Michael83

475 574 674 hydraulic dip stick tube length

Would someone be so kind as to measure how long the hydraulic dip stick tube in the left foot well should be from the elbow at the transmission case up to the top. Both mine on the 475 and 674 have been bodged at some point and are no longer the correct length. The dip stick is fine, just not sure if the tubes are too short or long so I'm either under or overfilling the transmission!

Thanks in advance, 

Michael

Looks like they are still available through IH.  Like $30.  Why not just order new ones? 

Hi, I have a 1973 574, I measured from fitting that screwed to the elow, to the top of the tube, on the 574 it is 10 3/4"

Perfect, thanks Garlock.  I looked at buying one on ebay, but in the UK they are £50 ($70) each which is crazy money. Thankfully the ebay advert lists it's length as 270mm which matches your measurement perfectly - I've got plenty of stainless tubing the right size.  Attached an image of a new one for any future reference.  Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

New dipstick welded together to the correct length. Some 1/2" stainless tube from the scrap bin at work tig welded to the old gland and nut has done the trick. Can finally get the transmission fluid to the right level! Included a photo of how I stopped the transmission fluid leaking out whilst I did the job using a piece of old bicycle inner tube in case anyone has the same conundrum! I also used an old bolt in the bore to line up the nut and tube for welding to keep things straight. Cheers

IMG_20190606_215337.jpg

IMG_20190606_213900.jpg

IMG_20190606_214341.jpg

Great work. Always better to Payless for better. 

John

Michael

You may have heard of him but Dave Shaw is a very knowledgeable and helpful man. He runs tractorparts.co.uk

https://www.tractorparts.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Unfortunately when I asked he said he doesn't ship parts to USA etc. Apparently due to reasons of insurance liability.

He did say it may change in the future though.