Sign in to follow this  
Wes W

Milk Can History

1 hour ago, Wes W said:

Loadstar,

That is a fine looking butter box in the photo as well! The "Canadian Pickers" might give you big $'s for that¬†ūüėČ

Wes

That is actually just the end panel from a box that I salvaged. Might have a complete box around here somewhere. People used them for various purposes before we knew they would become antiques. :-)

Bitty we had the ice house here too although I don't recall much about it. I know there was a pit under the wood floor that snow or ice was shoveled into in spring so there was a cool spot to store things in the days before freezers and fridges. This ice house was a neat little log building that I wish had survived. You can see it in the background of this old photo from the late 1950s. 

DG RG Ice House.jpg

• Like 3

I remember my father telling me when he was younger they used to cut ice on the river and store it in the ice house, then it was covered in sawdust.  I remember 40 some years ago we were expanding the cement slab in the barnyard, one place we were digging down the dirt and we found a bunch of sawdust just below the surface, I asked my father why there is so much sawdust here and he said this was where the old icehouse was. 

There used to be a pile of dairy farmers around here, they either shipped milk or cream, I remember being at the auction sales and people would be going crazy bidding on the milk cans, everyone wanted them for decorations! 

Back in 1991 my sister asked my father for a good milk can, he gave her the best one we had!  Little did he know that following Christmas he was getting the milk and back, my sister had an artist paint the farm and buildings on it, it was all handpainted from aerial photographs. 

When my parents opened their gift they could not believe what they received, for years they would show it off to the visitors!

8D6A6CCD-2A12-481A-A8C2-9D6ADED16994.jpeg

0FDDF00D-1A0F-4958-A885-2BA612B77F98.jpeg

0A9D82DF-A436-4C78-A9C2-55770BC87CFD.jpeg

• Like 4

I remember playing in the bottom of the ice house and it was always one of the cooler places on the farm as a kid. Maybe Dave Downs has seen the spring house at Jake Shelley's ? place on Worthington road. I had piano lessons there when I was young and I remember their spring house had a concrete path around the water flowing through it. I may be not remembering it correctly as it's getting close to 35 or more years ago. I thought that was used to keep something cool 

the building with the little JD was my farm"s ice house. it was built of chestnut lumber, with doors going up into the peak of the roof. I opened the front up to use it for machinery storage, and added the shed on the side for calves.

2003-01-20 12.31.57.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting.  We shipped cream in cans as well.  For us it was Tuesday mornings, we didn't have to ride the bus because we could ride to town with dad.  Freight truck picked up the cream in front of the IH dealer in town.  So began my facination with all things IH.  I got to be friends with the owners wife and she would save me 1 of each of the brochures when they got some new ones.  I still have them.  I would check out all the new pickups and sit on all the new tractors.  This would have been the 62 thru around 65 era.

• Like 1

This is Bittys wife writing this post

My grandfather Ward Ridge would load his wagon and head down the valley on the road . This was originally a team of horses and then later times it was a Model T Ford. He would deliver milk and put what was left on the train that used to run through Ralston and Trout Run down to Williamsport and up to New York . My Aunt Esther would go with him and try to prevent him from giving away the milk for free when people were needy. 

There are some milk bottles that say Ward Ridge Roaring Branch PA on them 

• Like 4

Wes ,back to cooking supper .I place a disposable pie plate upside down on the bottom then put as big of a ham in as will go,around it I fill with potatoes .On top of that I place a mesh bag from onions filled with baby carrots ,around that fill the whole outer ring with corn on cob .I think I put a layer of onions in next and finish with a layer of smokies . Sprinkle in some salt and add a bit of butter in top.last add a small litre of water and put the lid on .Place on a camp fire that is nicely burned down to red coals .Not in the fire but supported above .It will start to steam in 15-20 min and be cooked in 20 more .We did it at home once with 2 cans for a bigger get together but one can is enough to feed 12 or more at our Lions club supper when it is our groups turn and very popular .

