Delta Dirt

Arkansas River flooding

16 hours ago, acem said:

Checking the water in the rice field is hard work. My wife is staying hydrated with a rum and coke. We have about eight foot of water here.

tmp_6412-Photo0021-11003462234.jpg

Acem----

What a leisurely life style!!!!!ūüėŹūü§†¬†¬†

Glad to see you can keep your sense of humor and have a laugh.  I have always said that:  sometimes if we don't laugh------we might want to cry!!!!

Did the missus allow you to carry your shovel to the rice field???

Disaster or what have you-------those pictures are very scenic.

Keep us posted-----Good Luck.

DD

• Like 1

In looking at the post with the sandbag operation going on-------made me think of all of the emergency expenses associated with this year's floods.  (nationwide)

And--------then we have all of the clean up and infrastructure repairs needed after the fact.

And-------then damage to farms and buildings;  in addition to the loss of revenue from the farm and business community.

Food for thought--------on the flip side there will be alot of repair and reconstruction projects for anyone in the construction related industry.

Some of you young guns might want to be thinking about that.

DD

• Like 1

We went out again today but there was no wind today and it was hot. My wife sailed for a while then we motored back to theshop.  I dropped her off and picked up some friends and motored around instead.  we toured the bottoms and surveyed the floodwater while enjoying adult beverages. Then we loaded the sailboat on the  trailer and pulled it out with the 4366. I got pics I will post.

The water is dropping and I will soon have lots of work to do. Nowthere's not much I can do so instead of worrying I am making plans on what to do and having fun.

I realize that if I can't get a rice crop in I will probably have to get a day job.

Thx-Ace

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acem said:

I realize that if I can't get a rice crop in I will probably have to get a day job.

Thx-Ace

Happens to the best of us.You'll get past it one way or another.

• Like 1

Floods suck, it could always be worse......livestock in a flood is horrible BTDT.......atleast the old man had a long standing rule of never put livestock down in the floodplain here, so it was never our own, but others took refuge here until the water went down.

Floods suck, it could always be worse......livestock in a flood is horrible BTDT.......atleast the old man had a long standing rule of never put livestock down in the floodplain here, so it was never our own, but others took refuge here until the water went down.

The  water is dropping fast. I will check the first rice to be unflooded today. I'll get pics and post them. Thx-Ace

That's what I noticed today at port of catoosa. Has to be 20 to 30 feet below where it was friday

i guess it's been 35 years or so ago, when i in a boat towed my younger brother over a portion of my field¬† where a normally dry creek goes through it, he was on water skies.¬† ūüôā¬† ¬†normally this area makes the best sorghum.

The water has dropped 8 ft in 3 days. Here are some pics. It is a dirty muddy mess.

tmp_4744-Photo0049-1771032157.jpg

tmp_4744-Photo0045-1-342987202.jpg

My first rice field is mostly unflooded. It looks like the rice will be ok after being underwater for a week  and a half. The plants are stretched ( by reaching for the top of the water)  but should recover. Here are some pics. Thx-Ace

tmp_4744-Photo00401206526988.jpg

tmp_4744-Photo0043-1-1505998359.jpg

I water seeded some rice into the receding floodwater. Hopefully I will finish tomorrow.  I'll try to post some pics later. It's crazy how fast the floodwater rose and fell. It all came from Kansas and oklahoma.

Delta  dirt, we are passing along alot of water. I'm glad to be rid of it but I hope it doesn't cause you any problems. I read it may cause the morganza spillway to be opened. We had over 500,000 cf flow for several days. Flood stage is 70,000 cfs at ozark lock and dam. Best of luck.

Thx-Ace

Ace----

We are expecting a rise------but I don't think any of the experts really knows exactly how much is coming.  Seems like the entire Mississippi River basin has been flooded at one time or another this spring-------and most of the soil is saturated to the point that there is very little room for absorption;  so the River stages are harder and harder to predict.

Our major concern in the Greenville/ Arkansas City area is saturated Levees and soils from the Mississippi being above flood stage for such an extended period of time.

The south Delta from Rolling Fork to Vicksburg is under a major flood from backwater from the Mississippi and Yazoo Rivers.  Any rise on the Mississippi will further complicate the problems down that way.

Rolling Fork is approximately 30 miles south and 15-18 ft lower elevation than our local elevation here at Avon.

Based on my 76 yrs of experience-------I have seen water run North, South, East and West;  but it always runs downhill!!!

Have posted this map of the Mississippi River Basin numerous times before-----but here it is again for anybody that is interested in taking a look.

mississippi_watershed_map_1.jpg.39093b564da6ffbda79816bf565730c2.jpg.03b75787eecbd563685925ff9db46acd.jpg

No substitute for drainage and elevation wherever you are.

You may have a big plus going for you with the "stretched rice".¬† ¬†I can see the label on the box now:¬† "Uncle Ace's Double Extra Long Grain Rice"!!!!!ūü§†

Have heard of the "stretched" situation before------but never have seen it in person.

DD

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

south Delta from Rolling Fork to Vicksburg

You sure mentioned many of the places I've been back when Dudley Johnston/"Buck" Rogers had their dusting operation at the airport in Rolling Fork.  Even earlier was that T-bird flight trraining AFB at Greenville.  

Grenada, the gin at Rolling Fork, YaZoo, flying the Bell P-63 King Cobra at Rolling Fork, it all brings back memories.

best, randy

I heard last night they were forced to open the flood gates at Truman and Lake of the Ozarks, They predict a 4' rise on the Osage river, not sure what that will do to the already swollen Missouri.

• Sad 1

Here is a pic of my neighbors best corn, the rest is gone like in the second pic. his best corn had two feet of water for over a week, I doubt it makes much corn. Before the flood it was layed bye and set for 250 bu.

tmp_5784-Photo0051138357729.jpg

tmp_5784-Photo0054-11444444762.jpg

• Sad 1

My second ricefield is unflooded and I think it will be ok as well.

I am water seeding my third rice field. It's not going well. Normally rice is water seeded with a crop duster but an airplane is hard to get in my area so I do it with a tractor. In the past I have had good luck with my 1066 dualled up but this year the ground is softer than normal because of the muddy harvest, wet winter and spring, flood, etc. It's just not going well.

Here are a couple pics taken shortly before I found a spot the combine walowed out last fall. I had to pull it out with the 4366.

There is alot of silt everywhere I guess the farmers in Oklahoma and kansas don't need their soil. My whole farm is dirt from oklahoma and kansas.

Thx-Ace

tmp_5784-Photo0055-1-2023666400.jpg

tmp_5784-Photo0058-1-2142439583.jpg