Steve C.

Hey airplane guys - cool Gee Bee racer video

"...to get that sound, you gotta burn some gallons..."

• Like 1

Short-coupled, twitchy and overpowered. I certainly wouldn't have the stones to fly it but that guy makes it talk. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what the wing loading is on that!

The GeeBee Z was a purpose built  racing plane and the story is almost everyone that flew one was killed in it.

I was told once that there is only one real original GeeBee Z in existence and two or three  flying replicas.

One replica was used in the movie Rocketeer.

In case you didn't know or probably don't care, Lincoln Nebraska was a hot bed for pilots, airplane shows, learning to fly, manufacturing planes for the war, home of the arrow sport Bi-plane company and the place where Charles Lindberg learned to fly. 

Amelia Earhart was also a frequent visitor to Lincoln.

35 years ago I was given a collection of photo negatives from around 1923 to the mid forties.

They are 3 by 5  black and white what Were called Proofs back then. 

When I was sorting through them I came across several airplane related negatives that I had printed.

Several of women wing walkers, bi-planes, women skydivers etc...  ect...

This first one is a picture of a GeeBee  but its not a Z model. , you can clearly see the name GeeBee in the photo.

Standing in the front  holding a smoke is a man named Billy Wolff, a local Lincoln resident who had a Motorcycle shop in town.

I got the negatives from his Niece who was in a nursing home in Missouri at the time.

IMG_9184.thumb.jpg.183058bc8a0b9ab96d89c9e0ab6a7797.jpg

This second photo is one of my favorite prize possessions , Glad I have the original negatives.

This is Amelia Earhart walking out to an experimental AutoGyro with Fred Noonan.

Noonan was her navigator during her last flight before being reported missing in 1937.

This was taken at Arrow Airport in Lincoln Nebraska. 

IMG_9185.thumb.jpg.a844844b380793192abc57ed251257ca.jpg

• Like 1

Neat history 

• Thanks 1