Reichow7120

It's official, this spring stinks big time

I need to rant.

The last 2 days we have been planting beans. Not great conditions but good enough for as late as it is. We have a 100 acres of beans to go and with the weather who knows when we will finish up. Been a struggle all spring.

Noon today we were planting beans when a thunderstorm blew up over our heads. Seed beans uncovered in the seed wagon. Bad enough right. No, it barely rained. We had a straight hailstorm of golf ball sized hail for over 5 minutes. We tried to cover the wagon but it got to hailing so hard we ducked into the pickup truck. 3 year old pickup truck beat up, My car dented all up, Girlfriend's car dented all up. Holes knocked in the fiberglass skylights on my pole barn. The only good thing is the tractors faired better. One broken headlight lense on one Magnum out of 4 tractors out in the storm. Lense can be easily fixed. (Worklight under the cab). Corn faired fine and it centered around my farm. The Home farm didn't get any hail.

I know for those of you that live on the plains yawn at hail like this but here in Southern Michigan we rarely see hail of this size, or that much for that matter. This is only the second time in my life ive ever seen hail of this size. 

I know its material things but im really bummed about my vehicle. 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. Ive had it for 8 years and have kept meticulous care of it. No dents, paint scratches all this time and now this. I have a feeling insurance isn't going to want to put a lot of money into a 17 year old car and im not in a position for a new car right now. You try to have nice things and at the end of the day around here somedays it seems you still end up with stuff that looks like it survived the Battle of the Bulge.

The pictures don't really show the dents really well. They look worse in person. That hail stone in the picture had shrunk to that size as it had been laying on the ground over a hour at that point.

I know that those of you dealing with flooding have it worse and i apologize but like I said i needed to rant. 

20190601_134045.jpg

20190601_134219.jpg

20190601_155504.jpg

20190601_155517.jpg

• Sad 3

Don't feel bad about a rant. Just because someone else may have it worse don't make your sh!t any better. I'm dealing with it too. We all are. Gotta let it out, don't let it build up.  

4 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Don't feel bad about a rant. Just because someone else may have it worse don't make your sh!t any better. I'm dealing with it too. We all are. Gotta let it out, don't let it build up.  

X2

Mike

It's amazing what those dent massagers can do at a fraction of the cost you'd think. At least it didn't do it when crops were up. 

Hang in there, Mother Nature is a b!&@$

That stinks.  There was a substantial hail storm 20 miles from here a few years ago.  I remeber the day clearly as it was near where my wife works.  Luckily she missed the hail.  1000s and 1000s of cars were destroyed.  Blew out car windows and all.  A bunch of those cars are still running around.  Insurance totaled most of the ones with coverage.  Some people didnt have coverage and others bought the totaled cars back.  Im sure it looks way worse in person.

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

It's amazing what those dent massagers can do at a fraction of the cost you'd think. At least it didn't do it when crops were up. 

Hang in there, Mother Nature is a b!&@$

There were several dent massager businesses that popped up here when it happened.  They only messed with the new, almost new and high value cars.  I agree the can do remarkable things.

That sucks!!

You said you were planting beans? Hmmm.....still trying to get corn in down here....

Feel for you with the hail. Rather deal with tornadoes myself than big hail.  I've never seen it that big before other than reported on the news after the fact. Hope it all turns out good for you on repairs and dealing with insurance 

5 hours ago, new guy said:

That sucks!!

You said you were planting beans? Hmmm.....still trying to get corn in down here....

Yeah  we did manage to get corn in. At least what we're going to plant. Ideally we would have planted another 55 acres of corn. We picked up a chunk of ground last weekend to work that was beans last year. Long story why they were without a tenant. At first we weren't going to do it but the owner offered to rent it so cheap we couldn't turn it down. It is right next to our land so itd not out of our way.

7 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

There were several dent massager businesses that popped up here when it happened.  They only messed with the new, almost new and high value cars.  I agree the can do remarkable things.

A couple local body shops brought people in to do just that. Long long after the hail storm they were still there doing stuff. 

