So the way the weather is shaping up around here at least and this years vacation plans i could be very well looking at 2nd week of june before i can even think about making any hay....rain every day or 2 and cool. I know troy and a few others are already making or have made some hay. How is it looking in your neck of the woods?

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

So the way the weather is shaping up around here at least and this years vacation plans i could be very well looking at 2nd week of june before i can even think about making any hay....rain every day or 2 and cool. I know troy and a few others are already making or have made some hay. How is it looking in your neck of the woods?

Looks like a lot of fun around here. :unsure:. Rain every 2 days. Today we might get to a high of 60, though looking outside i find that hard to believe. Cloudy, wet, nothing dries out.

We got lucky and finished our corn last Thursday night. We have 340 acres of beans to plant and looking at the forecast this week i doubt we turn a wheel. We have a bet going if we end up with 3 or 4 things going at once if the weather turns good all of a sudden. 1st cutting hay, sidedressing our early planted corn that is coming considering the weather and if it warms up like they say and the moisture we have will grow quick. Soybean planting will still probably be going on. Have 7 tractors around here and probably won't have enough to cover it all without unhooking stuff all the time.

• Sad 2

There are few if any existing alfalfa fields that made it through the winter in Western WI. It is just brown everywhere this spring. We have the same rain every other day and cold temps as it seems other parts of the midwest are having. It's not a good time to be sitting short on hay ground with the price of hay being up and the lack of a viable crop around here.

I usually try to cut a week or so after Memorial Day. I could use the lawn mower this year if I kept the same schedule.

We have friends that own a larger dairy and they had no viable alfalfa come back this spring. They ended up spraying everything and replanting so there will be no first crop of hay for them at all. They have been planting cover crops for the last 3 years or so on their silage corn and bean ground so they are going to let the cover crop grow and harvest that for forage. It won't make the best feed but better than nothing. I'm not sure how they do it with milk prices being what they are and they had a barn roof collapse last winter that killed almost 100 of their cows. Now they have to figure out a way to get by without any typical feed.

Jesse

• Sad 1

Not real good right now. The really good hay country south of Valentine is all under water. The good sub-irrigated sweet grass meadows dont' need that much rain to produce. And too much and they will not be able to get into them. In a wet year they can always hay higher up into the hills but it is not as good quality or quantity. BUT it is early and this is Nebraska and Mother Nature can shut off the tap over night, crank up the heat and the ball game changes. Rough rule of thumb is be in the hayfield by July 4th, that is a ways off yet. What we need now more than anything is warmer nights. The grass in the hills is just not coming yet because of the cold. Irrigated alfalfa is doing it's best but first cutting will be later. 

There running wide open here making hay have been the past two weeks I seen some corn this morning already four or five inches high seen some soybeans yesterday two or three inches high seen a lot of tobacco done set, it's been middle of the road with rain so everyone is taking advantage of it. We are finally catching up keeping the pasture down grass has been growing non-stop up until about a week ago

Looks good here if it dries up enough. Water standing and had another 3 inches since yesterday. Not gonna complain about rain though. Lot better than the drought we were in last year. Fed hay in late June last year. 

Hay was short here last year and this year isn’t much better. Like Sandhiller said we need warm nights. Plenty of moisture here just need warm weather and it will hopefully take off. Might be a good year to have silage equipment. That’s all I’ve got done so far. 

There has been about two days of field work this calendar year in my area. Hay is ready to cut but fields won’t hold a tractor up. No large scale hay or custom operations here but still....

A fair amount of baleage was put up here last week. Some dry too. I baled a little dry. Didn't yield that well. Plenty of moisture just need some sun. This moisture will help regrowth where I already put up hay though.

We are going to have a massive crop if we can get it off.  Got a new barn going up and should be finished in time to use it for hay storage.  Most everyone around us is making hay going into the Memorial Day weekend - the weather has been incredibly great for haymaking this week.  Our timothy still needs a couple more weeks before we can begin cutting.  Fingers crossed the weather will be good.

We are done with the mowing of the fields that are not too muddy to get in . Chopped from 7 this morning to 9 tonight but waiting between loads for more than usual as help is short.. I merged all but the last 90 acres. Hopefully the showers miss us. Volume was slightly down from average because of the excess moisture 

IMG_20190521_135503144.jpg

IMG_20190521_152704248_HDR.jpg

Been as good of a hay making may as we have had in years. Its a bit over ripe but i would guess well over half in my area is in a bale. And the next week looks really good for hay. About everyone is finished or getting really close with beans. A lot of chin high corn. I am getting close to having half my tobacco set. We are going to take off over the weekend probally set 20 acres next week. It hot and getting dry here. Tobacco could use some water for sure.

• Like 1

Hay fields are just greening up around here. It will be a month and half before any cutting, so too early to tell. But if we don't get et any moisture it will be a repeat of last years terrible hay yields

Went to check my one small field in back of farm. Have to cross two crick crossings to get there first one washed out . Tried to fill it in a bit with the little kubota utility and loader but everything was wet heavy mud. Gave up and went back to house to mow some of the rough areas son never seems to get and got cub muddy in a couple wet areas where water was running.. 6 to7 inches rain or more in last week..and it was muddy before. Was windy last 2 days and some sun which helped im sure. Starting tonight chance of rain again...we will see...

Had a shower over night and then it started to rain around noon . It was done trying within 15 minutes. We then finished it up. Light crop so far. Been entirely too wet. Finished with the 7240 limping along without 3, 4, 9, 10, 15 and 16 gears ....

Picture of the Red head being delivered to ride (or sleep) in the chopper

IMG_20190523_162230771.jpg