856 steering noises

Just got my 856 running good drove it to farm steering making wining noise.i don’t thing it was doing it when I test drove it. When I got it I drained milky fluid and changed filter practically no driving since then because of injection pump issues that are now fixed . This morning at idle steers pretty good but at 1800 steering completely stops you can’t turn steering wheel with out a lot of force what y’all think 

Still trying to find problem seems to be bled good fluid coming out around plug when you loosen it did see a lot of very small bubbles in oil after 5 minutes of running must be sucking air somewhere.its over full with hytran and new filter.

Does the TA still work? High and low and shifting between the two? The TA uses the same pump pressure to lock up the clutches so if TA works then the stearing problem should be after the pump. I'm no expert, that is just a guess. Hopefully some experts will chime in with better advice.

I can't think of any valve problem to cause your symptoms. And I can't hear or feel it to tell if it is air or cavitation. I think your pump is starving for oil. Do your aux valves and hitch work normal?

Yes they do it’s over full according to stick I thought about putting 5 more in picking up a gauge today to see if that’s tells me anything is there a pickup tube for that pump

No difference put gauge on where pressure switch goes 0 lbs took gauge off oil flowing out but I could stop it with my finger is it time to pull pump or is it something else 

Don't really know. If it steers at idle it tells me the pump is sufficent for pressure but losing it at rpm tells me pump can't get enough oil. The hitch and valves work ok so pickup tube and filter should be good. There is oring between TA and rear frame. Extra oil should cover that. That leaves the pump suction tube. So yes pull mcv and see if tube is in pump and seal undamaged.

17 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Don't really know. If it steers at idle it tells me the pump is sufficent for pressure but losing it at rpm tells me pump can't get enough oil. The hitch and valves work ok so pickup tube and filter should be good. There is oring between TA and rear frame. Extra oil should cover that. That leaves the pump suction tube. So yes pull mcv and see if tube is in pump and seal undamaged.

I am not sure what tube and seal you are talking about finding by pulling the MCV as the MCV pump does not use a suction tube. I suspect you are thinking about the hitch pump as that uses the seal and suction tube. If the tube was not installed into the pump all the way that could cause the problems that the OP is having. That can be checked by pulling the hydraulic filters and then the tin baffle behind the filter. Just be aware that if the suction tube is not started into the pump at all, pulling the filter cover will drain most of the rear end oil out the filter cavity.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, pirlbeck said:

I am not sure what tube and seal you are talking about finding by pulling the MCV as the MCV pump does not use a suction tube. I suspect you are thinking about the hitch pump as that uses the seal and suction tube. If the tube was not installed into the pump all the way that could cause the problems that the OP is having. That can be checked by pulling the hydraulic filters and then the tin baffle behind the filter. Just be aware that if the suction tube is not started into the pump at all, pulling the filter cover will drain most of the rear end oil out the filter cavity.

You are right my mistake. That tube would cause aux and hitch problems. There is a passage from filter to mcv that passes through oring between housings but I can't picture it from there.

Pulled mcv pump seems ok turn gear and oil shoots out replaced gaskets and orings then it wouldn’t prime neither would hitch pump that had been working previously so I pulled filter it’s got some stuff it like wet silicone not a lot but some also kind of slimy stuff on screen maybe 2 hours on filter and screen get new ones Monday also new gasket for cover learned a lot about what’s in there today thanks for comments always helpful 

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Had trouble with air in the MCV flow on my 856 after working on it last winter. The problem was a leaking hydraulic filter cover. 

Yea going to get new gasket when I changed it before I didn’t change gasket I thought if it wasn’t leaking on ground it was good but members say not always the  case

6 hours ago, jobee1066 said:

Key could still be sheared in the gear on the mcv.  I've seen them where you couldn't tell till you pulled the gear.  Put a load on the pump and the gear would slip.

A real posibility I didn't think of.

21 hours ago, snoshoe said:

You are right my mistake. That tube would cause aux and hitch problems. 

If the hitch pump suction tube was out of place it could cause the MCV pump to cavitate. I seems like problems in the filter circuit always show up worse in the MCV side. I would for sure be checking it when the oil was drained and I had the hydraulic filter out of it.

The fact that the steering works better at an idle vs hi RPM's makes me think it is more of a pump suction side problem then a pump pressure side problem.

34 minutes ago, pirlbeck said:

The fact that the steering works better at an idle vs hi RPM's makes me think it is more of a pump suction side problem then a pump pressure side problem.

I agree but I think he has already found his problem in the filter.

My 2 cents. 

With both pumps sucking oil through the same tube and filter if you have any significant restrictions in filter or any air sucking past tube oring/filter cover what can happen is the hitch pump will pull all the oil and starve the mcv pump.  The faster the rpm the more oil needs to flow through filter and the more the way bigger hitch pump will tend to starve the mcv.

I’ve seen a fairly clean filter cause enough restriction that when I pulled the 5/8” plug on mcv to bleed it there was a vacuum at that plug. 

With the poor condition of oil you drained out I would say you are in for a few filter changes until you get all the junk cleaned out of the system. 

Good luck.