Saw this pic on Facebook of a local 81 year old farmer, He lives about 3 miles from us and still farms about 1200 acres. Just thought it was a neat pic of him and his 1979 white with the old V8 engine, the tractor is used every year for tillage and he still does most of his own work.

8D1CA7C1-A8DB-460B-A12C-9F8427CD540F.jpeg

• Like 16

20 years past most guys 

just heard of a neighbor that was missing from church this past Sunday 

he lives alone at 96 years old 

stil goes out cuts wood by himself 

his kids (I say kids but they are retirement age) went looking found him pinned under a tree been laying there for 20 hrs. 

A few broken ribs but otherwise ok

tuff old guy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

20 years past most guys 

his kids (I say kids but they are retirement age) went looking found him pinned under a tree been laying there for 20 hrs. 

tuff old guy

That same thing happened to my Grandpa back in the 50s ! Heard him hollering back in the woods, went running back there and found him pinned under a Ash tree across his leg ! I got a sapling cut and jammed  it under the butt and lifted it enough to free him. He says I'm okay, I look at his leg and the knee is bending side ways! I picked him up and put him on the back of the tractor and hauled out of the woods as fast as we could go and then to the hospital. Bone split from knee to the shin so they put screws in it and not much of a cast on it ! In six weeks he was back in the woods cutting firewood . Tough old guy he was !

Wife's uncle was like that. He was ornery, never married. Farmed for decades and only gave that up when they told him he had to upgrade to a bulk tank and pipeline in the mid 80's. Sold out, bought a small house. Then he fished and cut firewood. Died about 15 years ago. Had a house fire. The foundation savers basically did what they do now. Made sure it didn't spread and watched it burn. Cops had to physically restrain him. He was 92 and he was going to beat the fire chief. Family found him a place to live. Tight guy "wasn't paying for no insurance". And I think that's what killed him. He didn't have anything to do. Last couple of years he didn't have his firewood to cut. 

Rick

• Sad 1

Those people need a purpose in life.

You take away their ability to work and you are killing them.

The "Do Gooders" need to listen to people.

Different people have different needs.

Do what you want, not what others want you to do, and enjoy life.

Because it is too short!

• Like 11

Dad will be 80 in November this week he has been spreading fertilizer and bush hogging.     Hard too keep him on task, he likes to jump from one job to another but that’s the way he always was.        Iam the same way 

• Like 6

Cleston definitely goes to the beat of a different drummer, he is a good friend of mine and has been for many many years.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Those people need a purpose in life.

You take away their ability to work and you are killing them.

The "Do Gooders" need to listen to people.

Different people have different needs.

Do what you want, not what others want you to do, and enjoy life.

Because it is too short!

It breaks a persons spirit, that’s what kills them. Best of intentions aren’t always the best course of action.

I remember my Aunt when she got so she couldn’t stay at home, someone mentioned that she should be put into a “home”, not go to a home, but put in a home. She was dead a week later.

Her and her sister were really close, talking to each other several times a day. The sister died 14 days later.

Best of intentions...my *ss. It’s what was most convenient to her care providers. There should be a special place in H*** for these types of care providers.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

It breaks a persons spirit, that’s what kills them. Best of intentions aren’t always the best course of action.

I remember my Aunt when she got so she couldn’t stay at home, someone mentioned that she should be put into a “home”, not go to a home, but put in a home. She was dead a week later.

Her and her sister were really close, talking to each other several times a day. The sister died 14 days later.

Best of intentions...my *ss. It’s what was most convenient to her care providers. There should be a special place in H*** for these types of care providers.

Your so right .

I see kids telling the parents they should not drive or they should consider a home and in my opinion its all for the kids comfort and preservation of estate. "Dollars"

In my case , I have people telling me I should travel abroad and spend more time at the coast. Otherwise I am not enjoying my elder years or my retirement.

I tell them give me my shop , my greasy cantankrous old projects, my living in the country , my Motor home to explore the flyover country , and the **** with traveling abroad and getting caught in tourist traps and the **** with big Cities , Stick your Pruis where the shine don't shine and give me an old dirty Duramax and a gooseneck trailer, and greasy carhartt coveralls..

I tell my City kids if your try to interfere in my lifestyle till I die ,you will be the ones receiving the ONE Dollar, Mentioned in the will,  The trust is a living document, can be changed anytime as long as I am of sound mine, lol,lol.  Think I've  known my attorney long enough that He can tell if I am sound or not.

