Sign in to follow this  
dale560

How to remove a John Deere 8440 cyl head

This one was making us mad so we chained onto head and shook it till bolts broke and head popped off. Just kidding my buddy had a bad leak for a year and tractor won’t fit in his shop. He was a professional hoe operator before so he has one He wants to buy in yard. Came in pretty handy to pick head off and swing it of way

0F40E31D-A84E-41D0-82D3-D1ADEDB18457.jpeg

2A753A33-F487-4484-980D-CADE98A95175.jpeg

• Like 2

Would have been easier to access if you had done the 2wd conversion first. This is the one shown in another thread earlier today 

6D33A9C2-E8FD-4AB6-8215-9DC254E3B73F.jpeg

• Haha 4

I woulda traded the 8440 for a stieger. That being said glad your gonna get him up and runnin. Hope it works well for him going forward.

Grapple might be handy way to get-r-done 

;)

Use what you have available and use precautions accordingly 

10 minutes ago, bitty said:

Grapple might be handy way to get-r-done 

;)

Use what you have available and use precautions accordingly 

That is what I was thinking grab it with the thumb and shake. He has 5 other versatile 4 wds and a JD 8970 but uses this one on a blade. 

Give it enough ether you’ll blow that head off of it..  

You mean it hasn’t broken the crank yet.......

I see a 225 CAT. 3304 or 3208? Good machines.

We have a 235 , has a 3306 

6 hours ago, ST-470 said:

I see a 225 CAT. 3304 or 3208? Good machines.

3208 he is in a year long negotiations to buy it. Buddy ran hoe for 10 years placing rock in flooding road sides. He is good at running one

I thought that was SOP on those?  I use the hoe on a backhoe here.

Excavator is so handy for many things.  I use one all the time at work to remove and install mixer screws and augurs.  I have used it to change the hoist in a few dump trucks as well.  Just a blown head gasket?  I did a 4850 at work that broke a head bolt  on the number 5 cylinder last month.  We have had some counterbore issues on those 6466.  

• Haha 1

If it was an 86x0 you get more practice pulling the head off. The 466 was much less troublesome from what I've heard

2 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

Excavator is so handy for many things.  I use one all the time at work to remove and install mixer screws and augurs.  I have used it to change the hoist in a few dump trucks as well.  Just a blown head gasket?  I did a 4850 at work that broke a head bolt  on the number 5 cylinder last month.  We have had some counterbore issues on those 6466.  

The guy bought this out of Montana a couple years ago. Hasn’t used it for much other than about 30 hours of silage packing and pushing manure piles apart. Head gasket has been leaking for a while and head is worn from fire ring fluttering. He has another 466from a combine that he is taking head off to put on here.  I used to work on some 4850s and other jd mfwd for potato guy. He blew a head gasket one afternoon . I started about 9 pm and had the gasket swapped out by around 2 am for him.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

If it was an 86x0 you get more practice pulling the head off. The 466 was much less troublesome from what I've heard

Yes I have some practice changing heads and engines on 531 and 619s

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

The guy bought this out of Montana a couple years ago.

Hopefully it wasn't ours.  It lost the head gasket a week after we traded it off in the early 90s. 

6 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Hopefully it wasn't ours.  It lost the head gasket a week after we traded it off in the early 90s. 

He bought it about 4 years ago. It was an hour or so into Montana. 

I just saw an 8960 up in MT for $10k with "engine problems". Seemed like a good price, I see good 855 cummins for under $3-5k pretty often.

1 minute ago, ZachGrant said:

I just saw an 8960 up in MT for $10k with "engine problems". Seemed like a good price, I see good 855 cummins for under $3-5k pretty often.

The 8960 isn’t computer control so they are decent tractor.