What kind of cab is this?

First post here, have been lurking for a while, finally decided to join up. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about what kind of cab this is on my 856. It has doors and sides for it also, they are a plastic type material stretched over a wire frame. I have seen one other cab like it, on an 806 a couple of weeks ago.

910FD9DF-7EE1-48FD-8335-C10D4D62306D.jpeg

• Like 1

Curtis cab ? Just guessing but I think they made similar to put on compact tractors

• Like 1

There was one on our 856 when we got it. It didn't come with the doors or windows but it did have a set of IH-branded Windbreaker side curtains that went over the engine and funneled engine heat up into the cab area. Dad made doors and windows for it and used that tractor to spread in the winter for quite a few years.

The IH Windbreaker side curtains led me to believe it was an accessory IH offered. I've seen a lot of them on tractors of that era. This guy where the 856 came from had them on all of his tractors.

When he got the 5240 Maxxum we took the cab off. It's been rotting under the silo conveyor for probably 20 years now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RDH said:

I have been looking for one of those for my 544

It’s a nice cab. Shade in the summer and with the sides on in the winter it at least keeps the wind out. I do need to get the exhaust up above it though; about kills your ears with that little stubby muffler.

2 minutes ago, Deerfield said:

It’s a nice cab. Shade in the summer and with the sides on in the winter it at least keeps the wind out. I do need to get the exhaust up above it though; about kills your ears with that little stubby muffler.

I attribute any hearing damage I may have to that cab.

Nice 856 you have there

1 hour ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Nice 856 you have there

Thank you. It has done real well for me since I bought it a couple years ago to replace our 656 hydro. Spent its former life feeding bales and running a silo blower on a local dairy. Only problem to date (knock on wood) was earlier this spring when it sheared the rivets on the pressure plate hub. Split it and put a HD clutch kit in and had the flywheel turned. 

02B61719-2862-4719-95E5-F375D325CAE8.jpeg

• Like 1

it was offered by IH in addition to their windbreaker. I know I have a brochere with it advertised

• Thanks 1

We had a discussion back on April 16, 2014 about Koehn (pronounced cane) tractor cabs. Light tubing, maybe conduit frame, fiberglass tub for a roof, fabric sides, lexan flexible plastic windows that slid up into the roof. 

Lot of interest in economical cabs for use on tractors in winter back in the 1960's before factory cabs became normal.  Thing I remember most about the Koehn cab we had was how hard it made getting on/off the tractor.

Here’s a piccy of me when I was in high school back in 1971 when I worked for a farmer in our area who used IH equipment, aboard his fairly new at the time 1256. You can see it has that same / similar makeshift cab on it. It also had the removable vinyl side doors and back window curtain for mounting behind the seat. And he also had the IH wind break to cover the engine sides. My kid sister shot this pic with a little box camera and she didn’t center the tractor in the pic very well. I was chisel plowing in the vicinity of our home with a mounted IH 55 chisel plow that day and had driven the tractor home to have lunch and she took this pic in our driveway. This is the only pic I have of that 1256. Wish I would have thought to take a bunch of pics back then. Nuts. 

34EEA13C-1F7C-4546-8861-912CC47951BC.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rick G. said:

This is the only pic I have of that 1256. Wish I would have thought to take a bunch of pics back then. Nuts. 

Same here!  IF we got a picture, it was of all the tractors washed and waxed after the spring rush,  most likely still all dualed up.  But the cultivator sitting out ready to be mounted.  Or the tractor and combine sitting in the yard ready to back the combine in the shed.  Or the picker mounted on the M.  When you were working there was no time for takin' pictures.

The BTO I worked for traded two 4020's for a 4320 with ROPS cab with heat & air, and a NFE side console 4020-D.  They were delivered sometime on a Friday morning, by the time I got there after school the 4320 was hooked to the plow ready to go for me.  Had about 3 hours on the tach when I got there.  Had about 10 hrs when I called it a night, only time I ran that tractor when the AC worked.  And you have one more picture of your Boss's tractors than I have.