rolling rice

acem

I have been rolling last years rice fields again to knock the ruts down.  Normally it is too dry by now but it won't quit raining.  If it don't dry up soon I will water seed my second rice field.  

Here is a pic of me on the 4366 rolling.

Thx-Ace

image1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, acem said:

I have been rolling last years rice fields again to knock the ruts down.  Normally it is too dry by now but it won't quit raining.  If it don't dry up soon I will water seed my second rice field.  

Thx-Ace

image1.jpeg

Looks a bit damp.....

Rick

That’s interesting. I don’t know anything about rice other than what it tastes like but I enjoy seeing things pertaining to different crops. Thanks. 

I would be interested in seeing more pics and hearing more on rice too. All I know about it is I like to eat it. Looks interesting. Do you have a few thousand feet of cable handy Incase you get stuck? Or is it when you get stuck not if. Lol

11 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I would be interested in seeing more pics and hearing more on rice too. All I know about it is I like to eat it. Looks interesting. Do you have a few thousand feet of cable handy Incase you get stuck? Or is it when you get stuck not if. Lol

LGP dozer with a winch?  Excavator?

"When the going gets tough-----the tough get going!!!!"

Been there-----done that Ace.

That looks to be a smooth roller??

We used to roll alot of rice fields with the snake killer plates welded onto the drum--------smooth out the ruts and bury the stubble into the soil.  But needed to do it earlier enough to get a few freezes so to mellow the soil out before spring.

I never did any water seeding.

This is an double unusual year.  Been raining like hel! here tonight.  Hard to tell the difference in rainwater, seepwater, backwater and floodwater------it's all wet!!!!

When dry------we used to drag a 24" pipe after working the field lightly with a field cultivator---------really smoothed and compacted everything down for a finished flat seeded.  I have seen alot of fields down this way that could use the "ol pipe treatment" this spring.  Didn't even have wheels on mine------just a cable hitch.  Loaned it to lots of the neighbors------I always told them to be sure and grease it regularly!!!!?

I first saw the pipe drag in cajun rice country of "sout Luzziana" years ago!!!

Post us some pictures on the water seeding.  Good luck.

DD

It's an old smooth roller made by eddins in stutgart. Its all I have. I should have done this over the winter but my 4366 was down and it took me to long to get it going again, I'm behind.

You rarely get stuck if the water is standing in the rice field. Rice and cane tires are a must. I have been stuck with r1 duals but a tractor with rice and cane singles pulled it out... the worst combination is one of each!

I'll post some more pics when I get to my computer at home.

Thx-Ace

Here is a pic from a few years ago.

I have pulled it with a 1066 wearing dual 18.4x38 rice and canes. It is a challenge but I can do it if there are no ruts. I would never let anyone else pull it with the 1066.

Thx-Ace

tmp_5743-Photo008460908613.jpg

7 hours ago, acem said:

Here is a pic from a few years ago.

I have pulled it with a 1066 wearing dual 18.4x38 rice and canes. It is a challenge but I can do it if there are no ruts. I would never let anyone else pull it with the 1066.

Thx-Ace

tmp_5743-Photo008460908613.jpg

Unfortunately the weather we've been getting this looks like our fields basically  do ........

I’d like to know who was the first farmer to say hey watch this....  and dump off in the swamp. I would of never thought it could be done. Ace, you must not be afraid of snakes. If I turn over a little ring neck I jump back 3’. I hate snakes. They make me cringe when I see them in the hay field. I only know one rice farmer and he tells me down there you never mess with a mans spade shovel. It’s like grandfathers pocket watch to them guys. Lol. It’s just what he said. 

I have a rice shovel that is over 30 years old.  The new ones aren't near as good.  It will need a new handle soon.

Snakes aren't that bad. You just gotta be meaner than they are.  They can tell.  I caught a snake today and threw it at my wife's dog.  She didn't see me do it but the dog sure did!

Here are some more pics from several years ago.  If you look close you can see a little snow in some of them.

I really need a bigger and better roller like Delta mentioned.  I am just trying to get by with what I have.  

Thx-Ace

IMGP6648.JPG

IMGP6735.JPG

IMGP6738.JPG

IMGP6739.JPG

Water leveling is stranger than rolling.  I have only seen pics and videos but would like to try it someday.  I might need a bigger tractor though...

In some countries they pull plows through flooded rice fields with draft animals.

Thx-Ace

On 5/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, Delta Dirt said:

Been there-----done that

Lookin' at those photos, no dang wonder I liked airplanes mo-bettah!

best, randy

On 5/8/2019 at 10:14 PM, acem said:

Thx-Ace

image1.jpeg

One of these times I get to AR, I'd like to go see a rice farm. As I understand, Arkansas (or Louisiana? both?) grows almost all of the domestic rice crop. Is that true? I've seen them from the road, but never up close. It's such a unique type of farming.

I remember watching an older family friend  do some water leveling back in the '60s up in Bolivar County, Mississippi using a couple of M-F 90 tractors and a small blade.

Unbelievable how much dirt they were moving (rolling/floating) with the aid of the water with such a small tractor.  Just kept cutting the ridge in shallow water and dumping in deep water.

Bigger 4 wheel drives plus laser nowadays probably work much better.

The Massey 85 & 90s were popular tractors in the rice fields due to their high clearance.

Worth noting--------by all accounts water is the best engineer of all.  Water has proven an instrument or mis-calibrated laser wrong before on more than one ocassion!!!?

Interesting thread going here Ace-------keep filling us in.  Last water seeding I saw was back in the days of the Stearman (60s or early 70s???).

Wednesday night, we had 4---7" rain across the area-----water was everywhere yesterday.  (more predicted today through weekend)

It takes 27,154 gallons for an acre/inch.  So---- 4" of rain = 108,000+ gallons per acre.  Multiply that time the acreage in several states--------its mind boggling as to how much water falls out of one of these big storms!!!!

Good luck to everyone in getting their crops in---------it is not a routine year.

DD

Archived