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IKS said:

Wes ,back to cooking supper .I place a disposable pie plate upside down on the bottom then put as big of a ham in as will go,around it I fill with potatoes .On top of that I place a mesh bag from onions filled with baby carrots ,around that fill the whole outer ring with corn on cob .I think I put a layer of onions in next and finish with a layer of smokies . Sprinkle in some salt and add a bit of butter in top.last add a small litre of water and put the lid on .Place on a camp fire that is nicely burned down to red coals .Not in the fire but supported above .It will start to steam in 15-20 min and be cooked in 20 more .We did it at home once with 2 cans for a bigger get together but one can is enough to feed 12 or more at our Lions club supper when it is our groups turn and very popular .

IKS, That is one awesome idea! Not sure I want to put my nice painted can in the fire, but I am going to look for another one that would be suitable to try this recipe. A great old time country feast indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Wes

11 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Back in 1991 my sister asked my father for a good milk can, he gave her the best one we had!  Little did he know that following Christmas he was getting the milk and back, my sister had an artist paint the farm and buildings on it, it was all handpainted from aerial photographs. 

When my parents opened their gift they could not believe what they received, for years they would show it off to the visitors!

8D6A6CCD-2A12-481A-A8C2-9D6ADED16994.jpeg

0FDDF00D-1A0F-4958-A885-2BA612B77F98.jpeg

0A9D82DF-A436-4C78-A9C2-55770BC87CFD.jpeg

QC.Can.IH man, that is one beautiful painting and what a great personalized gift! I can understand why your parents would be happy to receive this.

Wes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would see if today’s find would fit here with milk can History. 

In my grandpas shop today I found this ‚Äúcrate‚ÄĚ or ‚Äúvase‚ÄĚ you might call it that I¬†wondered if it was for carrying cans/cartons.¬†Grandpa thought it may be for that also. The sides are wood, outter framing¬†and bottom are metal. It says on not sides¬†Watts-Hardy and 6-54 below it. The other writing says ‚ÄúCumberland Case Co, Chattanooga Tennessee‚ÄĚ Any idea on what it might have been it‚Äôs purpose?¬†

4141E915-C6B0-4EA9-A8D2-5D9D61BC7302.thumb.jpeg.6dc53f38d24a0ddf64cbe9c5ad67b9db.jpeg

AA136C09-B351-4D7C-9F72-B324856B4C3D.thumb.jpeg.2aff4f058bcdb7365d47fcd314dbfc19.jpeg

3687BA48-5A5F-40FD-B5A0-29F983820743.thumb.jpeg.468d6e2aaa08079ae7cfd8df3280c495.jpeg

339F5717-647C-435E-B63D-63B61F472641.thumb.jpeg.42ca88dc1d0174dbe8fef9d4ab412d22.jpeg

On 5/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, Loadstar said:

Bitty we had the ice house here too although I don't recall much about it.

"Ice house" was in town on the lakeshore in our case, but we had a cabinet in the "before REA electricity days" that we called the "ice box".

best, randy

5 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would see if today’s find would fit here with milk can History. 

In my grandpas shop today I found this ‚Äúcrate‚ÄĚ or ‚Äúvase‚ÄĚ you might call it that I¬†wondered if it was for carrying cans/cartons.¬†Grandpa thought it may be for that also. The sides are wood, outter framing¬†and bottom are metal. It says on not sides¬†Watts-HardÔĽŅyÔĽŅ and 6-54 below it. The other writing says ‚ÄúCumberland Case Co, Chattanooga Tennessee‚ÄĚ Any idea on what it might have been it‚Äôs purpose?¬†

4141E915-C6B0-4EA9-A8D2-5D9D61BC7302.thumb.jpeg.6dc53f38d24a0ddf64cbe9c5ad67b9db.jpeg

AA136C09-B351-4D7C-9F72-B324856B4C3D.thumb.jpeg.2aff4f058bcdb7365d47fcd314dbfc19.jpeg

3687BA48-5A5F-40FD-B5A0-29F983820743.thumb.jpeg.468d6e2aaa08079ae7cfd8df3280c495.jpeg

339F5717-647C-435E-B63D-63B61F472641.thumb.jpeg.42ca88dc1d0174dbe8fef9d4ab412d22.jpeg

that is a milk crate. probably for gallon glass bottles. sort of standard type of construction for the 40s and 50s. https://www.coloradohistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=LVT19730927-01.2.97&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN--------0-

• Thanks 1