May be harsh but I hate to see relatives ",DO WHAT IS BEST " for their loved ones without listening or considering  the parents happiness.

My FIL is 92 and has to have a driving test every two years and he just passed it, good till 94 and the two girls are all nervous , I told them if you want to kill your Dad take his keys and they say what if he causes an accident and my answer is ;"**** he has had insurance for ever and never needed it that what his policy is for and as far as he hurting someone with the car " ",**** he does not drive fast enough to kill anyone". lol.

Like they say in medical care , You Have To Be Your Own Advocate !

Tony

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Your so right .

I see kids telling the parents they should not drive or they should consider a home and in my opinion its all for the kids comfort and preservation of estate. "Dollars"

In my case , I have people telling me I should travel abroad and spend more time at the coast. Otherwise I am not enjoying my elder years or my retirement.

I tell them give me my shop , my greasy cantankrous old projects, my living in the country , my Motor home to explore the flyover country , and the **** with traveling abroad and getting caught in tourist traps and the **** with big Cities , Stick your Pruis where the shine don't shine and give me an old dirty Duramax and a gooseneck trailer, and greasy carhartt coveralls..

I tell my City kids if your try to interfere in my lifestyle till I die ,you will be the ones receiving the ONE Dollar, Mentioned in the will,  The trust is a living document, can be changed anytime as long as I am of sound mine, lol,lol.  Think I've  known my attorney long enough that He can tell if I am sound or not.

May be harsh but I hate to see relatives ",DO WHAT IS BEST " for their loved ones without listening or considering  the parents happiness.

My FIL is 92 and has to have a driving test every two years and he just passed it, good till 94 and the two girls are all nervous , I told them if you want to kill your Dad take his keys and they say what if he causes an accident and my answer is ;"**** he has had insurance for ever and never needed it that what his policy is for and as far as he hurting someone with the car " ",**** he does not drive fast enough to kill anyone". lol.

Like they say in medical care , You Have To Be Your Own Advocate !

Tony

I don’t know what the answer is but in my opinion these places are horrendous for the elderly and just a convenience for their families that don’t want to, can’t provide, or are simply not capable of providing for their parents. Meanwhile these places exist because society says they have to.

• Like 2

Sadly imo nursing homes have become or maybe always were a place to warehouse those who are no longer mentaly or physically capable of taking care of them selves ..by the time you HAVE to go there there are no real good options left...they keep you safe and healthy as they can if its a good one and if its a bad one well....

As far as preserving an inheritance as someone alluded to...homes will take it all if a person lives long enough.......

• Like 1
On 5/8/2019 at 8:33 PM, dumbfarmer said:

20 years past most guys 

tuff old guy

Geez I don't know whether to say "How terrible" or "Great!"... I suppose that story is both!

• Like 1

One thing to point out some people are young for 90 some people are old for 60. Talk of having to tell your parents not to drive. This is a hard one. I am 48 dad is 78. Dad always has been honery to the point of being stupid about it. He has Parkinson’s dementia and very poor eyesight from years of neglect. I was the one who got the phone calls from neighbors and friends about him driving on wrong side of road being parked in intersections and such. Dad ended up in hospital and I told him no more driving. This lead to all out war. They even called community action abuse shelter to get money to hire lawyer for abused elderly to keep driving. The point is at sometime in your life routine things become dangerous and most elderly people don’t realize or don’t want to and even farming is dangerous.  As in the case of driving if I saved one persons life by making dad give up driving it was well worth it. Seen this happen before even here. About 7 years ago a 74 year old driver rear ended a horse and wagon killing a 50 year old local man And causing a severe life long disability for his granddaughter. The man couldn’t see any more and liked to visit local hometown bar in the afternoon. He had a few drinks got on the road and killed a person. His driving had been reported many times also. It just comes to a point even if you made it to 90 you can’t make the best decisions anymore. What really made me know dad couldn’t drive. I called the farm to get a ride from field a mile away. Dad pulls up to hiway stop sign as a semi is speeding around curves. I was just watching as I thought he is going get killed in front of my eyes. Thankfully he did stop as semi roared past.

