Big Jon

696 trouble

Good evening gents. 

My old dad was out doing his thing the other day and had a bad noise develop in the tractor and lost all steering and hydraulic power. 

I pretty sure we have diagnosed it to the PTO input shaft as there is no PTO now and you can still hear that metallic crunchy noise when you put your foot on the clutch. 

How much grief in splitting these old girls, it has a front end loader on it that will need taking off and will have to be skull dragged back to the shed as well. Can't wait!  

45 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

Good evening gents. 

My old dad was out doing his thing the other day and had a bad noise develop in the tractor and lost all steering and hydraulic power. 

I pretty sure we have diagnosed it to the PTO input shaft as there is no PTO now and you can still hear that metallic crunchy noise when you put your foot on the clutch. 

How much grief in splitting these old girls, it has a front end loader on it that will need taking off and will have to be skull dragged back to the shed as well. Can't wait!  

Do you mean 966 or 666??

656?

26 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

696 is an Australian model. Basically a 766 with a German D310.

You got it man, built in the Geelong tractor factory, 1970.

With a good splitting stand on smooth, clean concrete it will not be too bad. On rough surface or dirt without a stand it will be extremely difficult and very dangerous. I've seen people split tractors with 5 inch X 5 inch X 5/16 inch thick angle iron and a floor jack. They took two pieces of the 5x5 angle iron and made a run way for the floor jack under the tractor. It worked but it was not safe or easy.

good luck and send us some pics.

I'll put a picture of the old girl this afternoon, she purrs like a kitten and is still an old work horse. Biggest problem is getting it back to the shed with no steering. Some tight spots to negotiate!  

Wow! That's a very unique tractor. What size tires are on the back? Is that a home made cab?

If your going to pull it with another tractor, you can connect the remote hydraulics of the tow tractor to the stearing cylinder and stearing it that way. I would be careful not to turn the wheeles all the way to the stop. Hydraulic pressure would spike when you turn the wheeles to the stop. And I don't think the steering circuit is rated for that high a pressure.

that looks like a roomy cab but I don't see a door.

Thanks Mark,i was wondering about that. 

The door is at the rear, the cab is a Gason tractor cab. Wild looking setup,always reckoned it looked like something off a travelling Gypsy wagon. 

Google Gason cabs, they were made down in Victoria I believe by some old wheat farmer who got sick of swallowing dust years ago before cabs were the in thing!  

❤️ 😍 Beautiful ! No harder to split than any other tractor, loader will need to come off if it’s in the way of the bell housing or has framework extending to the rear axle. It does sound like the iPTO shaft is cactus so you’ll need a new clutch as well as it drives off the back of the pressure plate. Inter dealer should have the parts if not Harvestaire do some 66 series bits.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, Neil's parts in Toowoomba have all the bits, I will start pulling the old girl down next week. Starts and runs. 

On 5/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, 696IH said:

Harvestaire do some 66 series bits.

Hi Andrew, where are these guys based, just got quoted $960 for a clutch kit, is this reasonable?  

Also any of you guys point me in the right direction for some schematic diagraims of the internals on these tractors?  Can't find anything on the net. 

Cheers. 

$960 seems right, Harvestaire is in Perth and I just looked a the latest catalogue and they quote $350 for the clutch plate and $600 for the pressure plate. They also have the iPTO shaft for $190 plus freight etc Neil’s or whomever quoted you is probably the best way to go.

The 696 is an Aussie 766 with factory TA delete and was derated down to 90hp. Any Geelong built 66 series book should give you enough info in the clutch, but if you get stuck I “think” I have a full service manual here I could probably scan the relevant pages and email them to you. I’ll have a look in the morning, well later this morning.... just got home off the airseeder...