DirtBoyz07

Reliance Over haul kit quality

28 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I find the $300 difference from Genuine Deere to a aftermarket hard to believe...............I seem to remember the last 466 I had apart their was a considerable difference between the kits.  I think maxiforce went in that one, its still going fine............Actually maybe I should have used a reliance kit, because I tried to buy the tractor after it was back together, but it worked so good the owner gave up on that idea.

It is probably close. I always thought about 500 more but could be wrong. One thing reliance kits are preloaded sleeves if I remember so install shouldn’t have any thing to do with it. When I get our truck apart I will have to see what went wrong. 

14 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Ive been dealing with Reliance issues on a 1655 Oliver diesel i rebuilt for a buddy this winter. He bought the parts for me to put in it. Crap rings. That tractor has been giving me ulcers trying to get it right. I saw the Reliance boxes after he got them. And i thought (Oh S--- , Here we go ") But finding non Reliance parts for a Waukesha engine is pretty tough to do. 

Korves Oliver had a customer who they sold a kit to with a late 1650. In roughly 150 hrs it went to drinking oil, and terrible blowby. They opened it up and only thing could see was rings appeared overheated, and lost all tension. Reliance gave them a new oh kit under warranty. This time it lasted about 50 hrs. Same thing. They did have some local guy "rebuild" the pump, and they put new aftermarket pencil injectors in it. After all this, now they want me to look at pump and injectors. Injectors were ok, but were for a 1755/1855, which was a minor hole size difference. The pump did indeed have many issues, biggest one I found was the timing mark put on the new weight retainer was 4 pump degrees off, so 8 on engine. I did my thing on the pump, and they put it all back together with yet another reliance kit under warranty. Last I have heard it is still going strong. Not sure how long it's been used with the wet weather we're having in the midwest this spring! I feel the engine parts got the blame for a poor pump rebuild job, and the timing was so far off the nozzles just weren't spraying the fuel in the bowl, but over the top of the piston. 

38 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Abilene has a warrenty on that stuff don't they?  

This one looks like a parts or assembly issue, which since it was a short block, is still on Abilene. Could the rod be bent causing the pin to want to push out that side? Again, was already assembled. 

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

It is probably close. I always thought about 500 more but could be wrong. One thing reliance kits are preloaded sleeves if I remember so install shouldn’t have any thing to do with it. When I get our truck apart I will have to see what went wrong. 

They are preloaded.

We got a letter from reliance roughly a year ago stating that the pistons and rings are assembled in the sleeve for shipping only and that you are supposed to pull them apart clean and inspect/check clearances. Have seen many with the rings installed upside-down, gaps aligned.

35 minutes ago, Mighty1206 said:

We got a letter from reliance roughly a year ago stating that the pistons and rings are assembled in the sleeve for shipping only and that you are supposed to pull them apart clean and inspect/check clearances. Have seen many with the rings installed upside-down, gaps aligned.

I wonder how anyone in that company thinks that is a good idea to ship them assembled?

Travis

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

This is just darn sad when we have all done this for years with little or no trouble and now this is the stuff we have to deal with . You guys know how it works , oh you put it together wrong , didn't break it in correct , didn't use the correct breakin oil , the list goes on and on and then they only want to pay a few dollars a hour for us to fix there poor quality junk .

I used OEM kits for many years and also used Red Power overhaul kits and this is the honest truth , never had a problem , ever !!  Federal Mogal still makes our IH overhaul kits for the 400 series and im thinking I should try and contact them to see if they would start building kits for all this older stuff no matter what brand engine . 

Having to wonder if you have a good kit or bad kit sucks , I don't like doing stuff twice or more all on my nickel and your married to the job for life . I give my customers 1 year warranty if I overhaul an engine and today I wouldn't touch a motor unless I have OEM or Federal Mogal Kit . 

Danny 

If you want to rebuild a D-361 from an 806, do you go OEM? But then where is CaseIH getting their kits from??

56 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I wonder how anyone in that company thinks that is a good idea to ship them assembled?

Travis

I have know idea, That's just what we were told. 

That is what is nice about the jd kits preloaded and always no problems. Cat parts are even hung with a new rod. You just put the bearing in, but I did have a factory cat kit not have the c clip on rod pin moved over after a while and caused a issue but they warranted the parts.

Maxi force kits are good... Not a big fan of the "new" reliance. Anything JD we try and use Deere kits...

