demand and VOTE for the school district to do stuff.  School can't afford it and when we have to raise taxes. The homeowner raises rent. And the renter starts raising heck that they are renting and should not have to pay taxes.  

What's I don't see fair is taxes other states charge for traveling thru their state (I'm not talking about fuel tax) or worse yet. Some states  charge a tax because you might do business in their state.   That is not right 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Where did Mrs. O’Leary’s cow get to anyhow.....

The cow gets a pass..................

In 1893 the reporter Michael Ahern retracted the "cow-and-lantern" story, admitting it was fabricated, but even his confession was unable to put the legend to rest.[29] Although the O'Learys were never officially charged with starting the fire, the story became so engrained in local lore that Chicago's city council officially exonerated them—and the cow—in 1997.[30]

A quote from Wikipedia...........

Mike

2 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Ok. I’ll take your word for it. High school history was 27 years ago. Was there some instance in USA history where this was the case?

Could have been.  States control who can vote in most elections.

2 hours ago, mikem said:

The cow gets a pass..................

In 1893 the reporter Michael Ahern retracted the "cow-and-lantern" story, admitting it was fabricated, but even his confession was unable to put the legend to rest.[29] Although the O'Learys were never officially charged with starting the fire, the story became so engrained in local lore that Chicago's city council officially exonerated them—and the cow—in 1997.[30]

A quote from Wikipedia...........

Mike

Regardless of the cows guilt, the subject remains relevant.  I think if they were to push the whole city off into Lake Michigan, it would make excellent fish structure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

When it comes to property taxes yes. Its easy to pass taxes on someone else when you have no skin in the game. When you have skin in the game a lot of people who would spend like a Sailor on a 3 day pass find their spending habits tightened up quick.

Im not saying those that don't have property shouldn't have votes in representation. Just in property taxes.

My Dad owns property in another county, township and school district. Cant vote on any of it, but you can sure pay the tax bills that others pass. Some again not having any skin in the game vote feel good things in knowing they don't have to pay.

We have a good friend of our family who owns a lot of rental property in town.  She moved out of town across the county line.  Now she cannot vote on property tax issues or bond issues. However, the tenants of her properties (who pay no property tax) can vote. So, of course they want the best for their children and vote yes. Does not cost them anything,  right? She says this is "Taxation without representation ".

If i own rental property the contract would be state that your rent will increase by 110 percent of the tax increase...

The other issue i have is they always explain how much a tax increase will cost for a 200k house well tell me how much itll increase for the farmer with 1000 acres...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

The other issue i have is they always explain how much a tax increase will cost for a 200k house well tell me how much itll increase for the farmer with 1000 acres

We don't count, that's why they wont tell us how far we get bent over.

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We have a good friend of our family who owns a lot of rental property in town.  She moved out of town across the county line.  Now she cannot vote on property tax issues or bond issues. However, the tenants of her properties (who pay no property tax) can vote. So, of course they want the best for their children and vote yes. Does not cost them anything,  right? She says this is "Taxation without representation ".

That's precisely what i was referring to. For years they take our money without us having a bit of say. 

Now it doesn't totally make up for Dad not being to vote on taxation issues but at least when i bought the farm i live i got a vote on township and county issues. No it's not a direct vote for him but most the time our opinions are close so he feels he has a voice through me. Not quite the same but it has to do. However that chunk of land lies in a different school district than i do. (Whoever drew up these school district lines was schizophrenic, im well into Jackson County and somehow ended up in what at that time was Albion Public Schools which was under Calhoun County jurisdiction). So any school bond proposal he gets to take it without a say. 

As far as renting. What do you do about Government housing? Albion, a town of now 7000 people and you have 3 true housing projects. I pay for the housing, then they vote for a bond proposal so i get to pay more while they skate away scott free.

About 5 or 6 years ago they brought a proposal to pretty much fix the athletic fields and pool for the High School. The school district was dying, everyone with a brain could see it. But the numbers got that bond proposal passed. Within a year the high school closed and we sent the 9th through 12 grades to a neighboring school district. Within 2 years we were sending the 6th through 8th graders there. That following summer the district was broke (3.2 million in the hole) A vote was brought and enough people with brains voted to dissolve the district. Good riddance. Still look at the fields at the old High school and shake my head.

