Sign in to follow this  
Allredallday

F-12 Front Wheel Bearings

I'm working on replacing the front wheel bearings on my F-12. I believe them to be original. They have IHC part numbers on them. One wheel had a wobble so I thought I would just do them both. I can't repack the old ones because they are so wore, the rollers fall out of the cages. This tractor has front steel wheels. Are Wheel bearing kits available? Or, what are some modern part numbers that replace the old numbers. I will need the seals also. Thanks!

You need to take your pieces to a dealer and tell him what you have; they are probably the same as something more modern. The trick here is the dealer has to care enough to open a catalog made out of paper, if they haven't already thrown it out. You have to decide if all this extra hassle is worth the couple of bucks you'll save at the dealer vs. a bearing supply house. For the seal I think you are stuck with the dealer or Rice Equipment.  Rice Equipment can get a better price on a bearing than you can, be best just to let Frank get everything.

22 hours ago, Allredallday said:

I'm working on replacing the front wheel bearings on my F-12. I believe them to be original. They have IHC part numbers on them. One wheel had a wobble so I thought I would just do them both. I can't repack the old ones because they are so wore, the rollers fall out of the cages. This tractor has front steel wheels. Are Wheel bearing kits available? Or, what are some modern part numbers that replace the old numbers. I will need the seals also. Thanks!

What is the IHC part no.?

Take them to a bearing house like Motion Industries and get them to measure and match them.  It will be a whole lot cheaper than the dealer I bet.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:31 PM, KWRB said:

What is the IHC part no.?

Bearings are marked I.H.C with the following numbers:

Inner bearings: Cup 2720. Cone 2788

Outer Bearings: Cup 1729. Cone 1779

Seal: 42178D

It seams that the roller bearing numbers line up with Timkin numbers. The seal is what I now need to locate.

Also, is there a felt washer and a dust cup that go on inside the wheel????  Just making sure I put everything that is supposed to be in there back. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Allredallday said:

Bearings are marked I.H.C with the following numbers:

Inner bearings: Cup 2720. Cone 2788

Outer Bearings: Cup 1729. Cone 1779

Seal: 42178D

It seams that the roller bearing numbers line up with Timkin numbers. The seal is what I now need to locate.

Also, is there a felt washer and a dust cup that go on inside the wheel????  Just making sure I put everything that is supposed to be in there back. Thanks.

I think The Fordson House can get you what you need. https://www.thefordsonhouse.com/media/farmall.pdf

Ironically, 42178D is not in my master Seals interchange, but 42177D and 42179D are...

If by chance you read it wrong and it's 42179D, the see here: National Oil Seal or Chicago Rawhide (SKF)