All the woodworkers on here, I have a question for you. 

I’m working on my house, 1886(?) Victorian, and I need millwork made. I have a foley/belsaw planner which I can have knives made and it should be able to make this stuff. 

Question; before I go to all the trouble with making this, do any of you know if this is a stock pattern somewhere?

Is the planner capable of making quality work or will I be disappointed?

Where do you get knives made?

Thanks.

8D71D6A3-04FD-4D87-95B2-1C145E9CDF36.jpeg

3BBC375F-7630-4DEE-9773-E0991C3D1ABE.jpeg

IMO you will require a good quality joiner/shaper and custom made cutters to equal the original trim.  The Public TV program "This Old House" once did lots of shows on restoring Victorians in your area.  On several occasions they had custom moldings done. You might try a lookup on their website for that data. 

• Like 1

Depending on the width of the center cove, you can duplicate that with three common router bits or  two router bits and a table saw.

Roundover bits on the edges, cove bit in the center, and 'V' bit along side the cove. You didn't give any dimensions, but the cove looks to be a bit wide.  You can use a tablesaw to cut the cove.

Or, you can spend the money for a planer knife.

7 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Depending on the width of the center cove, you can duplicate that with three common router bits or  two router bits and a table saw.

Roundover bits on the edges, cove bit in the center, and 'V' bit along side the cove. You didn't give any dimensions, but the cove looks to be a bit wide.  You can use a tablesaw to cut the cove.

Or, you can spend the money for a planer knife.

6341BB08-474C-4DF3-87CF-7F1FA95E1F01.thumb.jpeg.3bac55f112a9ae566a93437dae33bc17.jpegBED80062-3516-4C33-9827-95605A35D4C5.thumb.jpeg.229668c599f163717c6d9ed6bacf42b3.jpegBED80062-3516-4C33-9827-95605A35D4C5.thumb.jpeg.229668c599f163717c6d9ed6bacf42b3.jpeg79405289-CE66-419B-8AA8-50AFC619EBAE.thumb.jpeg.a061480a6684e017903214282f2d0b12.jpegBED80062-3516-4C33-9827-95605A35D4C5.thumb.jpeg.229668c599f163717c6d9ed6bacf42b3.jpeg

8A5650B1-8CBB-437A-87E3-D48AB5AFD349.jpeg

I think have the knife made if you can't find stock. I've done it with multiple passes on a router table but it was a simple pattern. Try a search, there may be someone already making that pattern.

You're doing it right. Keeping original rather than making do with a stock trim will be rewarding in the end.

Just now, New Englander said:

I think have the knife made if you can't find stock. I've done it with multiple passes on a router table but it was a simple pattern. Try a search, there may be someone already making that pattern.

You're doing it right. Keeping original rather than making do with a stock trim will be rewarding in the end.

This is the last bedroom to do and than the upstairs rooms will be done. 

Complete gut down to the studs, than we had to build the studs up to get back to original dimensions because they lathed and plastered not one layer but two🥵.

This room will become the master bedroom. We will have to replace the windows in this room. 

The floor isn’t as nice as it looks but it will do. My wife bought a rug to put down so we’ll just see the outermost edges of the floor. It’s so dry it soaked up 2 gallons of polyurethane, and raised some nasty splinters on the edges of the boards. It’s the only floor that did that, so I was surprised about it. Maybe I should have dampened it with some water before putting polyurethane down, but it’s got 3 coats on it now and I’m not going to do it all over.

The upstairs hallway is next and than maybe we’ll start in on the downstairs...if I still have any energy left.

F050A509-D815-400B-AFFD-113971434EEB.jpeg

51EC6275-A17F-4E13-8339-B74EBEE59FD5.jpeg

E1B08C58-6E6D-48E9-96C2-45EA0DE63EAD.jpeg

• Like 3

Your floor looks awesome! As for the trim, I bet it may still be available. Finding the right supplier and the exact profile may be the challenge. It would not be too difficult to make as stated. If you need quite a bit of it, then you may want to try to find a supplier. Last resort would be getting knives made,  unless you need a thousand feet. 

• Thanks 1

Nice looking floor!

I won't say it will be cheap but there are many sources for custom cutters. There are different quality levels available depending on how much you intend to make.

https://www.amanatool.com/products/shaper-cutters.html    One example.

• Thanks 1

Get in touch of these guys at Ridge Carbide tools. I have used them in the past to make custom knives to use in a molding head in my Delta HD Shaper. I milled all of the trim in my old farm house and the knives worked great. I bought a custom molding head from them that accepts serrated back knives and have been very happy with it. My knives are hi speed steel because I am not doing production work. I made all of my baseboard trim and also all window and door trim. Since my house did not have any fancy profiled trim and it was painted.  I just drew up a design we liked, sent them a full size profile drawing and they made me a couple of sets of knives. I milled all of my trim using red oak. If you can send them a exact profile of what you require the can make the knives. Here is a link to their site. good luck.

https://ridgecarbidetool.com/custom-tools/

• Thanks 1