The last 3 John Deere 466 kits I have used have had federal mogul rod and main bearings and a Felpro head gasket.  I put a federal mogul head gasket set in a deere 466 a couple years ago and it seems to be working fine.  Gaskets looked to be good quality.  John Deere pistons come in the sleeves and it clearly states not to remove them before assembly only enough to assemble the rod.  I asked the service manager at our dealer about this and he claims it is to lessen the chances of a broken ring on assembly which apparently at one time was a big share of warranty claims.  

53 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

......  I asked the service manager at our dealer about this and he claims it is to lessen the chances of a broken ring on assembly which apparently at one time was a big share of warranty claims.  

I would imagine.... That's why I wonder what in the heck someone at Reliance is thinking???

Travis

Like Dale said , Caterpillar has one of the best setups I have used , rod is on the piston and it has a sleeve on the piston and the rings are installed , just install the bearing and drop it in the hole !! I have stood at the Cat foundery and watched them pour the Pistons , sleeves and do the final machining . It is unbelievable the quality these guys go through on there parts , and that would be why you don't hear about them having these kind of problems .

Im going to see if I can make some calls to Federal Mogal and talk to someone about these kits everyone needs .

Danny 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Like Dale said , Caterpillar has one of the best setups I have used , rod is on the piston and it has a sleeve on the piston and the rings are installed , just install the bearing and drop it in the hole !! I have stood at the Cat foundery and watched them pour the Pistons , sleeves and do the final machining . It is unbelievable the quality these guys go through on there parts , and that would be why you don't hear about them having these kind of problems .

Im going to see if I can make some calls to Federal Mogal and talk to someone about these kits everyone needs .

Danny 

Only problem I had is one missing a clip on a 3406 c.parts supplier said that is one in a million. unheard of for they said. 

I do pull the pistons to check the rings on cat liner packs. Only problem I've had from them is they didn't have a rod cap marked to match the rod and tried to charge me the core for it. They said I mixed them up when I put new liner packs in. Stopped in to look and cleared it up when I showed them grind marks on both that did match. 

Try having a German. Let’s see here should we go with reliance or reliance on my d 310? I don’t have the warm and fuzzy about this. I’m at about 40 hrs on a fresh overhaul with this crap, so far so good. Fingers crossed. I’m hoping someone good will pickup the kits again like federal mogule. My only other choice was arias the pond with bepco. Honestly I’m not sure which is better. To my knowledge my kit did NOT come preloaded. I had my machinist go over things with a fine tooth comb, and he was pleased with the arrangement of wrist pins/pistons etc. so now it comes down to will it last or not. Hey what the **** ive got so much money in that tractor what’s another few grand🤷‍♂️.  Head for the mountains and spend some more of my kids college funds. 😎

• Haha 1

We had similar piston issue 2 years ago when we overhauled a 1270 case with reliance junk. We figured we used a kit in 1370 with no trouble why not use again. Lesson learned. Block was gone through new counter bores machined deck the works. They did not stand behind it claimed our block was not right. So we put clevite kit in 2nd round still going strong.    

I see tennco owns Federal mogul and clevite now. I had real good luck with both of them. Hope quality staying the same I'm not a fan of all these companies merging. The bigger they get quality seems to suffer. Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, IHRedDrive said:

If you want to rebuild a D-361 from an 806, do you go OEM? But then where is CaseIH getting their kits from??

Maxi force don’t know if red power is still around

On 5/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, dale560 said:

Only problem I had is one missing a clip on a 3406 c.parts supplier said that is one in a million. unheard of for they said. 

I just talked to a guy that had a c15 drank oil from day one had to take a gallon per 240 gal of fuel other wise it was fine he was going through a gallon a 1000 miles finally got it warranty cat said they were having trouble with the piston sleeve assembly guy had owned truck since new he was told those were assembled in Mexico 

On 5/25/2019 at 10:55 PM, lance358436 said:

Maxforce is Reliance. That what I've be told by multiple sources.  

News to me my local supplier is normally reliance has to special order maxi force for me 

1 minute ago, Thesd5488 said:

News to me my local supplier is normally reliance has to special order maxi force for me 

If I'm wrong prove me.   Just what I've been finding.

Just now, lance358436 said:

If I'm wrong prove me.   Just what I've been finding.

Not saying your wrong just what I’ve been told maybe putting new name on their junk they can sell it

Just now, Thesd5488 said:

Not saying your wrong just what I’ve been told maybe putting new name on their junk they can sell it

Sorry. I'm not saying I'm right.  Maxxforce Pistons come out of Florida but I was also told Reliance comes out of Florida.  I have not done the internet searching or a bunch of calling to figure it out.