Given the choice between a good looking IH 1256 with a bad TA (no low range) and a low hour (~2100) CIH 1896 for running a discbine and small square baler on hilly ground, which would you go with?  They're both about the same money but the 1256 has about 5500 hours on it.  I'm going to go try both out later this week and need to make up my mind.

Sure, I'll try out all gears on both, listen for funny noises, check for blow by, ask to hook both up to a mower or disc or something and verify that the hydraulics can lift the implement at idle with the machine warmed up.  Anything else to check on these particular models?  Assuming everything checks out on both, what would sway you to pick one over the other?

I'm looking at these particular machines because anything smaller is not stable on my slopes with my Krone mower behind it and anything bigger is just silly (a friend suggested I look at a White 2-180 that's local but that would be like towing a water skier with a battleship).

Thanks!

1896 all the way. Shuttle forward reverse shift for no gear grind direction changes, 3 powershift gears. A cab big enough you could have party in it. Console controls, AC that can freeze anything. That 1896 will have a 5.9 Cummins,  they're great on fuel and super cheap to work on. Parts are EVERYWHERE for them.

2100 hours on the 1896, are you sure it's not 12,100? Wouldn't surprise me at all on those tractors.

I'm all IH, but that isn't even a comparison to me.....take the 1896 and enjoy haying.

• Like 1

I should be a little more specific: the 1896 is open station (actually a cab missing the glass) and while the hours are low, it looks like it has been neglected.  The 1256 has a fresh paint job and no obvious leaks or worn external components.  I agree that the 1896 is a technologically much more advanced machine but that also gives me pause: I've split and done clutches, etc, in tractors similar to the 1256 and would feel comfortable tackling most issues it could have including replacing the TA, but that 1896 is scary to me.  If the power shift goes out I will be at the mercy of someone else to repair it and my little hobby hay operation can't afford that. 

I use my 1256 to mow with and love I use it over our ts110 and it good on fuel. If the 1896 scares you I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the 12... just my 2 cents. 

My opinion of a 1896 or 2096 CaseIH, is that the only good thing going for them is the 5.9L CDC Cummins engine.  The rest is a Case tractor.  There are specific powershift components that are discontinued, and specific to those two tractors only.  There is no F/N/R shuttle in a Case transmission.  From the way you describe, the 1896 lacks any of the creature comforts that it should have, being it's 20 years newer than the 1256, so I'd have to easily say I'd take the 1256, hands down.

• Like 2

Local shop had a 2096 in for power shift work, & yep couldn't find the parts needed in the planetary as it fell in a short serial number window. I think they ended up buying a complete power shift out of a different tractor to get it going $$$$$

15 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

1896 all the way. Shuttle forward reverse shift for no gear grind direction changes, 3 powershift gears. A cab big enough you could have party in it. Console controls, AC that can freeze anything. That 1896 will have a 5.9 Cummins,  they're great on fuel and super cheap to work on. Parts are EVERYWHERE for them.

2100 hours on the 1896, are you sure it's not 12,100? Wouldn't surprise me at all on those tractors.

I'm all IH, but that isn't even a comparison to me.....take the 1896 and enjoy haying.

It shows 2413 hrs on the meter but with the way it looks I wouldnt be surprised if it has 12413 hrs on it.

No I don't except looks awful rough for a 2400 hr.tractor. I was following this thread, I didn't realize they had the 5.9 in them.I would like a newer ,nicer cab tractor. Just googled it and up came that one. Just seems like a lot of $ for a very rough 2400 hr tractor.I don't know about the west but a lot of machinery sitting around not sold because of bad dairy economy.

@IHCfarmer: ironically, my two little tractors which I use for raking/tedding/small chores are a Case 430 and 530, both industrials and one with a loader. They're some of the most reliable, easiest to work on machines I've ever owned.  I briefly considered looking for a 930 or 1030 to do my mowing/baling but I want something with at least one powershift gear and no, I won't touch the case-o-matic setup.

I wouldn't be looking at either of those tractors for $14k. You can get a nice nice 1086 for that kind of money and have working a/c and a quiet cab.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

I wouldn't be looking at either of those tractors for $14k. You can get a nice nice 1086 for that kind of money and have working a/c and a quiet cab.

Where?  I drool over the tractors you have out your way, but by the time  I've paid to haul something like that east I'm into it another 1500-2K.  Plus, buying something like this from the midwest or west requires either buying it sight unseen (did that once, got a lemon) or flying out there and looking at it which is easily another 800-1200 by the time I've paid for airfare, hotel, rental car, etc.

Most of the equipment here in the northeast is either beat to **** or overpriced.  That's just the way it is.  The y're asking $12,500 for the 1256 and it won't cost me much to get it home, so to me that's worth it even if there's a pristine 1086 with a good cab in Iowa for $10K.

1086s are getting harder to find for that here in central iowa. I have been watching off and on for a couple years now. Nicer ones on craigs list are more often 12 to 14 now tho once in a while a few will pop up around 95, at least thats what i have been seing. Most are not pristine either tho decent.

24 minutes ago, chevenstein said:

Where?  I drool over the tractors you have out your way, but by the time  I've paid to haul something like that east I'm into it another 1500-2K.  Plus, buying something like this from the midwest or west requires either buying it sight unseen (did that once, got a lemon) or flying out there and looking at it which is easily another 800-1200 by the time I've paid for airfare, hotel, rental car, etc.

Most of the equipment here in the northeast is either beat to **** or overpriced.  That's just the way it is.  The y're asking $12,500 for the 1256 and it won't cost me much to get it home, so to me that's worth it even if there's a pristine 1086 with a good cab in Iowa for $10K.

Exactly,beat and overpriced. Most are from dairies,they got to start and run everyday. Ether is a farmers best friend. Then you have part timers who can pay more and don't want or need a 100 k tractor. That drives prices up.

I'm about 2 hrs from McFaddens they usually have beat up tractors for too much money. Most dealers around me are overpriced for used tractors.  There are a few IH tractors on craigslist around NY. This is one that I thought about going to look at but didn't really want to spend that much right now. 

https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/d/sauquoit-international-1206/6864768381.html

Theres a 186 hydro just below you in Mass. A 1066 in Albany  both on Craigslist. 

I've bout a few things from MacFaddens, a few good experiences and one bad.  Like anything else, you get what you pay for.  MacFaddens buys stuff people don't want for some reason so you just have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the links, the other day I looked at every tractor on CL and a few other places within 200 miles (probably looked at 600 tractor ads) and the ones that struck my fancy were either all sold, the seller never responded, or there was something else off about them.  I had somehow missed that 1066 though, I'll see if he's still got it.

11 minutes ago, chevenstein said:

I've bout a few things from MacFaddens, a few good experiences and one bad.  Like anything else, you get what you pay for.  MacFaddens buys stuff people don't want for some reason so you just have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the links, the other day I looked at every tractor on CL and a few other places within 200 miles (probably looked at 600 tractor ads) and the ones that struck my fancy were either all sold, the seller never responded, or there was something else off about them.  I had somehow missed that 1066 though, I'll see if he's still got it.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d/newburyport-international-186-hydro/6882983668.html

https://albany.craigslist.org/grd/d/valley-falls-ih-1066/6878148690.html

There is the other 2 I mentioned.  I think they could be better than those 2 at McFaddens.  

That 1206 is local to me. Don't know the guy, but I believe he uses it regularly, so it must work  ok.   A  decent 1086 sold local for $4800 a few weeks ago.  It was the only thing at the auction worth over $4500, imo, so there was not a lot of money there.  I didn't go.  But I should have.