Steve C.

Now leaving Illinois

The great state of Chicago is trying it's level best to run off every productive person.  The gas tax doubles to 38 cents / gallon on July 1.

I filled my van in St. Louis this morning with 2.45 gas.  It's 2.84 where I live in Lincoln's land, and the tax hasn't even taken effect yet. I didn't make the trip just for gas, but I may start filling up across the river just to spite the DRBs (dirty rotten bastages).  30 gallons at 58 cents a gallon difference comes up to $17.40 savings on one tank.  I don't want to hurt the local businesses, but the politicians deserve all the blame.

Several of my clients are already getting their houses ready to sell so they can move to Missouri.

If we didn't have some pretty long roots here, along with a good business that I'd hate to leave, I'd live in Missouri in a heartbeat. 

Leaving Illinois.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

It's ok to pull up roots and try something new. We did and have never regretted it. MN is getting a little out there too. Love it here in Iowa. Been here 10 years now and am staying til i croak!

33 minutes ago, new guy said:

It's ok to pull up roots and try something new. We did and have never regretted it. MN is getting a little out there too. Love it here in Iowa. Been here 10 years now and am staying til i croak!

We already pulled up roots once.  Spent our first 30 years in Missouri but went to Illinois and started over after the early '80s droughts ran us out.

Not wanting to start from scratch again, but we may be forced in to it.

Steve I know what your talking about,even though I am 1000 miles + a bunch west on the left coast in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Thirty years ago I thought I would never leave,not to sure anymore. No sense holding land that the taxes are more than income. It's not there yet but as crazy as the "progressives" are to give everything away free to every lazy worthless never sweat. 

1 hour ago, new guy said:

MN is getting a little out there too.

That ain't no lie. Wonder what the state is gonna do when everyone who earns enough to actually pay taxes get tired of it and we start to leave. Heck if it wasn't for my wife I'd sell out in a heart beat. IA or MO Looks good as does ND.

Rick From the Land of 10,000 Taxes.

• Haha 1

Hey up here in Northern Illinois gas is $3.15 a gallon in Kane County yet in Crook county by work it’s only $2.98....

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Hey up here in Northern Illinois gas is $3.15 a gallon in Kane County yet in Crook county by work it’s only $2.98....

They love our money.

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Everyone around here knows you buy your gas in Wisconsin and your chew in Illinois.

Don't let our new Governor ( Michigan) see this. She's proposing a gas tax hike to even outdo you guys in Illinois. If she passes what she wants we would have the highest gas tax in the nation. It would be over a dollar in taxes before you even paid for the actual product. Nobody has really pushed on this proposal and im sure hoping it dies on the vine but who knows. 

Someone posted a meme after she proposed her tax hike. It went like this "Gretchen Whitmer, Converting more people to Amish than any Amish bishop could dream of" It had a line of horse and buggies in the picture. 

I found this appropriate for the subject. Relative posted it on Facebook 

FB_IMG_1559824090860.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Its the same or worse here in NY. People leaving the state in droves.

along with all the new taxes, springfield voted themselves a pay raise too.  term limits !!!!!!!

3 weeks ago Minnesota’s stupid governor was pushing hard for his gas tax.  He wanted to raise the gas tax to improve roads and bridges.  Someone uncovered his schemes, the money wasn’t going anywhere close to roads and bridges, and someone that works for MNDOT said Minnesota doesn’t need a gas tax for roads and bridges, we have 8 billion dollars waiting to be used on roads and bridges.  So these scams are becoming the norm!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Funny thing about diesel prices, when traveling between VA and IA, the cheapest diesel was always around Champagne. About 40-50 cents cheaper than IA and made damn sure I didn't have to buy any in IN.

New guy probably knows better but i believe our gas taxes are already more than that? An i believe they are set to go up again in next year or so....i know there was a 2 stage increase proposed at least. 

Oh, and one more thing. It may be a local thing but our tax accountant in VA is aghast at how high our Iowa taxes are.

7 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

3 weeks ago Minnesota’s stupid governor was pushing hard for his gas tax.  He wanted to raise the gas tax to improve roads and bridges.  Someone uncovered his schemes, the money wasn’t going anywhere close to roads and bridges, and someone that works for MNDOT said Minnesota doesn’t need a gas tax for roads and bridges, we have 8 billion dollars waiting to be used on roads and bridges.  So these scams are becoming the norm!! 

Yep he really wants to expand the lite rail that's already hemorrhaging money as it is. Last time I looked taxes are paying about 65 cents on the dollar for operations. That's where a new gas tax would go to start. Using it for the lite rail would be in violation of the state constitution which specifically states that gas taxes be used for the roads only. Here is the funny part. The state claims that they need 600,000,000 to fix MN highways. They collect over 970,000,000 in gas taxes each year.