7 minutes ago, dale560 said:

One thing to point out some people are young for 90 some people are old for 60. Talk of having to tell your parents not to drive. This is a hard one. I am 48 dad is 78. Dad always has been honery to the point of being stupid about it. He has Parkinson’s dementia and very poor eyesight from years of neglect. I was the one who got the phone calls from neighbors and friends about him driving on wrong side of road being parked in intersections and such. Dad ended up in hospital and I told him no more driving. This lead to all out war. They even called community action abuse shelter to get money to hire lawyer for abused elderly to keep driving. The point is at sometime in your life routine things become dangerous and most elderly people don’t realize or don’t want to and even farming is dangerous.  As in the case of driving if I saved one persons life by making dad give up driving it was well worth it. Seen this happen before even here. About 7 years ago a 74 year old driver rear ended a horse and wagon killing a 50 year old local man And causing a severe life long disability for his granddaughter. The man couldn’t see any more and liked to visit local hometown bar in the afternoon. He had a few drinks got on the road and killed a person. His driving had been reported many times also. It just comes to a point even if you made it to 90 you can’t make the best decisions anymore. What really made me know dad couldn’t drive. I called the farm to get a ride from field a mile away. Dad pulls up to hiway stop sign as a semi is speeding around curves. I was just watching as I thought he is going get killed in front of my eyes. Thankfully he did stop as semi roared past.

I’m with you on the driving thing, ya it’s a tough call to take someone’s licence but it’s still better than killing somebody. I drove truck for 20 years & by far my closest calls where older people either pulling out in front of you, or going way to slow & holding up traffic. Had a truck take the ditch & needed killing driver to avoid an older lady who pulled off gravel onto highway right in front of him. Younger drivers was usually speed, but they at least got outta your way. We been lucky that way I guess, dad had a stroke 11 years ago & hasn’t drove since then,he’s 80 in Nov. mother is 78 & just usually drives around town. 

I'd rode shotgun with Dad for a million miles I bet,  the last 20 miles I rode with him scared me to death!  Had some slow poke running 20-25 mph holding up traffic on a state highway and everybody including Dad was tailgating.

Folks had bad problems when Mom's Dad was around 80-82. No car insurance, no valid license,  but Grandpa just jumped into whatever old wreck of a car or pickup he could get running and went to town, and maybe had a malted beverage or two at the local watering hole before going home. Dad grew up neighbors to the County Sheriff when they were kids,  Dad went and asked if a Deputy could stop Gramp's,  cuff him, take him home. Scare him into not driving. Sheriff told Dad that he would not do any such thing. Dad paid Gramps a visit late one night, disabled all his junky old cars & his pickup. His driving days were finally over.  Gramps was never a very good operator of any motorized equipment,  he never quite got used to anything after learning to drive a team of horses.

My father turns 80 this Sunday. We bought today a new service van for him.

He has just done overhauling a small baler and the nexr one is waiting.

• Like 1

It seems the number one thing with those old guys is they never stop moving. There's fewer and fewer of them everyday. Fast food,TV and the internet has slowed a lot of us down.

• Sad 1

Neighbors mother was a horrible driver, always in the middle of the road if not on the wrong side.

They tried numerous times to get her to stop, taking keys away, but she always had a spare key. Finally they pulled a coil wire and when the car wouldn’t start she would call someone else to drive her places. I don’t think she ever caught on to it.

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sadly imo nursing homes have become or maybe always were a place to warehouse those who are no longer mentaly or physically capable of taking care of them selves ..by the time you HAVE to go there there are no real good options left...they keep you safe and healthy as they can if its a good one and if its a bad one well....

As far as preserving an inheritance as someone alluded to...homes will take it all if a person lives long enough.......

Yup. Why preserve an inheritance, kids will just piss it away. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! If there’s anything left, they can bury you with it!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BartVD said:

My father turns 80 this Sunday. We bought today a new service van for him.

He has just done overhauling a small baler and the nexr one is waiting.

Some people are young for 80 or 90 and some are very old for 60. Good for your Dad. My dad was never one to stop or let us stop working . 144 hours in a week and a kid should put in at least 125 to 130 hours of labor. He can’t dress himself or use the toilet at 79

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, dale560 said:

Some people are young for 80 or 90 and some are very old for 60. Good for your Dad. My dad was never one to stop or let us stop working . 144 hours in a week and a kid should put in at least 125 to 130 hours of labor. He can’t dress himself or use the toilet at 79

Had a neighbor live to be 106(?) He had a heart attack at 25. Doctors said he wouldn’t see 50. His son died in his 70’s. This guy was always active and sharp as all can be. Very respected and admired man.