7 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

That stinks.  There was a substantial hail storm 20 miles from here a few years ago.  I remeber the day clearly as it was near where my wife works.  Luckily she missed the hail.  1000s and 1000s of cars were destroyed.  Blew out car windows and all.  A bunch of those cars are still running around.  Insurance totaled most of the ones with coverage.  Some people didnt have coverage and others bought the totaled cars back.  Im sure it looks way worse in person.

That storm was five years ago this past week, folks are still shell shocked whenever hail is in the forecast.

We were right on the edge of that storm where I work. At our office, 3" of golf ball sized hail, 100 yards away a scattering of marble sized hail stones. At the office, 25 of the 30 employees had their vehicles totaled, over 100k of damage to our work fleet. All the work vehicles were repaired, but some were totaled years later due to leaks that couldn't be corrected. I would be careful what body shop you use for repairs.

Things like roofs and vehicles it is easy to see the damage, but things you don't think of suffer also. Our outside unit for the A.C. In the office got pelted so bad that all the cooling fins got mashed together.

I was lucky, I only had to deal with the storm aftermath at work, I didn't have any damage to either of the two homes i owned at the time, or my pole barn. Some people had to deal with it at work and home. My insurance company was easy to work with on my vehicle claim.

It was a crazy storm, something I will always remember. Living in this part of the country, we usually don't have to deal with hail.

These past two years, the weather has been really crazy. This past week we had severe storms every night and over 4" of rain in 3 days. If guys were lucky enough to get their corn in during the few dry spells it is starting to come up, I saw guys on Friday that were starting on their first cutting of hay.

I would much rather deal with big snow storms than these thunderstorms. I have some large ash trees near the house that are dead or dying that need to come down, I can't relax during these storms worrying about them coming down on the house.I

Don't apologize for  the rant, it is good to share. We all can relate in some way and know what you are going through.

• Like 1

My advice is don't go to the pop up hail storm,chaser screwyouforabuck hail guys they come here every couple of years and ruin paint.

Also when my 2 vehicles were damaged in a storm they wrote it up as one claim to save the second deductible...but your insurance may not. 

Third I feel you I had my brand new metal roof hailed out. All cosmetic but still sucks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yeah  we did manage to get corn in. At least what we're going to plant. Ideally we would have planted another 55 acres of corn. We picked up a chunk of ground last weekend to work that was beans last year. Long story why they were without a tenant. At first we weren't going to do it but the owner offered to rent it so cheap we couldn't turn it down. It is right next to our land so itd not out of our way.

Moving cows to pasture in the morning to get them out of the mud then gonna try planting a little more corn and doing some spraying. Rain starting again Tuesday evening and chances all week. Borderline conditions now. Gonna plant around the wet stuff and skip the poorer ground. Wont be pretty but i will be able to call it progress maybe....if i dont get stuck...

14 hours ago, mader656 said:

My advice is don't go to the pop up hail storm,chaser screwyouforabuck hail guys they come here every couple of years and ruin paint.

Also when my 2 vehicles were damaged in a storm they wrote it up as one claim to save the second deductible...but your insurance may not. 

Third I feel you I had my brand new metal roof hailed out. All cosmetic but still sucks.

That won't work as 3 vehicles. Under Three different names, 2 different insurance companies. Truck was Dad's. Trailblazer was mine. Kia is Girlfriend's that she has had for 2 months. 

We'll see what the insurance says this week. 

23 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

15 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

That storm was five years ago this past week, folks are still shell shocked whenever hail is in the forecast.

We were right on the edge of that storm where I work. At our office, 3" of golf ball sized hail, 100 yards away a scattering of marble sized hail stones. At the office, 25 of the 30 employees had their vehicles totaled, over 100k of damage to our work fleet. All the work vehicles were repaired, but some were totaled years later due to leaks that couldn't be corrected. I would be careful what body shop you use for repairs.

Things like roofs and vehicles it is easy to see the damage, but things you don't think of suffer also. Our outside unit for the A.C. In the office got pelted so bad that all the cooling fins got mashed together.

