MTO

Anyone can buy a saw

• Like 6

Some of those are funny.     A few I will hold my tongue 

I'm honestly surprised chain saws are still legal to sell in the world we live in now.   Or at least you don't have to have some kind of certification to buy one??  With as sue happy and blame everyone but the responsible party as we are I'm surprised Stihl or Echo, or whoever hasn't had to fight numerous wrongful death suites, much like some of the gun makers. 

Last year I cut some stuff up for my neighbor, who grew up in town.  He wanted to cut some more and I wasn't around so he goes and buys a saw, and promptly cut into the top of his foot with it.  When I heard what had happened and asked him about it, he said I made it look easy and he didn't really think it was that big of a deal.  In a way I took some blame for his accident as I didn't properly educate him on some saw safety, but I didn't know he was going to go get his own either.   He was out of commission for 8 weeks or so over the endeavor and I'm sure will deal with a lot of foot pain from now on. 

• Sad 2

Lotta compact cars in that video!

I’m amazed how stupid people can be...but even more amazed why so many people video themselves.

• Haha 1

On some of those the out come for the person sawing didn't look to good.....!

• Like 1

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I hope I'm not as dumb as those guys.

• Haha 1

Chainsaws and step leaders do not mix. Something about climbing a ladder with a running saw just screams no to me for some reason lol. 

My brother and nephew just attempted a tree removal job last weekend. They rented a 35 foot jlg lift and were all set to tackle the job. They got a few of them down safely but when it came time to do the big ones they couldn’t get high enough to top the trees so they backed out. 3 phase power line just across the street within striking distance so they didn’t want to mess with it. If I’d been closer I would’ve went and helped but they’re 4 hours away. 

I’ve had lots of people ask me over the years to fell trees close to buildings but I tell them the same thing every time hire someone that’s insured. I’ve felled enough trees in my time to know that they can do strange things even with all the preparation in the world. I’ll do my own or within my family but not for someone else.  There’s a reason the arborists charge what they do. Insurance is a big part of it I’m sure. 

I do get a kick out of some of those videos I’m sure some of them were hurt in the process though lol. 

• Like 2

wow, I would bet more than a few of those people went to the hospital.

Guy i used to work with did tree removal around DesMoines.  Bout 4 or 5 years ago Rented a lift. Couple other guys helping him. Got too close to power line. He lived for a week or so. Bad deal. 60ish a few years from retirement and moving to Colorado ....

• Sad 1

Some equipment deserves a lot of respect and total focus when operating.. in my mind a chainsaw is at the top of the list... an amazing tool in the right hands, lethal in the wrong hands .. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I’ve had lots of people ask me over the years to fell trees close to buildings but I tell them the same thing every time hire someone that’s insured. I’ve felled enough trees in my time to know that they can do strange things even with all the preparation in the world. I’ll do my own or within my family but not for someone else.  There’s a reason the arborists charge what they do. Insurance is a big part of it I’m sure. 

My cousin had an Ash tree by his garage and the power pole (last pole in the line) and his neighbor Andy was a logger and after knowing that he wanted the Ash dropped Andy dropped it for him one day when nobody was around. He took the stump and poked through it carving out the initials BH of my cousin. Unfortunately Andy was killed by a tree in the woods , four years later his dad had the same bad luck. 

I can completely understand not wanting to touch stuff like that with the liability issue being so severe

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Doug in NY said:

wow, I would bet more than a few of those people went to the hospital.

I’d say even possibly the morgue...

• Sad 1

Any one of the ones a person pulling the rope,what were they thinking oh they were not.

But professionals that have been at the business for years almost had trouble yesterday at the ranch my son lives on. Taking pieces with a bucket truck, tied there pickup truck to a bigger piece to swing it farther away from the house. Skidded the truck 20 feet, not as much weight as the limb. All got to the ground without hitting anything. To give a idea of the size of tree, a 12 foot piece set there big Kubota skid steer on it's nose packing it out of the yard.

• Confused 2

wife and I have a 5ac town block,           was in town doing some jobs and noticed someone cutting down rather tall eucalyptus trees,                    this chap had cut the tops off,     and starting on the limbs

so he is up there, no safety belt,no ropes, no safety rope on the chain saw and wearing  Worksafe approved thongs

didn't stay to watch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozfarm said:

wife and I have a 5ac town block,           was in town doing some jobs and noticed someone cutting down rather tall eucalyptus trees,                    this chap had cut the tops off,     and starting on the limbs

so he is up there, no safety belt,no ropes, no safety rope on the chain saw and wearing  Worksafe approved thongs

didn't stay to watch

..."she  will be right, Mate"

Crazy stuff in that video......of course, these days I can hardly pick up my old Stihl   76...never mind start it !!

Mike

Hmmm.... Maybe I should go out and buy a truckload of chainsaws to keep for sale on the black market once they’re outlawed. Lol. I already own a couple of Stihl saws. Very careful with them. I also don’t loan them out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Hmmm.... Maybe I should go out and buy a truckload of chainsaws to keep for sale on the black market once they’re outlawed. Lol. I already own a couple of Stihl saws. Very careful with them. I also don’t loan them out. 

yep!  I have never loaned out my saw.  As a general rule I don't loan out tools period.  I've done it a time or two, but my first response is no!  

Now that being said I'll come cut stuff up for you if I can as I don't want someone hurt like my neighbor was. 

• Like 1

Not going to say the folks in that video are dumb but many were ignorant of how to limb a tree, drop a tree, weight of wood and safe operating in general. Who knows? Some of those people may be doctors or aerospace engineers. Most of us don't have the knowledge to operate on the human body, and have the victim survive nor can we design a rocket.

Rick

Knowing your personal limits is pretty key in life.  There are a lot of things I’m good at, and there are things that I pay others to do.  Dumb or stupid doesn’t have much to do with it.  Ignorance or lack of situational awareness (common sense) can hurt. 

It just goes to prove what the Bandit said: "When you say something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are."

Wow......

Kinda bad but a neighbor here is an outright terror with a chain saw. Problem is this good old country boy really thinks he's good with one. He's had stitches from cutting himself at least 7 or 8 times I know of. Yet let him hear of someone hurting themselves with a saw and the first words out of his mouth will be "idiot didn't know what he was doing"!  Guy is just accident prone. Last time he cut himself a couple of years ago I went to a farm store and bought him a toy saw and told him he could only use that and only under adult supervision!

Like mudfly says. Knowing your personal limits is pretty key in life!

I can generally lay a tree right where I want it (had a good teacher) but if it's close to a building? I hire it done.

Rick

• Haha 1

only cut with a Farmall

100_1424.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superman said:

only cut with a Farmall

100_1424.JPG

Got any more pics of those 2 Farmalls? 

Proof of the statistic that most tree related accidents happen within 10 feet of the stump.

The sad truth is that those video clips represent less then 1% of property damage, injury and fatalities that occur annually .