1586 Jeff

436 Oil Filters

NAPA is showing 2 different oil filters for a 1586, P/N 1784 and P/N 1789.

The 1789 is longer and presumably has more filtration media.  Does anyone have any suggestions for or against either filter?

Someone on this forum said use only case IH filters because they have a check valve built in so the oil doesn't drain out when the engine is shut off. During start up the non OEM filters have to fill up with oil before the engine gets any.

When I was in parts there was only one 400 series oil filter A184775. The German diesels had two lengths. 398080R2-long and 3136046r93-short. And yes the the CaseIH/Fleetguard had an anti-drain back valve. The Wix also has one. At that time Baldwin, Hastings and Fram did not. Don't know about Napa. Never cut one of them apart. 

7 hours ago, MarkG said:

Someone on this forum said use only case IH filters because they have a check valve built in so the oil doesn't drain out when the engine is shut off. During start up the non OEM filters have to fill up with oil before the engine gets any.

The caseIH filters don't have check valves either they drain out completely after an hour

• Like 1

i didn't know the Case Ih filters didn't have them anymore , they dropped Fleet Guard and went to Donaldson a few years back . When they did that I started using all Fleetguard .  I get them from our local truck dealership and they give me there fleet pricing and I have to buy them in case lots unless it's a filter they stock .

Danny 

I don't think I've ever removed one that didn't appear to be mostly empty, after setting.,they hold some oil though I imagine.  

Use the 1789 that’s all I ever used. 

11 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

NAPA filters are made by WIX.

....to NAPA's specifications....Cut a wix filter and a napa filter apart, and you will find differences.

I still use Fleetgard filters, they have the anti-drainback valve, and as far as I know, CaseIH filters do, too...they are made by Donaldson the last I knew.

Donaldson and Fleetgard are both great filters.

Travis

The Wix site shows that their 51789 has the anti-drainback as well. I assume the Napa 1789 version would too but not sure.

55 minutes ago, Tedb6804 said:

The Wix site shows that their 51789 has the anti-drainback as well. I assume the Napa 1789 version would too but not sure.

Yes the napa and wix both have it

Don't ever use the 400 series filters on a German diesel like in an 886 had a customer do that once the 400 series has the bypass valve in the filter base the German diesel the bypass is in the filter it was a wrong combination in the winter it did not get oil quick enough and took a rod bearing out. Steve

I agree. Had a local dealer that would hand out the 400 series filter for all IH tractors it would thread on to-Bad thing to do. I've been out of the dealership for 11 years now and things change. When I was manager all CaseIH filter were made by Fleetguard. I ordered all the CaseIH branded and Fleetguard filters on the ship direct program from Fleetguard. Those filters defiantly had a drain back valve. If they don't anymore its because of cheap fiat. I now run Wix on all my tractors. When I made my filter cutaway display, Wix was close to if not equal to the Fleetguard filters,

Back in the day when 1466s were new IH not case IH used a longer filter on the 400 series engines the 300 series used the shorter one then came the consolidation of part numbers with caseIH and they dropped the longer one .  As far as the antidrainback valve and tube I cut a lot of filters apart the tubes are in all the brands of filters if they are for that application. and you can see the antidrainback flaps when you look at the base of the filter. But I have noticed that fleet guard filters are some of the worst for not retaining oil like they should way more dry ones than other brands their quality just is not there and I base this on checking several hundred filters a year.

ih

I never stocked/sold or cut apart a white fleetgaurd version of the A184775 filter so can't comment on those. Fleetguard built the A184775 to CaseIH specs. In the heyday I was selling 1800 of the A184775 a year and never had a complaint or warranty issue.  But that was then. I now use Wix in everything I own. Good filters. 

• Like 1

I decided to cut open a Case IH filter and a wix filter, I’ve only used fleetguard or a case IH filters for years and the wix filters were on a tractor that I bought last fall. 

The tractor with the wix filter was parked in the shed since last November, I didn’t start it this spring before draining the oil and removing the filters,  The other tractor with the case IH filters ran all winter and was hot when I did the oil change, after I remove the filters from the tractors I set them on a mesh to let them drain into my used oil barrel for a day or so. 

When I cut open the case IH filter there was very little oil inside of it, but when I cut open the wix filter it was pretty much full of oil.

Here is a picture of the filters, The wix is on the left.

13959F37-69F2-4186-ABEA-13998B4371AF.jpeg

E6391DD5-AFA1-4B04-B402-CC245444DC2B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m surprised nobody had mentioned the fact that if makes a difference whether or not the the filter has 15w-40, vs 30 wt. oil in it.........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

I decided to cut open a Case IH filter and a wix filter, I’ve only used fleetguard or a case IH filters for years and the wix filters were on a tractor that I bought last fall. 

The tractor with the wix filter was parked in the shed since last November, I didn’t start it this spring before draining the oil and removing the filters,  The other tractor with the case IH filters ran all winter and was hot when I did the oil change, after I remove the filters from the tractors I set them on a mesh to let them drain into my used oil barrel for a day or so. 

When I cut open the case IH filter there was very little oil inside of it, but when I cut open the wix filter it was pretty much full of oil.

Here is a picture of the filters, The wix is on the left.

13959F37-69F2-4186-ABEA-13998B4371AF.jpeg

E6391DD5-AFA1-4B04-B402-CC245444DC2B.jpeg

I've seen people cut filters with what looks like an over sized pipe cutter, but I've never seen anyone cut a filter like that. You use a band saw? Thanks for the hard work. I think I'll switch to Wix.

I know the Baldwin and Fleetguard filters have metal stand pipe tubes in them and the CNH (Donaldson) filter doesn't, but apparently they have a check valve. The pipe is much less likely to fail than the check valve.

We went Napa gold two years ago after cutting open oil filters from each.  Nearly half the price if one buys during Napa's sale periods.  cih engine oil are getting over the top expensive, too!  Thinking about switching to Rotella 30w ...about $30 less for a 5 gal bucket.  I never go more than 100 hrs on an oil change on IH engines.  Not trying to start an oil thread.

the Fleetgaurd lf 3316 I cut apart yesterday had a plastic standpipe 4 5/8 long I do not remember seeing a metal stand pipe in a LF3316 for a 400 series engine.

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I know the Baldwin and Fleetguard filters have metal stand pipe tubes in them and the CNH (Donaldson) filter doesn't, but apparently they have a check valve. The pipe is much less likely to fail than the check valve.

in it

You're right, it is plastic. Maybe the Baldwin I had cut the end off had the metal pipe. The Baldwin didn't look like such a bad filter to me.