I was lucky, I only had to deal with the storm aftermath at work, I didn't have any damage to either of the two homes i owned at the time, or my pole barn. Some people had to deal with it at work and home. My insurance company was easy to work with on my vehicle claim.

It was a crazy storm, something I will always remember. Living in this part of the country, we usually don't have to deal with hail.

These past two years, the weather has been really crazy. This past week we had severe storms every night and over 4" of rain in 3 days. If guys were lucky enough to get their corn in during the few dry spells it is starting to come up, I saw guys on Friday that were starting on their first cutting of hay.

I would much rather deal with big snow storms than these thunderstorms. I have some large ash trees near the house that are dead or dying that need to come down, I can't relax during these storms worrying about them coming down on the house.I

Don't apologize for  the rant, it is good to share. We all can relate in some way and know what you are going through.

Yeah that was a crazy day for sure.  We were on our way to Wildwood NJ that day and it started to hail just as we approached a highway underpass and I pulled off the road and waited it out.  That was down near West Chester pa that we got into the hail storm.  I remember seeing images of the storm back here at home.  Many vehicles damaged at Geisinger and the surrounding car dealerships in the Danville area.  My one friend and his wife bought one of the new Jetta's from Jack Metzer's after that storm.   Had hail damage and got it at a pretty good discount.  They are still driving it today with the dents in it just the way they bought it.

Pulled over under an overpass in Ft Worth Sat. due to hail and torrential down pour. 3 lanes of traffic at standstill beside us as others trying to do same thing. Those stuck behind them started honking and raising a ruckus. Took of again when car ahead of us went and got more hail on wifes car. Still havent looked it over yet for dents....drove out of storm that as far as we could tell hung over Ft Worth for hours...

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Pulled over under an overpass...

I think that's illegal in some states.  Same as pulling under over an underpass. ?

11 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I think that's illegal in some states.  Same as pulling under over an underpass. ?

Probably true, but who’s going to get out and ticket you with golf balls falling from the sky?

Might be but we were not the only ones. And after we pulled in behind the 1st car to do it another pulledup behind us effectively trapping us. Car in front wanted to back up as evidently they were still getting hail on front of their car but i couldnt move to let them. One car in traveled part of road started to go but quickly backed up again. Car ahead of us finaly went so i did to figuring they knew if it was still hailing or not. I was wrong. Got sum more hail on car and dirty look from wife but we figured later watching weather on out phones storm was just hanging there. Also were approaching sirens so maybe it was a good time to go....idk. sucked tho. 

Hope things dont turn out to bad for reichow and his family. Storms can really suck.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Probably true, but who’s going to get out and ticket you with golf balls falling from the sky?

I was just being sarcastic.  Messing with overpasses and underpasses.

It's probably legal.  I'd do it in a heartbeat if it seemed appropriate.

"Course if it was illegal in some states Illinois would most likely be one of 'em.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Might be but we were not the only ones. And after we pulled in behind the 1st car to do it another pulledup behind us effectively trapping us. Car in front wanted to back up as evidently they were still getting hail on front of their car but i couldnt move to let them. One car in traveled part of road started to go but quickly backed up again. Car ahead of us finaly went so i did to figuring they knew if it was still hailing or not. I was wrong. Got sum more hail on car and dirty look from wife but we figured later watching weather on out phones storm was just hanging there. Also were approaching sirens so maybe it was a good time to go....idk. sucked tho. 

Hope things dont turn out to bad for reichow and his family. Storms can really suck.

Thanks, like i said it could be worse. Really the vehicles took the brunt of the damage. If the pole barn didn't have the stupid fiberglass skylights in it it would have been okay.  I obviously wasn't around for that decision when they built it 60+ years ago. One light on 4 tractors is pretty good really. Too bad the pickup and cars weren't built that way to survive that. 

Like I said out of our farmsteads, mine was ground zero. The other 2 farms saw no hail. Brother was at home for lunch and couldn't figure out why there were leaves all over the road until he saw all the hail on the ground and the size of it.

It just sucks because we try to have nice things and at the end of the day it feels like you're just fighting the tide. It still ends up beat up. 

Started dealing with insurance today 🙄.