Sign in to follow this  
asj5007

Need Help - Confused on Farmall M Front Hubs

Gents/Ladies - my first post here and looking for help from the knowledge base in this forum community.  I'm working through a restoration on a ~51' Farmall M (Serial 257859) and in tossing on new front rims the new rim on the left front would not fit over the hub to bolt up.  Upon closer inspection at some point the hub had been re-welded where it broke out and the holes were not centered and the weld was interfering with getting the wheel to align concentrically with the hub.  SO, off to EBAY i go and ordered a new to me 8284 DA hub to match the opposite right front that I had which was in good shape.  Upon removal the 8284DA replacement hub did not fit.  Looking at the original that came off the tractor it does not have the male protrusion and is not as tall in offset as the replacement 8284DA hub that arrived.  I'm confused and can't find any other hubs that appear in the same configuration with the male hub protrusion removed.  Height difference in the attached photo shows the offset difference.  What type of hub assembly do I have here and is it special or unique as the right side hub is set up in the same fashion with the male protrusion missing?  I'm confused and this should be rather simple.  Is this hub setup normal for a ~51' M??

thanks in advance to any help the forum can offer.....Appreciate your time and consideration!!

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134 (1).jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

It's very odd that two IH parts would have the same revision designation with such obvious differences but you also have to keep in mind that it was the 1940's and there were no computers to keep track of such things. Oversights were certainly possible, and probably common.

The "protrusion" is part of the dust sealing system. It should slide into a cup on the axle. You can sort of see the cup in your second picture. I'd imagine the cup is stuffed with something for the hub you removed, like a felt ring or it may even be packed with crud that is preventing the protrusion from interfacing with the cup.

the older looking hub is how it must look do you have part of the old seal hanging on the spindle yet a picture off the spindle would help

Protrusion worn off in past or a defect from new.

Pics of spindle and casting numbers on the lower bolster......I’m relatively confident this is not from worn parts as both side wheel hubs are the same configuration and seem to fit to a manufacturer spec on the spindle.  I’m not sure what a normal M spindle should look like, again any help the forum can offer is greatly appreciated.

thanks again 

66C1EF89-BBCA-4527-A332-F22CB090E65E.jpeg

75DD1614-E455-41BA-BB68-1E7827216BB5.jpeg

3DF9865F-731F-4BD9-BA25-981723ACD60F.jpeg

987646F5-FCE6-494B-8276-11789A37E865.jpeg

The seal is still on the axle. Remove it and the new hub will fit. That protrusion fits into the outer cup.

I don't know how yours are so weird, but as you've found the "right" hub is the one you bought as a replacement.

Normal front bolster for a late M to 450 if that's a DD suffix on the casting number but works on any M. Metal piece on spindle over the seal is the seal wear ring that goes in the protrusion. Supposed to stay in hub  Had many of those DA hubs off and never saw one like the picture.  DB hubs with the same cast number are thicker at the rim bolt hole location. Dave

Thanks gents, I removed the old wear ring and wheel seal and sure enough the complete replacement hub fit without issue.  Appreciate the help!!

if in the future you'll want to remove those rims, you'll find if the nuts are on the outside the process will be much easier . but you'll want to cut some of that thread off. i would leave only 3/8 " exposed. a heavier nut would be better also.       Does anyone know what that vertical spelling is on the front bolster?  and what does it stand for (mean)?

2 minutes ago, Fred B said:

Does anyone know what that spelling is on the front bolster?  and what does it stand for (mean)?

foundry trade mark Belectromal