Sign in to follow this  
seant

Mv 404, 446

Hey guys, without dragging in the diesels, im looking for some general feedback on the MV motors. I have 1 that i believe is an mv 404 that was professonally rebuilt within the last couple thousand miles, wondering if they are generally something to stay away from or not to bad. I have heard alot of bad about them. I know they arnt like a sv motor but why? Ive heard the eat cam gears? Iv attached a photo if someone can help id more deffinately 404 or 446, and which carb it is. Thanks!

20190524_171057.jpg

We bought a 446 new in '78 and majored it about 20 years ago. It always ran very well except it blew oil all over the place. It was like the PCV couldn't keep up with the blow-by but like I said , it was running good. My Dad wanted it overhauled only because he was tired of the motor always being so filthy.  Didn't leak a drop for many years after that;  today the engine looks about as greasy as yours does,  which ain't much. I like it. It gets about 4 MPG in a tandem, but it had enough power to do the job.  The only thing I really hated about it was that miserable Holley List 1950 governor carburetor. Today I'm the only one who drives it, so I put on a non-governor 1850, which I think may be a 4160. A difference of night and day: cleaner idle, slightly better mileage, and it pulls better from low revs when going around a corner and I'm too lazy to downshift. Don't really know what caused the motor problem; it started huffing blow-by soon after the warantee expired, we just kept running it. We had a terrible sludge problem with Pennzoil in the '70s, but after the overhaul we started getting oil from Union 76 and didn't lose any more motors.

Thank you binderoid, did you ever have any distributer issues? Ive read about a lot. Also would you be able to tell me where your washer fluid tubing runs? Mine has been removed and i am trying to reinstall but cannot find a good route or the connection port. 

We changed the ignition module once in all these years, but other than that no problems.  The distributor (Holley)  will tolerate no moisture. If you blow a top hose and soak the motor, you'll not be going anywhere for a long while. The best way to start it is with ether. Take a full can and spray the entire contents all over the wires, the module, and the distributor. Then unclip the cap and let everything dry for about 20 min. Didn't happen too often, but a sudden temperature change in rainy weather made the engine sweaty and it wouldn't start. I'll check that washer tubing tomorrow.

This distributor also controlled the governor in the carburetor. Since I don't have a governor  any more ,  I'm going top see if a GM unit will fit in there and try to get shed of that Holley and it's idiosyncrasies. Besides, those modules aren't going to be available forever.

I couldn't find a 446 module 20 years ago!

On 6/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, R Pope said:

I couldn't find a 446 module 20 years ago!

I may be changing that distributor sooner than I anticipated.

My dad ran an 81 S1754?, S series nonetheless, tilt and load single axle, it had a 404 in it which ran for about 15 years, then a 446 for another 10 years that is still in, truck has been off the road for about 5 years now, we had good luck with them, we had to weld and eventually replace the exhaust manifolds because of cracking