Found these today in attic area above milk house in old barn I bought a few years ago.  Imagine they were tossed up there to be hidden from their Dad or grandpa. Pabst can cleaned up pretty well, but the Blatz can is pretty rusty on one side. I'm thinking from the 70's, anybody else have a better idea?  All steel cans with aluminum tops.

IMG_20190602_184444908.thumb.jpg.4a23878ec648ad4e83e9a4812d5fc32f.jpgIMG_20190602_184454805_HDR.thumb.jpg.f455758973e4c0cdf0ecfa02d199714c.jpgIMG_20190602_184503300_HDR.thumb.jpg.e4e2dca316a14efdd0a5e4f8d8e622bf.jpgIMG_20190602_184511347.thumb.jpg.adcc2c20a49824a3701b5ee984739d64.jpgIMG_20190602_185154177.thumb.jpg.7bc9d9bd78d46a1b40ce53e249919584.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking as early as the 60s. Im sure there are some "old" members like MTO or Lorenzo hahaha on here that remember that beer 

• Haha 1

Drank a lot of PBR but little Blatz.

Early 70's should catch the pull tabs but not sure.

Earlier was the "Church Key".

I like PBR, you kind of have to around here, the local ski area, ( there are a lot of them). Bromley, was owned by Fred Pabst, story goes that at the end of the year if they came out in the red they called up the brewery and got a check. dunno if its true but old Fred was direct descendant.  I went to high school with his grandson Tyler. Fred sold the mountain eventually, probably in the late 70's, but he opened it in 1936, when he opened Bromley he closed or sold pretty much all of the many dozens of small ski areas he had been opening for years, he  made his own lifts, all of them surface lifts ( you don't leave the ground) some were just rope tows, but Fred was famous for his J-Bar lifts, the last one was still in use in its original form when I was a kid, and part of it its still being used. some of them got moved to Bromley some sold with the areas they were set up on. Fred was famous for being frugal and shrewd, however he was well liked by everyone, that mountain was staffed by some real local characters, some of the last of which are still around. 

in any event PBR is kind of the local beer, every establishment within a 20 mile radius has it on tap and most of them offer a special night. you gotta drink it, or leave!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drink_can

I remember the church key cans from when I was little. But by the time I was a teen almost everything was pull tabs in 68/69 IIRC. Bottles still required a church key though.

Rick

Mid 60’s 

very nice find ,  keep em up on a shelf somewhere .  

Before  that type became popular they were called cone tops ,   Those have also became collectible .

AD844627-F9B1-4474-82E1-0547B2E1E3FA.thumb.png.e24845d6b4c7f83f86e7e6a4db73245f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barnsfull said:

Found these today in attic area above milk house in old barn I bought a few years ago.  Imagine they were tossed up there to be hidden from their Dad or grandpa. Pabst can cleaned up pretty well, but the Blatz can is pretty rusty on one side. I'm thinking from the 70's, anybody else have a better idea?  All steel cans with aluminum tops.

IMG_20190602_184444908.thumb.jpg.4a23878ec648ad4e83e9a4812d5fc32f.jpgIMG_20190602_184454805_HDR.thumb.jpg.f455758973e4c0cdf0ecfa02d199714c.jpgIMG_20190602_184503300_HDR.thumb.jpg.e4e2dca316a14efdd0a5e4f8d8e622bf.jpgIMG_20190602_184511347.thumb.jpg.adcc2c20a49824a3701b5ee984739d64.jpgIMG_20190602_185154177.thumb.jpg.7bc9d9bd78d46a1b40ce53e249919584.jpg

How strong  was it,  3.2 beer or regular ?  Use to make a run to OH cause 21 age in  IN and 18 age in OH. but think it was 3.2 beer

You have my brain in overdrive trying to put a date to the pop top cans.Mid 60's my uncle started started helping my dad with barley harvesting all around the neighborhood. He was the first person I knew to haul a ice chest in his pickup all summer. Always had beer and soda out in the field. It was only a year or 2 after that the pop top cans showed up. His beer of choice was Hamm's, "from the land of sky blue waters" with a pair of bears playing in the stream. The other thing was Coke for sure and sometimes 7 UP or root beer. I want to say beer and soda all jumped on the pop top thing within a year. I would guess it was within 5 years of the pop top the "cans" where all aluminium  without a seam.  

