Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Rear tractor 🚜 tire ,bead comes out over rim.

I had trouble with this old tire last fall , the tube split, and went down . Took the tire off rim. Cleaned the rust ,primed and painted it with aluminum paint . I bought a new tube. Installed it and it sat all winter ,because I replaced the axle on the other side. 

This I think may be original tires Goodyear 6 ply. The beads are dry rotted. 

I put on the worst side I thought , with a caulk gun a bead of black rtv  around to help the rim. 

Did a test run of the tractor to see had the axle was working , went on some hills to get the new fresh oil down each axle housing. 

That when I notice the tire tube was pushing the bead over and off the rim on the side I didn’t rtv. 

I put the tire back on the rim with tire irons. Pump it up and decided to stop 🛑 for the day. It was Sunday and I never have good luck 🍀 working on the sabbath. But I did it cause the My needs the tractor to disc cover crops down. 

Since the rtv worked on the other side of the tire . I’m going try to do the same thing on other side. Deflation the tire ,tire irons the bead to break it loose and chalk the rtv on the rim . What do have to lose . Let set up over night with 12 lbs. of air . 

Meanwhile looking for a set of 15.5 x 38 tires . Any specials going on ag tires or did I miss that? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

I had trouble with this old tire last fall , the tube split, and went down . Took the tire off rim. Cleaned the rust ,primed and painted it with aluminum paint . I bought a new tube. Installed it and it sat all winter ,because I replaced the axle on the other side. 

I put on the worst side I thought , with a caulk gun a bead of black rtv  around to help the rim. 

Did a test run of the tractor to see had the axle was working , went on some hills to get the new fresh oil down each axle housing. 

That when I notice the tire tube was pushing the bead over and off the rim on the side I didn’t rtv. 

I put the tire back on the rim with tire irons. Pump it up and decided to stop 🛑 for the day. It was Sunday and I never have good luck 🍀 working on the sabbath. But I did it cause the My needs the tractor to disc cover crops down. 

Since the rtv worked on the other side of the tire . I’m going try to do the same thing on other side. Deflation the tire ,tire irons the bead to break it loose and chalk the rtv on the rim . What do have to lose . Let set up over night with 12 lbs. of air . 

Meanwhile looking for a set of 15.5 x 38 tires . Any specials going on ag tires or did I miss that? 

I've got harvest kings all the way around the M, the rears are doing just fine but the fronts are splitting open, they look decent and seem to do ok if your not doing anything super heavy, price point is there and perhaps given the expense of downtime and headaches of tire troubles you might look into a set of those.

5 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Would you send someone down the road with a tire that’s suspicious only to have it fail on them and possibly causing bodily harm, replace these tires, please.

• Thanks 1

Tires are never cheap but if you check with the local dealers, sometimes they can surprise you.

• Like 1

Getting quotes on tires 15.5x38 

firestone and is it bkt ? 

If the bead is coming over the edge of the rim the cords in the bead are broken or rotted allowing the bead to expand and come off. Don’t think you have much time left on that tire. 

John