Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Altman

2004 MXM 190 Buy or Pass?

I sold my CIH 7140 and bought I smaller NH TD5030 MFWD with TL810 loader. Kicking myself everyday for that. Long story short, I have an injury and row cropping after retirement is out of the question. But hay and cows are not. The NH doesn’t have enough power for hills and is severally lacking in weight. I’ve slid many a times last year down hill with the JD baler. Local dealer has a 2004 MXM 190 MFWD with 3300hrs. They sold it new and it has been extremely well taken care of. The owner has quit row crop operations and is selling on consignment. I’ve searched and found most have had electrical gremlins and transmission issues. Dealer is working on pulling the service history for me. But I’m assured it’s only had minor work recalling from memory. I’ll be looking at it in a couple days. I’d use it for baling and general ranch chores. Nothing real taxing at all. Should I give it a look over or pass? Any feedback is very much appreciated. Pics attached. 

176CAD9C-409D-43CD-B0B8-AEB293E1201F.jpeg

C412663C-8CD1-4F5F-97F6-8BE25F7F55F7.jpeg

The best way to decide whether to buy anything would be to lease it and see if you like it enough to want to buy it.

Too much cheap stuff on that series for me to recommend them, especially when there are more reliable choices out there. I had a TM120 which has less electronics on than the 175 and 190. 

Need a hitch controller for one right now and yep NLA (no longer available) CNH can't even find one at a dealer anywhere or a used one as of a 2 weeks ago. See if it has a CNH Reman injection pump on it, if it does I would be little skeered. 

Have them calibrate the trans or better yet show you how to do it, especially if ya buy it. 

We had a young fellow working for us back then that called that the model of xtreme misery.

My neighbor had one of those and it turned into a 7810 John Deere really fast !

Buddy has a used and abused MXM 130 an amazingly it keeps on ticking.  If it can survive on that operation, it will survive anywhere. I have driven this tractor recently.    So they are not all bad.  I have heard some horror stories about this series but my limited experience with them has been good.

I imagine MXMs can be good if you get all the defects out of them, but some serious defects may take forever to get rid of.