Not to lead this to far off track but the Hamm's beer stopped being a major west coast player in the market in the 70's . My uncles taste changed to Coors for a bit and then Budwiser. But Hamm's adds just faded away on this coast,are they long gone everywhere?

Now for the follow up how many of you remember taking the pop tops and making a "chain" with them. Following this line the new improved top that did not get removed from the can must have been about 1970 ish.

32 minutes ago, ray54 said:

You have my brain in overdrive trying to put a date to

Big commotion here in my brain also but try'n to recall just who or what company?  Recalling going to USAF aviation cadets and my classmate or upper-classman was from a pretty well known famous brewing company in Nebr. or somewhere.  Tad ??????

best, randy

58 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

famous brewing company in Nebr

Metz Brewing Co in Omaha, NE???

I found a lot of those tab's a few years ago when I had to replace the water line to my shop that my dad and uncle put in before my time 😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Metz Brewing Co in Omaha, NE???

Boy-oh-boy, I just simply dunno anymore/longer, all I can seem to remember, he was from some family there?  Tad Hammond?  Meb'be?   Later on when I happened to be stationed at Offutt on the Stand Bd. there I seem to remember knowing an Art Storz from brewing company there?

best, randy

made radio and tv antennas outta those pull tabs. draped all over my bed room for the radio in the 60s. TV antenna for my first residence away from home. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Brookville said:

made radio and tv antennas outta those pull tabs. draped all over my bed room for the radio in the 60s. TV antenna for my first residence away from home. 

LOL I remember people making curtains out of em. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiL_OTrqc3iAhUPZd8KHYvCCioQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F184929128419238047%2F&psig=AOvVaw31CVFgqHUhPI5SkMwtApPd&ust=1559651777597794

Rick

4 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Boy-oh-boy, I just simply dunno anymore/longer, all I can seem to remember, he was from some family there?  Tad Hammond?  Meb'be?   Later on when I happened to be stationed at Offutt on the Stand Bd. there I seem to remember knowing an Art Storz from brewing company there?

best, randy

I remember a Storz Triumph beer from Omaha when I was growing up. I believe they are still in business.

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

remember a Storz Triumph beer from Omaha when I was growing up. I believe they are still in business.

Ah-so, mmmmmmmmmm, must be some of Art's descendants, I guess.

best, randy

12 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Mid 60’s 

very nice find ,  keep em up on a shelf somewhere .  

Before  that type became popular they were called cone tops ,   Those have also became collectible .

AD844627-F9B1-4474-82E1-0547B2E1E3FA.thumb.png.e24845d6b4c7f83f86e7e6a4db73245f.png

That looks like an old school can of brake fluid .

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

That looks like an old school can of brake fluid .

Probably tasted like it too😂🤣

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

best, randy

Yep.  A friend painted his '57 Chev fuel injected ragtop Storz blue  in the Air Force  hobby shop on base in 1960 or '61.  Also had a Storz tap handle for a gear shift knob.

Ron

8 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Air Force  hobby shop on base in 1960 or '61.

That place was sure a "taj mahal" kind of place - as far as base hobby shops are concerned.

(Left there and Bellevue in early 60 to come to NOR up here in KMSP)

best, randy

Saw a hams billboard somewhere recently....some where between iowa and texas.....cant recall if it was an old one under something that had peeled off but it caught my eye and i commented out loud about it to wife.

14 hours ago, krich said:

I'm thinking as early as the 60s. Im sure there are some "old" members like MTO or Lorenzo hahaha on here that remember that beer 

I resemble that remark!

I opened Dad`s beer for him, he never drank more than 2, with one of these even before the church key tops.

Can Tapper,  Nickel Plated, PK60

The Blatz can is rusting out from the inside. :ph34r:

That stuff was rotgut but Pabst was/is even worse. 

Used to ride with my BIL to Baltimore PBR brewery and bring back a 40` van trailer load for the local distributors. 

You could buy PBR in a 5 gal bucket for $5.  Blaaaaa!