Sledgehammer

The baby rolling basket

My Tiller has one of those!  Works pretty well no more than I have used it! 

Nice work! 

11141750_10205762539316620_1074715796267753130_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, new guy said:

Hand powered hydraulic jack pumping up hyd cylinders on something like the lift assist on a 3pt mounted planter?(smaller scale of course). Would be some added weight?

Thats the picture in my mind...

I had that same thought or just put spindles and small tires on top and flip it upside down for road travel

2 hours ago, oleman said:

Don't want to second guess a real builder BUT why not build it as a 3 point attachment.  Also I have found that a rotary hoe is now so out of vogue that they sell for very little. I used a 3-point,  12' one behind our 464 tractor to de-clot a pasture I had ripped up.  We also used stalk cutters (mule pulled) in the 50's to clear away cotton, tobacco, and corn stalks. Cut raked and burned for field prep and above all insect control!!, before chemicals.

The reason I went drawn vs 3pt was because I wanted to have the option of pulling it with an ATV or utv. I have a horse drawn rotary hoe I have used in the past. 

I agree two small axles on the ends with even wheel barrel tires flip over and your down the road to new and multiple choices of beverages for services rendered. 

JMT  John

18 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I had that same thought or just put spindles and small tires on top and flip it upside down for road travel

That's how my crows foot basket is set up.  They used it in the 70s(?) behind a four bottom plow to break up the clods.  Now I pull it behind my quack digger/field cultivator.

I pulled the transport gizmo off because the wheels were junk, but I will get some pics if you need them.

• Thanks 1

Decided to go with black basket, 2150 red frame, and 935 white hitch and weight.  

(Primer frame in pic)

EC6C21A4-85F6-4B11-A13A-319E81F29011.jpeg

817CBD4D-218B-4369-B942-B8C3C0ABBEB0.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, Sledgehammer said:

Great minds think alike!!

The humidity may leave the paint a little dull but this is to be used so it’s ok  

2730D007-6968-44CC-A620-DD07D41A4F39.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally got dry enough (barely) to turn dirt in the garden.  I needed the weight for sure. This was freshly worked and a little heavy. It leveled nicely and cleaned up the tire tracks from the 140. I’m going to call it a success. 

ACD2559E-70BA-47F4-BFA3-6CF95AFE6192.jpeg

29632555-D86B-4038-9E9A-A35862CF1C2F.jpeg

• Like 5

The hitch on the 140 looks great too!!! 👍🏻👍🏻

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alan Dinan said:

The hitch on the 140 looks great too!!! 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks. That’s the drawbar I build for the 3pt. Also works well spotting car trailer and things like that. 

Hammer----

May be that you want to paint some white pin stripes on the frame-----and red stripes on the weight??

That way Tony (in California) wouldn't be embarrassed to borrow it to use in his garden!!!!🤣😎

So funny to me. I don't ever remember seeing paint on an early style stalk chopper.  I think alot of them were "left overs" from the mule days. But then again------times sure change (we are no longer living in the 1940's!!!)😁

Looks great.👍

DD

• Haha 1

Nice.

For transport you could put a 3 pt hookup on the back or wheels on top and flip it over for travel. Thx-Ace

I figured you pull it with that cherry 686! :)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

That way Tony (in California) wouldn't be embarrassed to borrow it to use in his garden!!!!

I love seeing that look but don’t let distance shots fool you, it isn’t perfect by any means. This is a rattle can paint job to keep the dirt and weather off of it. 

34 minutes ago, acem said:

For transport you could put a 3 pt hookup on the back or wheels on top and flip it over for travel. Thx-Ace

Ace,  I’ve thought about that a lot and just decided to leave as-is for now. I can move it by hand and if I remove the weight, 2 guys could load into a pickup. (Otherwise it would take a couple BIG guys 😊). 

19 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I figured you pull it with that cherry 686! :)

I made the clevis smaller than the 686 drawbar for a reason. I didn’t want it getting put on something larger and risk getting torn up. Besides, the 686 was on the 8’ 3pt disc.  It was the first time I paired those two together. That disc needs about 2000lbs of weight on top to do a good job....  686 didn’t know the disc was there. I did not get any pics of the 6’ field cultivator on the 140 but it followed the disc last night.  

I’ve been on the lookout for a cheap 14’ disc for the 686. The garden is tucked into a corner with fence on two sides so trailing equipment of any size doesn’t work well.  The neighbor has a 12’ 45 vibrashank that is 3pt.  I think that might be a little bit of a load but would like it for the 686. I’ve never known him to use it in my lifetime and have asked him for “first shot” at it if he decides to sell.

3C49FB20-A35B-42FB-BF11-9424BE272145.jpeg

60B3D7B2-5EB3-45F0-B686-EC2D4CAE21C2.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

60B3D7B2-5EB3-45F0-B686-EC2D4CAE21C2.jpeg

I know it’s been wet in our area this spring and now it looks like you have the proper horsepower to weight ratio to air out some ground! If you advertised you might get more custom work than you can handle!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cool1566 said:

I know it’s been wet in our area this spring and now it looks like you have the proper horsepower to weight ratio to air out some ground! If you advertised you might get more custom work than you can handle!

I had 4” of rain last Wed/Thurs. The garden was beat down and very hard. There are still farmers here who have done no field work or planting due to the wet weather. I hope to let it air out today and see what happens. Big rain chances the next 4-5 days starting tonight. This ground is soured and needs to be aired out for sure. 

It’s been a spring to forget for sure. 

• Like 1