Delta Dirt

Arkansas River flooding

Been watching the news reports on the Arkansas River flooding in Tulsa, Fort Smith area------moving down stream.

Looks like lots of water coming down the Arkansas------will be giving the Mississippi a rise from Arkansas City southward.

How are you Acem???   Anybody else along the Arkansas???

This year gives true meaning to the old Morton salt quote:  "when it rains-----it pours"

DD

I've been tired, sore and wet for a week now but I'm ok.

They predicted a big flood so I started moving everything out of the  lower areas. Then the predicted crest just kept rising and rising. We were moving equipment and evacuating my shop for a week straight.

My shop had turned into a ramshackle storage building so it was back breaking work. Everything from a lathe, milling machine, welders, seed,household stuff, lumber, trash and all kinds of stuff. how did I accumulate all this crap??? I'm paying for it now.

As it turned out the river has crested  (we hope) about a foot below the floor level of my shop. The water touched the foundation of my shop and stopped.

My cropland is another story. My corn is a few feet under water but my rice is up to 9 ft under.  my rice has a chance of making it. The corn is done.

All the crops in my county are grown in the arkansas river bottoms and are flooded. Several levees have failed in surrounding areas and the water is running around dams.

I'll post some pics.

Thx-Ace

• Sad 6

5 minutes ago, acem said:

I've been tired, sore and wet for a week now but I'm ok.

They predicted a big flood so I started moving everything out of the  lower areas. Then the predicted crest just kept rising and rising. We were moving equipment and evacuating my shop for a week straight.

My shop had turned into a ramshackle storage building so it was back breaking work. Everything from a lathe, milling machine, welders, seed,household stuff, lumber, trash and all kinds of stuff. how did I accumulate all this crap??? I'm paying for it now.

As it turned out the river has crested  (we hope) aboutique a foot below the floor level of my shop. The water touched the foundation of my shop and stopped.

My cropland is another story. My corn is a few feet under water but my rice is up to 9 ft under.  my rice has a chance of making it. The corn is done.

All the crops in my county are grown in the arkansas river bottoms and are flooded. Several levees have failed in surrounding areas and the water is running around dams.

I'll post some pics.

Thx-Ace

Glad to hear you're ok thoughts and prayers are with you 

• Like 1

Corn field with mt magazine in the background.

tmp_11444-Photo00061750810671.jpg

Rice field and wife.

tmp_11444-Photo0003-990906856.jpg

I am sorry and feel for you. I’ve had to move stuff out of the shop before. Tons of work and too many decisions of what to move and what to leave.  I am sorry to hear of your ordeal and I know what it’s like. 

I owe alot to the people who helped me, many friends and some strangers. My sister in law brought food to feed all of us while working. People can be great. Thx-Ace

• Like 6

Sorry for the news-------but glad to hear from you.  Sorta figured you were scrambling.  Hope you don't get a disconfiguration across your land from silting or washing-------never quite know what a flood is going to leave you with.

Maybe it will be just a "quick flush" on the rice--------and not a pro-longed flood.  

For those that are not familiar with growing rice--------the water is sometimes flushed across the field from levee to levee for germination of seed or just to provide a quick shot of moisture to the young plants.  (fill the first levee and cut------draining into the next levee pad while still pumping, etc.........just quickly rolling a quick flood and drain across the field)

Rice likes and needs water------but you can get too much water.

Good luck------keep us posted.

DD

When you travel over your fields in a boat, says it all. Glad to hear your alright and hope the water recedes as quick as it rose.

The Missouri river has been the same way for two weeks they predict a crest then more rain and a new higher crest. Here is picture of the river in some corps ground near columbia. They bought this ground up after the 95 flood.we are headed to Kansas city the middle daughter is in the state soccer championships.

20190531_123933.jpg

just saw pictures of where the levee broke. looked like some very high dollar homes are being flooded. got to be a mess. flood  insurance?

Luckily my house is safe. They are saying the water will be over my ground for at least two weeks. That's a bit much for the rice but it might make it. We will be taking our sailboat out and sailing our farm this weekend! Thx-Ace

6 hours ago, pt756 said:

just saw pictures of where the levee broke. looked like some very high dollar homes are being flooded. got to be a mess. flood  insurance?

So don’t take the Chevy to the levee because the levee’s not dry?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

The Missouri river has been the same way for two weeks they predict a crest then more rain and a new higher crest. Here is picture of the river in some corps ground near columbia. They bought this ground up after the 95 flood.we are headed to Kansas city the middle daughter is in the state soccer championships.

20190531_123933.jpg

I 70 running across the bottom west of Rocheport?

Makes me glad to live in boring old Saskatchewan. My heart goes out to all the people flooded out. It's all part of the process of replenishing the flood plain, but hard to have to experience it first hand. Hang in there, it will get better next year!

The levee downstream from dardanelle arkansas breached this morning. City officials are scrambling to set up a temporary levee around the city. I expect they will loose that battle. the hole in their levee temporarily dropped the water level about a foot here. It is expected to return to its previous level tomorrow.

We don't have a levee in our bottoms.

We are sailing in the deep  slackwater around our farm this weekend. y all are welcome to come on down!

Thx-Ace

The previous post didn't take so I reloaded it today...

We used our catalina  22 sailboat to scout the fields today. Plan to do the same tomorrow. When life gives you lemons make lemonade. Thx-Ace

• Like 2

Backing the boat into the water in a corn field  (high ground).

tmp_6412-Photo0016-1711194148.jpg

• Like 1

Checking the water in the rice field is hard work. My wife is staying hydrated with a rum and coke. We have about eight foot of water here.

tmp_6412-Photo0021-11003462234.jpg

• Like 1

I told my neighbor he shouldn't store his hay in my field.

tmp_14778-Photo0030-1-1711194148.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Acem it's funny that you said about the lemonade. I had thought about that expression when you originally mentioned the boat idea. 

Hopefully this odd weather will normalize enough to give everyone a break

• Like 2

Not sure how much it will help you but keystone dam is reducing flow at the spillway. Believe they are saying it will be down around 150 cu ft per second and maybe closer to 100. I don't remember the exact figures I was hearing on tulsa radio but I think It was up to a little over 300 for a week or better and the lake kept rising. Now they are releasing more than the lake is taking in and it's going back down. Up stream in Ponca city they were calling for evacuations cause kaw lake is flooded. Lots of homes are underwater but a lot more were saved.  Braggs Ok. is completely isolated from the rest of the world and the Only way in or out is by boat or rail.

In the last week or so we were seeing quarry equipment pulled up right next to the shoulder of the road on highway 266 east of the Tulsa airport. Trucks and trackhoes packed the driveways with more equipment lined up in the grass and nothing but water on both sides of the road. It was deep enough to where a d4 size dozer surfaced from the water last week. I just figured it was junk cause they didn't get it up to high ground but a few days later they drug it up closer to the drive with a trackhoe. Apparently it wasn't junk like I assumed and they just couldn't get it moved fast enough. 

The water is dropping upstream from me. If we don't get any more rain it may still get to dirt farm this summer. However they are predicting heavy rains this week. We got most of our important stuff out like Johnny we lost a hive to the flood. Thx-Ace

• Like 2

Here are some pics of a sandbaging operation at Atkins Arkansas. They are reinforcing the levee. Petit Jean mountain is in the background. Thx-Ace

tmp_5866-part0.1537358263.jpg

tmp_5866-part01627956709.jpg