ole 815

That good feeling you get when you finally pitch it away!

Too wet to be in field so good day to head to scrap yard.  Man it feels good to throw some things in the pile!  Lol

Had 4 Handyman Jack's,  1 1/2  of them worked🤪

20190520_123616.jpg

• Like 4

We done or run to the scrapper , a couple weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

Too wet to be in field so good day to head to scrap yard.  Man it feels good to throw some things in the pile!  Lol

20190520_123616.jpg

What was wrong with the vise? 

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

What was wrong with the vise? 

Base broke off.  Was a crappy harbor freight  one. I wont miss it....

• Like 1

My curse was pallets, I had two stacks of maybe 50 pallets sitting next to my salt shed. Feed store quit taking them back. I just knew I could find a use for them. They were an eyesore, in the way, threatening to topple over. Yesterday I finally went in with the loader tractor and hauled them all to the burn pit. It sure does look nice not having to see them on the way up to the corrals.

12 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

My curse was pallets, I had two stacks of maybe 50 pallets sitting next to my salt shed. Feed store quit taking them back. I just knew I could find a use for them. They were an eyesore, in the way, threatening to topple over. Yesterday I finally went in with the loader tractor and hauled them all to the burn pit. It sure does look nice not having to see them on the way up to the corrals.

Company here buys them, some he won't take but usually 2-4.50 each then he repairs them and sells them.

Past few times I've been I come back with flat tires. I had two the last time I went and one the time before that.

43 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Company here buys them, some he won't take but usually 2-4.50 each then he repairs them and sells them.

Dang, I sure would have went with that. Have never heard anyone out here taking them. I thought about using them for blowout control, but after they break down I don't want all the little nails being left over to find a tire or cow hoof. 

3 hours ago, ole 815 said:

20190520_123616.jpg

Don't blame you for pitching those handyman jacks in the scrap pile they were dangerous I call them widowmakers I got several smashed fingers from them also worst jack ever made in my books

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Don't blame you for pitching those handyman jacks in the scrap pile they were dangerous I call them widowmakers I got several smashed fingers from them also worst jack ever made in my books

I agree 100%, but I have only ever seen ONE sell for less than new price at a farm sale....(It's in my shop):o

Mike

When I was a kid, a neighbor had one fail and broke his leg.  That same day the ones we had went to the dump.  I make a scrap run once a year.  Can't stand having unusable junk laying around.  I like to have about 10 nice pallets around and all the rest get burn't.  Now I have about 20 totes in the woods and don't won't to take the time to cut up the plastic tanks to recycle.  

jerry

It is a good feeling when some of that stuff leaves! Buddy of mine hooked me up with a role-off last summer. Filled it three times with old fence wire and other light scrap. It's good to clean-up. Going to get it again this year, sure I can fill it at least one more time, amazing how fast that pile built back up! I watch the metal market a little, would like to get rid of the heavy stuff some day but don't want to give it away.

But you might of fixed all that stuff one day 🤔. That’s my problem. Oh this just needs this or that. Eventually it gets purged out. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, sandhiller said:

Dang, I sure would have went with that. Have never heard anyone out here taking them. I thought about using them for blowout control, but after they break down I don't want all the little nails being left over to find a tire or cow hoof. 

Not only do people use them for blowouts but also straight up fence with them around here I also know of a guy that uses them for cattle racks on his utility trailer

I dunno, I’ve got 3, they are indispensable, they do require caution however. 

23 minutes ago, 88power said:

Not only do people use them for blowouts but also straight up fence with them around here I also know of a guy that uses them for cattle racks on his utility trailer

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I've still got a dozen or so in the barn and salt shed.  They're handy for keeping stuff up off the dirt floor. I get 3 or 4 new ones a month in the winter, just had bout 50 more than I needed. Would have gladly given them away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

I've still got a dozen or so in the barn and salt shed.  They're handy for keeping stuff up off the dirt floor. I get 3 or 4 new ones a month in the winter, just had bout 50 more than I needed. Would have gladly given them away.

I always thought the people that make hard wood floors out of them and put it up for walls is pretty slick. Seems like I can throw one away and three show up to take there place 😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I always called them suicide Jack's but there nice for pulling stuck rear wheel centers off axles like you said you gotta be careful

Those jacks have their place but need to be used with caution for sure. Always keep one in the Scout when off-roading.  There are a couple more in the shop. 

• Like 1

The joy of the purge is soon replaced by the pain of damn I could of used that now.  

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weapon said:

The joy of the purge is soon replaced by the pain of damn I could of used that now.  

John

That's almost always been my experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I studied on that for a while before I figured out what you meant. I was talking about the handyman jack.. I should have been more clear but I thought you had an expensive habit there. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I studied on that for a while before I figured out what you meant. I was talking about the handyman jack.. I should have been more clear but I thought you had an expensive habit there. 

LOL my mistake, was quoting 88 about pallets and put yours in by mistake😂. On the handyman jacks, got some old wore out ones including wooden handled that I would never use. I do have 2 good ones that I use to push, pull and lift. Like any tool be careful and pay attention to what I am doing and I get along just fine. They have their place. I keep them clean and lube before use.

They are definately dangerous,  but have their place.  When we moved my 30×45 shed from the neighbor's farm to ours, we had a jacking party.  Invited the neighbors over to raise the building off the skids.  Bet we had 40 handyman jacks in one location!