Kinda like a few years ago when the vehicle registration fees were on the ballot as a referendum. Those fees are supposed to go to maintaining the highways.The state often uses that money elsewhere. A politician at the time actually stated publicly that if the voters forced the state to use vehicle registration fees only for the roads the state would only raise taxes elsewhere to fund what that money was currently paying for. At least he was honest.  

Rick

10 hours ago, Steve C. said:

The great state of Chicago is trying it's level best to run off every productive person.  The gas tax doubles to 38 cents / gallon on July 1.

I filled my van in St. Louis this morning with 2.45 gas.  It's 2.84 where I live in Lincoln's land, and the tax hasn't even taken effect yet. I didn't make the trip just for gas, but I may start filling up across the river just to spite the DRBs (dirty rotten bastages).  30 gallons at 58 cents a gallon difference comes up to $17.40 savings on one tank.  I don't want to hurt the local businesses, but the politicians deserve all the blame.

Several of my clients are already getting their houses ready to sell so they can move to Missouri.

If we didn't have some pretty long roots here, along with a good business that I'd hate to leave, I'd live in Missouri in a heartbeat. 

Leaving Illinois.jpg

Come on down

• Haha 1

Yea, Everyone thinks Tennessee is great but it is getting too full of immigrants and Country Music is not the same, it went POP. The roads are full of traffic with grid locks each day. I call it a smaller Atlanta, Ga. The prices are ok now, but are heading on the fast upper spiral.

Wisconsin's new governor swears he's either raising gas taxes or registration fees so he can maintain the roads.  But here in Dane county registration fees already went up $28/year effective Ocg. 2018 to maintain roads only in Dane County. I'm sure it will mostly get wasted in the towns and cities.

I remember when we moved into Wisconsin from Illinois  in 1991 the state income taxes in Wisconsin were about four times as high as they were in Illinois. Was thinking about retiring to Iowa.  Maybe Alaska is the place!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Its the same or worse here in NY. People leaving the state in droves.

Not fast enough. I want it to collapse and recover in my lifetime. But there won't be any recovery until it fails utterly and completely -which it absolutely will. There are too many people on the take to reverse it now. Like I said, I just want the inevitable to happen relatively quickly. I love the place, despise the state.

Good ole communist state of Illinois

Minimum Wage increases in Illinois to 9.25/hr on Jan 1, 2020 then to $10.00/hr on July 1, 2020 (that’s only 1 year away!) and then an additional $1/hr every year after until 2025 when it reaches $15/hr. 

The 15 dollar an hour minimum wage is a real thing folks.... gas tax, small potatoes to this nonsense! 

License plates up 50 a plate also

Weight fee of 100 added on all trucks plus plate increase

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Was thinking about retiring to Iowa.  Maybe Alaska is the place!

If I move again (in retirement) it will be to West Virginia...or maybe southwest Virginia.

Don’t forget full term abortion, laws against gun shops, and legalized dope...

5 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Wisconsin's new governor swears he's either raising gas taxes or registration fees so he can maintain the roads.  But here in Dane county registration fees already went up $28/year effective Ocg. 2018 to maintain roads only in Dane County. I'm sure it will mostly get wasted in the towns and cities.

I remember when we moved into Wisconsin from Illinois  in 1991 the state income taxes in Wisconsin were about four times as high as they were in Illinois. Was thinking about retiring to Iowa.  Maybe Alaska is the place!

Here in MI, we got the big tax raise on registration along with the tax increase per gallon on gas and diesel at the same time. The registration fee increases were astronomical for most vehicles. That was just a couple (few?) years ago. Now they want to raise diesel and gas taxes an additional .45 a gallon. It would be hard to swallow if it went ONLY to the roads, but especially so since they also want to use it to shore up school funding as well. Along with that, the governor thinks too much money is spent on rural roads, I think it was about %50, which to me is about right. She wants to change it so most of the money goes to urban areas where all the traffic is. I pay my taxes, and I'll be damned if I have to pay so much more per gallon to spend most of it in areas I don't have to travel every day. How about this? You get everyone off welfare that isn't willing to work, or work the hours available to them, stop paying for family planning and fertility assistance for people on Medicaid, which in MI is not covered by regular insurance for actual working people, and have a few more investigations into disability abuse. Take care of that and I'll gladly pay the additional 45 cents a gallon on top of what we already pay. With a smile on my face even. But, if we got rid of the waste in that stuff, we'd have plenty of money to fix the roads without raising the tax. But it's unconstitutional to make someone work or take a drug test to get every part of their living costs paid for by the government. Can't pay my bills but have cable tv package and a $1000 I l phone, and the government takes care of the rest.... No one has any self reliance or responsibility anymore. 

• Like 3