Cooter

340 Diesel project

I recently bought a 504 diesel and the guy had a 340 diesel parts tractor that he made part of the deal.  I really didn't think anything about it until someone told me that they are pretty rare and made less than 100 340 Diesels, is that true?   I never really paid attention to those because we don't have any of that series in the collection, I never thought many 340's were made, period, but tractor data says they made over 12,000 of them.

The engine is stuck, it's missing some sheet metal pieces, missing the radiator, and needs a total restoration, BUT it didn't end up in shredder, so who knows.

I can't find out much about the engine, but to me it looks like a 282 with two cylinders missing.  Are the engines internally the same as the 282?  I know the obvious things, crank, cam, head, and block, but what about the rest, pistons, rods, bearings, injectors, valves, rockers, etc. 

This restoration is not high on the list, but it's kinda cute and I would think make a good hay raking tractor.

340 Diesel tag.jpg

340 Diesel.jpg

• Like 1

282 in a 560

236 in a 460

340 would be 2/3 of the 236??? 

My guess anyway

Bitty is correct.

archives is missing info for 1960 I'm coming up with roughly 1317 diesels 340 series out of that 599 were 340 row crop

I have both a farmall 340 diesel and a 340 utility diesel.

• Like 1

they make a nice little project

19K 340 of various versions,

scarce in that they would still be running, fortunately have never needed to open mine up

like an early 560 they were not fully thought out /developed $$,   same family as 282 but some internal parts have slight differences

188/504 is closer.

do not reuse rod bolts and dont run them flat out, like any 4 cyl diesel they are off balance  so much to need a balancer system which is weak and cause's more issues with the DA little needle bearings.

have heard of them with balancer removed...but extra balancing/blueprint could be required..?

and archives is quite lacking   they have provided a few extra items,but when I pointed out what was clearly missing and what it may look like they quit responding...  has to be several case's of mixed up years /sources, lost mis filed

The Farmall 340 diesel was a D-166.  Many consider it to be a 460 or 560 engine with two cylinders left out.  The bore and stroke on the 340 is 3 11/16" x 3 7/8", 460 is 3 11/16" x 3 11/16", and the 560 is 3 11/16" x 4.39".  Top of piston to center of wrist pin measurement on a 340 D is different than on a 560 D.  Don't ask me how I know as I learned the hard way from both an assembly and pocketbook standpoint.  The 340 gas were a C-135 engine with 6 volt while the diesels were 12 volt with similar battery location but completely different style battery boxes.  They are neat little tractors.  I felt like the seating position had the feel of sitting on a utility tractor so I added seat risers to mine.  It made a world of difference.

P1010004.JPG

P1010029.JPG

• Like 1

I really want a 340. I bought my wife a 240 to keep it from getting parted but told her she'd like a 340 better :D May be I can trade up one of these years. I passed on a 340 a few years ago and regret it. There was a 340 diesel out in Kansas a couple years ago. I probably should have bought it, but had too much on my plate as it was. Good luck on the project!

2 hours ago, WESnIL said:

They are neat little tractors.  I felt like the seating position had the feel of sitting on a utility tractor so I added seat risers to mine.  It made a world of difference.

Going to be doing the same on my 340 but taking it a step further I have all the factory parts to raise it roughly 6" floor boards, pedals, power steering and seat riser. Hoping to bring the operator (Me) up out of the hole between the fenders and give a better view of the job at hand

There is a   "Red Power"  340 thread on,  October 9 2018,  Coffee Shop,   Interesting Information,

Jim Droscha

further input....? experience

in looking thru two sets of '90s books they are showing (166-282) depending upon serial# there are different sleeves (large/small) and ONLY the 236 (460) uses a different piston the # 318377r2 can be used in ALL others.having valve cut outs.

I know from other manuals  the pin height had a slight difference  was the 318377r2 a running change to fit or have all the books been cross contaminated with "internet" truth......?