Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cattech

Boy, did I mess up!

Recommended Posts

Ran a few errands on Sunday, one of them was get some gas for the mower.....took the car becase the burb is having issues.

Carried the groceries in, put stuff away, got dinner going....... neighbors stopped by...... completely forgot about the full 6 gallon gas can in the trunk of the car.

Went out for dinner last night, driving back to work on a very rough road, oblivious to the volatile cargo in the trunk.... suddenly smelled gas.... wth! Old car, thought fuel line or something leaking, nope, nothing on ground, nothing in engine bay..... finally thought to open the trunk...... 6 gallon gas can only has about 1/2 gallon left in it.

The rest... spare tire well full, carpet soaked a bunch up.... and worst part... some ran forward under the back seat.... about the only way you could stink up a car worse would be to leave something dead under the seat or let a skunk spray inside.

Could have been worse I guess, I didn't burst into flames or blow up. Could have been exciting being I'm still a smoker.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings me back to a 56 Chevy pickup, with the tank behind the drivers seat the cab always smelled of gasoline. 

Strike up another one for luck!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember those days with the Fuel tanks behind the seats. We never gave it a thought that we could have gone up in flames. Many folks smoked and never had a problem. Also many folks smoked while pumping fuel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always driven sedans. I was once taking a gas can out of the truck and the spout got caught and ripped off. Spilled diesel all over. Only lost about 1/2 gallon though, and it stunk up everything. Still smelled years later when the car guy hauled to the scrapper.

I would be very careful with that car even after you've cleaned it to the best of your ability. I don't need to tell you that gasoline fumes are more dangerous than liquid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cattech said:

about the only way you could stink up a car worse would be to leave something dead under the seat or let a skunk spray inside.

Sounds like you need the Grumpy Old Men air freshener😋😂🤣

1687785979_grumpyfishincar.jpg.b5a7a9af01ab7594e3be34817e05df55.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

those two grumpys had an international travelall .😂    i can't remember what they stunk the travelall up with?  look at those square windows, with flat glass,the roof was actually about as wide as the body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read hot water/vinegar/baking soda mixture will absorb/neutralize gas fumes

or a match if you`re in a hurry.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fred B said:

those two grumpys had an international travelall .😂    i can't remember what they stunk the travelall up with?

Kinda looks like a perch to me. Walter Matthaw had the travelall. Jack Lemmon had a 68 Dodge Polara???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. Have a significant other treats her SUV as a pickup and has no issues loading in a can or two of gas. Usually two or three days prior to filling. Likely won’t explode but what a stink. Three pickups available to move fuel but we need to be independent ya know. 

John

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This goes with the milk or cream can thread. Have had several people tell me that if you spilled any cream or ripped can in car on way to town it was a smell that never left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dale560 said:

This goes with the milk or cream can thread. Have had several people tell me that if you spilled any cream or ripped can in car on way to town it was a smell that never left.

Absolutely the worst smell I have experience. 

After our barn burned my wife was feeding the calves and she spilled some milk in the S10 Blazer . Within a month boy did it smell . We thought there was a dirty diaper hid somewhere underneath the seats. It got to where we tore up the vehicle trying to find it.  Finally we figure it out it was a little bit of milk that slopped and that smelled worse than a dirty diaper

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bitty said:

Absolutely the worst smell I have experience. 

After our barn burned my wife was feeding the calves and she spilled some milk in the S10 Blazer . Within a month boy did it smell . We thought there was a dirty diaper hid somewhere underneath the seats. It got to where we tore up the vehicle trying to find it.  Finally we figure it out it was a little bit of milk that slopped and that smelled worse than a dirty diaper

I had a plastic pint milk bottle get lost under a seat once. Must've been there a few months. Then someone adjusted the seat back, a pop sound, and instant killer stink.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted a four wheeler as a kid. Dad bought me a 49 willys jeep instead. The drivers seat was bolted over and around gas tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mice urine , got it in the dump truck . What your opinion on get it out .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A friend of mine was complaining about the air quality inside her car, when I pulled out the cabin air filter I found a mouse nest on top of it! 

 It was much better after installing a new filter! 

FD4DBCFF-7FAF-4F4D-BF33-2F1EA95036E2.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, littletom said:

I wanted a four wheeler as a kid. Dad bought me a 49 willys jeep instead. The drivers seat was bolted over and around gas tank.

Id take the willys over the 4 wheeler any day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Mice urine , got it in the dump truck . What your opinion on get it out .

Burn it to the ground! Filthy vermin. Worse than cats!

 

Seriously though, I might try a baking soda paste, if you can find the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Burn it to the ground! Filthy vermin. Worse than cats!

 

Seriously though, I might try a baking soda paste, if you can find the spot.

Ouch ,all over in there. I think in the heater ducts. Purple and soak and power wash it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Mice urine , got it in the dump truck . What your opinion on get it out .

I had to pull the heater core and cleaned mouse nests from the vents of my dump truck.  Nasty buggers make it reek awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use "Cab Fresh" to try to keep them out. It smells kinda like peppermint and works pretty good. I hate the stinkin' little varmints they get in everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I use "Cab Fresh" to try to keep them out. It smells kinda like peppermint and works pretty good. I hate the stinkin' little varmints they get in everywhere. 

might be something to that. A lot of animals hate peppermint. I put a tiny drop on pets' skin near wounds, and they won't lick them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coulda been diesel, that stinks worse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to get off color BUT:

Our truck driver had an empty refer on a return from the west coast.  He found a refer load at a Tex Med school in El Paso going to Miami.  Looked good so we took it.  Turned out to be embalmed human remains destined for a medical school in the Caribbean. Not too ripe but not prime either. After 3 days of travel load got to Miami off loaded and driver returned trailer to yard in Pensacola, where it sat in the Fl sun for a few weeks.  The trailer was so stinky that the produce broker refused to load it,  so had to get another trailer for the load. Trailer sat in the corner of the lot and could be smelled anytime the doors were opened.  Yard people tried everything to make the trailer usable to no avail.  Until someone suggested ground coffee,  pounds of ground coffee in the floor for days on end and and the odor was diminished to the point where they thought it was usable.  BUT every time the trailer was used  someone would question the odor.  The trailer continued to reek (always leave vents and doors cracked) and eventually was sold as a low-hour-mileage refer with good refrigeration.

Stay out of the refer trucking business and watch what you haul!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, oleman said:

I don't want to get off color BUT:

Our truck driver had an empty refer on a return from the west coast.  He found a refer load at a Tex Med school in El Paso going to Miami.  Looked good so we took it.  Turned out to be embalmed human remains destined for a medical school in the Caribbean. Not too ripe but not prime either. After 3 days of travel load got to Miami off loaded and driver returned trailer to yard in Pensacola, where it sat in the Fl sun for a few weeks.  The trailer was so stinky that the produce broker refused to load it,  so had to get another trailer for the load. Trailer sat in the corner of the lot and could be smelled anytime the doors were opened.  Yard people tried everything to make the trailer usable to no avail.  Until someone suggested ground coffee,  pounds of ground coffee in the floor for days on end and and the odor was diminished to the point where they thought it was usable.  BUT every time the trailer was used  someone would question the odor.  The trailer continued to reek (always leave vents and doors cracked) and eventually was sold as a low-hour-mileage refer with good refrigeration.

Stay out of the refer trucking business and watch what you haul!

image.png.d1b4cc839f55a150606bb842de8998b6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...