Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

66 and 86 Series Radiator Caps

My 1066 seems to like to spit coolant out when slowing the engine down while working it and it gets a bit warm. I had the radiator out last winter for a cleaning but it still gets to 3/4 scale on the temp gauge when it's warm out on the field cultivator. 

I took the radiator cap off and tested it with my pressure tester, it opens at about 9 psi and then drops off to 7 and holds it. I have a new one and it tests at about 13 psi. On the cap it says 0.9 bar which converts to 13 psi. The old cap says .75 bar which is 10 psi.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the heavier cap on it. 

The early 66 series did not have a baffle above the radiator core, those tractors would push coolant out and there was a service bulletin about adding a expansion tank, which I  installed one and it fixed it, if you can see the core from looking in the top neck, a expansion tank would help      Steve

2 hours ago, 3588pfcred said:

The early 66 series did not have a baffle above the radiator core, those tractors would push coolant out and there was a service bulletin about adding a expansion tank, which I  installed one and it fixed it, if you can see the core from looking in the top neck, a expansion tank would help      Steve

It's an early one. 1971 model. And it's been on our farm since around 3000 hours so I know it's the original radiator.

I put several of those expansion tanks on the 66 series.  Also, the caps need to have the spring loaded atmospheric valve as many of the gravity style caps do not allow radiator to build pressure.  They just stay open to atmosphere and contribute to heating and burping problems.  

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Did it suddenly start doing this, or has it been doing it right along?

It's been doing it as long as I remember, maybe 10 years or better. It's a lot worse in temps over 80 degrees and a hard load. Once it gets to a certain level it stops. I had it full to the top of the core last week. I checked the level the next day and it took a gallon to fill it. 

what do the expansion tanks look like for the 66 series  and how do they fit 

I've seen a few on tractors. They fit behind the top grille where the headlights are mounted. 

Just found this older post on it. 

just for test purpose would  putting (tying) a plastic coke bottle  with the overflow hose stuck in it work.

• Like 1

If someone has a tank setup like  this laying around I guess I'd like to put one on my tractor. Would the radiator cap need to be changed to a recovery style cap. 

4 hours ago, pete23 said:

I put several of those expansion tanks on the 66 series.  Also, the caps need to have the spring loaded atmospheric valve as many of the gravity style caps do not allow radiator to build pressure.  They just stay open to atmosphere and contribute to heating and burping problems.  

Do you know what these tanks were on originally? A truck maybe? 

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Interesting. My 1086 does this as well 

on 86 series with AC the receiver dryer and hoses are in the way to use that particular tank

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Do you know what these tanks were on originally? A truck maybe? 

I believe they were used on IH trucks.   Any tank that will bolt on to the precleaner baffle should work.  There was a service bulletin with instructions as I remember. I think you got a new radiator cap with the kit, not sure though.  That would have been before  the 86 series came out and only on the early 66 series that we were having problems before added baffle in radiator. 

The first one I ran into, the boss had ordered a new radiator because customer said it leaked in lower corner.  Well, I just followed orders and replaced the radiator.  What was really happening was the early ones also had the short over flow hose along side of radiator so any leakage the fan would grab and pull into lower radiator.  IH then made the over flow hose go well down below the front frame.  

Like I said before, the radiator caps were also a problem as they didn't seal the atmospheric valve. The older that cap got, the worse it was as the valve would hang down so far it no way would seal.

The reason IH went to that style radiator cap was way back in the 706 etc, that long upper radiator hose would get soft with use and when you shut off tractor and it cooled off, the hose would suck together because the spring loaded atmospheric valve was stronger than the hose.  Didn't hurt anything but apparently people complained so IH came with a new cap.  

If you go around and check many IH tractors that are working, you will find many that are not under pressure because that valve doesn't move up and seal. I have grabbed many hoses over the years , no pressure in system.  Not good. I replaced the caps on a lot of 86 series tractors with spring loaded ones.  I am talking about the little disc in center of cap that lets air back into system when cooling down. 

Do you have any idea what series trucks the tank came from? I have a 1980 S series truck with a 404 gas engine and that tank is much too big to fit where it needs to. Possibly a Loadstar series? I know of a salvage yard that has a few IH trucks in it and may be able to look tomorrow. 

Also I suppose there should be a hose that goes from the cap to the bottom of the tank so it can siphon the coolant back out. 

This is on the S series. 

KIMG0298.thumb.JPG.3c0a6e73b09e6be3fcea2f10eb082cf8.JPG

This is the cap it has on it now. It has the disc in the center you are talking about, correct? 

KIMG0299.thumb.JPG.a2622f7bdb69c4069f987286e939b612.JPG

I thought it might have been a coolant reservoir for a Scout or a pickup

21 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I thought it might have been a coolant reservoir for a Scout or a pickup

Thanks, I found this photo on Scout Connection. Now at least I know where to start looking. The top cap needs to be modified though. Some of the ones on ebay or other places have the hose coming in the bottom, not 2 on top like on the picture on your post from before. 

Radiator Reservoir Tank

Image result for IH pickup recovery tank

15 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Do you have any idea what series trucks the tank came from? I have a 1980 S series truck with a 404 gas engine and that tank is much too big to fit where it needs to. Possibly a Loadstar series? I know of a salvage yard that has a few IH trucks in it and may be able to look tomorrow. 

Also I suppose there should be a hose that goes from the cap to the bottom of the tank so it can siphon the coolant back out. 

This is on the S series. 

KIMG0298.thumb.JPG.3c0a6e73b09e6be3fcea2f10eb082cf8.JPG

This is the cap it has on it now. It has the disc in the center you are talking about, correct? 

KIMG0299.thumb.JPG.a2622f7bdb69c4069f987286e939b612.JPG

I can't tell from your picture if that center disc valve is spring loaded or just tangling but  yes, that is what is called the atmospheric valve. Opens to atmosphere to let air  into equalize pressure when cooled down.  

On a closed system, normally what is used when an expansion tank is used, that valve opens and allows coolant to be drawn back into radiator on cool down.   If  you add a expansion tank and used the correct cap with the extra gasket sealing above the overflow exit you fill radiator to tippety top like all more modern cars, truck, tractors have been using for several years. 

With no expansion tank, you want to use a spring loaded center disc to avoid that pukeing. 

I don't know if you found a tank, Lyle but I mocked this up this morning with a Magnum overflow tank. A little tight.  Would need to drill new holes to mount to the baffle.

20190607_085018.jpg

13 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I don't know if you found a tank, Lyle but I mocked this up this morning with a Magnum overflow tank. A little tight.  Would need to drill new holes to mount to the baffle.

20190607_085018.jpg

Thanks, but I did find a couple of tanks off IH Scouts and Pickups. I put it on and haven't seen anything come out of the overflow yet.  I'm guessing it holds about a gallon and when I check the coolant the next day the radiator is full again, so apparently it's doing it's job. I should have done that years ago. I have a picture somewhere I'll try to post. 

Glad it worked out.  I had this project in the back of my mind, always looking for a solution as I was working in the yard. Saw a magnum tank.......