BTW, the new gas tax that passed here is only one of 22 new taxes for us to enjoy.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/21-tax-and-fee-hikes-totaling-4-7-billion-coming-soon-for-illinoisans/

• Sad 1

Few years back there was a local referendum for a new school. Lot of people who rented rather than owned ran around bragging to everyone who they were going to vote yes because it wasn't going to cost them anything. Well the referendum passed. Supposed to be 13 months before property taxes went up. Renters, within days, got told that their rent was going up immediately! Wife's cousin was one of em. Man was it fun listening to her cry!

Rick

On 6/8/2019 at 9:51 PM, Steve C. said:

I've been voting, but I believe the process is so corrupt now that it's beyond repair.

That’s what the progressive left is trying to make you believe. It’s all smoke and mirrors 

Just now, Ihfan4life said:

That’s what the progressive left is trying to make you believe. It’s all smoke and mirrors 

When there are more takers and less makers every year, I don't see how we can vote our way out of it.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Reichow7120 said:

When it comes to property taxes yes. Its easy to pass taxes on someone else when you have no skin in the game. When you have skin in the game a lot of people who would spend like a Sailor on a 3 day pass find their spending habits tightened up quick.

Im not saying those that don't have property shouldn't have votes in representation. Just in property taxes.

My Dad owns property in another county, township and school district. Cant vote on any of it, but you can sure pay the tax bills that others pass. Some again not having any skin in the game vote feel good things in knowing they don't have to pay.

We own property crossing town boundaries. We are residents in one town, nonresident in the other. Just Ag land in the second town. We are charged a non resident tax for that AG LAND in the second town... 

10 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

When there are more takers and less makers every year, I don't see how we can vote our way out of it.

So.... we’re supposed to roll over and play dead?

Why do you think the education of this country has gone backwards?

Why do you suppose Michelle my Belle Obama wants to “erase history “? ( Her words)

You can’t look at any one thing and say _______ ( fill in the blank) 

But when you look at everything the left does collectively, it starts to resemble something that I certainly can’t feel comfortable with.

You take anything they advocate for, and ask one question- Why? 

They will tell you, inadvertently. You just have to pay attention to what they don’t say as much as what they do say.

Why do you think Trump is so popular? It’s not because the left- (or right) love him. It’s because he’s given a voice to everyone else who feels like you.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, mader656 said:

If i own rental property the contract would be state that your rent will increase by 110 percent of the tax increase...

The other issue i have is they always explain how much a tax increase will cost for a 200k house well tell me how much itll increase for the farmer with 1000 acres...

They do the same here!

I tried reasoning with someone once about this. I said you think they’re taxing a million dollar farm different than a million dollar residence. Think again! Sad part is, the owner of the million dollar residence more than likely has the means to pack up and leave when these taxes become unbearable. Try doing that with a farm.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, mader656 said:

Several years ago, there was a clown here running for county board. One of the things he was running on was that the "urban" parts of the county (his words... that was a joke in itself) were paying an unreasonable amount of property taxes, and that farmland owners needed to contribute more. I don't know how the figures actually worked out, but my thought was "what do our taxes pay for?" Biggest chunk by far is schools, rest goes for roads, police, fire, library, county administration, etc. Now take 400 acres of farm ground vs. 400 acres of subdivision... which will put more kids in the school? More cars on the road? More potential need for a policeman, ambulance, or firetruck? More calls from angry residents complaining that THEIR road is snowplowed by 5:30 am? I think, if anything, the farm owners are contributing much more than their fair share. Unfortunately, that 400 acres of subdivision also holds many more votes than 400 acres of farm ground.

12 hours ago, Red Collector said:

Unfortunately, that 400 acres of subdivision also holds many more votes than 400 acres of farm ground.

Thats exactly why larger and larger farms and fewer farmers is a disaster for ag politically